Need to replace VIP722. Have 2 EHDs full of programs

The 211(no Z) is what's in service.
My 211z is a unsubscribed spare. I think I bought it on eBay
The Z was in use for about a day before I figured out I could repair the 211(noZ)
A EHD works on the 211, it just can not access a old EHD that was loaded with programs.
I don't have a Hopper

The 211(no Z) is what's in service.
My 211z is a unsubscribed spare. I think I bought it on eBay
The Z was in use for about a day before I figured out I could repair the 211(noZ)
A EHD works on the 211, it just can not access a old EHD that was loaded with programs.
I don't have a Hopper
You say an EHD works on the 211 but can't access an old EHD that is loaded with programs. What kind of receiver was that old EHD attached to? And, was the receiver that old EHD was attached to on the same account number as the existing 211?

Reactions: charlesrshell
You say an EHD works on the 211 but can't access an old EHD that is loaded with programs. What kind of receiver was that old EHD attached to? And, was the receiver that old EHD was attached to on the same account number as the existing 211?
Recording on old EHD were made on the same 211 that is in use now. I've only ever had the same account.

Reactions: pattykay
Recording on old EHD were made on the same 211 that is in use now. I've only ever had the same account.
OK, was just checking. What you might try is this: unplug any EHD that you have in that 211. Next, unplug the 211 from power for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and let it boot up. After you have channels plug the old EHD into the USB port. What happens?

The replacement VIP722 has shut down with a high temperature message 145 degrees. It was not even pushed back in the cabinet yet. It's sitting on a milk crate in front of the cabinet, with free air around it. It's come back to life with the cover off and a external fan blowing on it. Thought I would swap the fan out from the old unit.
Does anybody know if the internal fan is supposed to run continuously or does it only come on at higher temps?

Even the Hopper Duo runs more quietly than a ViP DVR.
I can agree with the low fan noise on the duo, if buying used though, DO NOT OPEN IT TO CLEAN THE FAN, turns out that dish has made it to if you take out one of the screws it will break so then half the unit won't stay closed. I'm assuming that dish has done this to tell whether the warranty has been VOID.

I can agree with the low fan noise on the duo, if buying used though, DO NOT OPEN IT TO CLEAN THE FAN, turns out that dish has made it to if you take out one of the screws it will break so then half the unit won't stay closed. I'm assuming that dish has done this to tell whether the warranty has been VOID.
I'm not sure exactly what you broke, but I can say that I was able to successfully take apart a Hopper Duo and put it back together without that kind of problem. I was even able to put a non-working hard drive inside it, so I could salvage the internal hard drive that originally came in it, before I sent it back to Dish. (That Hopper Duo had died from some other issue, but the internal hard drive was still functional.)

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm not sure exactly what you broke, but I can say that I was able to successfully take apart a Hopper Duo and put it back together without that kind of problem. I was even able to put a non-working hard drive inside it, so I could salvage the internal hard drive that originally came in it, before I sent it back to Dish. (That Hopper Duo had died from some other issue, but the internal hard drive was still functional.)
I’m assuming I put a screw in the wrong spot

I'm running it with the cover off and trying to observe the fan operation. Mostly I don't see the fan running. It ran a little when the unit was first powered up. At some point I'm gonna stick a meter on the fan wires and see if it's powered to run and not starting. Perhaps it stays cool enough with the cover off to not switch the fan on. I turned off the exterior fan that was blowing over it yesterday.
I did hear some noises one night that could have been fan bearing noises or from something else altogether.

Still running my VIP722 with the case off. It had shut down on high temp.
Now after 4 months with the cover off here are the HD temperatures
High 116, low 107, avg 111
If I put my fingers on the HD it feel hotter than the HDs I touched on a couple old computers, but those were old computers with smaller capacity drives.
This refurb VIP722 is dirtier inside than the one it replaced.
I've not been able to confirm if the fan is coming on. I think I runs a little at power up, than stops.

I still have the old one and may still attempt fixing it. There is one very slightly bulging capacitor on the power supply I could replace or swap the power supply in from the refurb and see what happens.

Another thing that happened with both VIP722s is the EHD they seem to lose the EHD connection after a while. It can be restored by some combination of power down & up the EHD power and or unplug & replug the USB. I wonder if these HDs have some power shut down time out feature. Anyway once connected & functioning they work long enough to watch whatever or transfer a bunch of recordings. So I can kinda live with it.

It needs to have a OTA tuner. Sometimes atmospheric conditions can interfere with satellite reception while OTA reception still works. We get probably 50 OTA channels, including the major networks. The 722 can record OTA at the same time as satellite.

It needs to have component output in case I want to use one of my old projectors. I have a box that is supposed to enable recording HD from a component output to a computer. I just never got around to hooking it all up to try it.

It needs to have a analog uhf/or vhf output cus that feeds into a antenna distribution system so any tv anywhere in the house can display whatever is on the dish box.

It needs to respond to the 722s uhf remotes that are near those other tvs all over the house.
Note: the SD analog picture is good enough for little bedroom tv's.

It needs to not have an increased monthly cost.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It needs to have a OTA tuner. Sometimes atmospheric conditions can interfere with satellite reception while OTA reception still works. We get probably 50 OTA channels, including the major networks. The 722 can record OTA at the same time as satellite.
While not internal, it can be purchased and attached to a USB port on the back out of sight. The modern ones are dual tuners, so two separate station recording alongside satellite recording is possible.

It needs to have component output in case I want to use one of my old projectors. I have a box that is supposed to enable recording HD from a component output to a computer. I just never got around to hooking it all up to try it.
Hopper 1, 2 and 3 all have component out, the Hopper Duo (being the "budget" model) has composite out only. The "Plus" versions of the Hopper2/3 are HDMI exclusive. Still have a slingbox (RIP) attached to one of my two Hopper3's.

It needs to have a analog uhf/or vhf output cus that feeds into a antenna distribution system so any tv anywhere in the house can display whatever is on the dish box.
An inexpensive modulator can be had for $10-20 bucks that connects to the composite output of a Hopper and transmits on channel 3/4, only issue here is that the component and composite outputs share audio jacks. You could get creative with splitters or use a Joey (second box or "head" to a Hopper system, has a monthly fee however) that also has composite outputs.

It needs to respond to the 722s uhf remotes that are near those other tvs all over the house.
If you want to use the same 20/21 model remotes via UHF that wont be possible, Hopper generation receivers can only use those remotes in IR mode. All Hopper remotes are UHF, so you could purchase the model 40.0 which has an identical layout to 20/21 remotes and spread those around the home instead.

Note: the SD analog picture is good enough for little bedroom tv's.
These will remain the same if you go with and RF modulator.

It needs to not have an increased monthly cost.
And here is the deal breaker, as there is no Hopper receiver with the same monthly cost as a 722. I'm guessing you are getting the 722 at $7 per month, so you could go for a Hopper Duo at $10, but it only has a composite out as previously mentioned and a rather short UHF remote range given the antenna is internal. You could also try your luck at getting a Hopper3 discounted from dish (IIRC new customers get $5 off making the monthly rate $10) but you are spinning the CSR roulette at that point.

Good information, thank you. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Hoppers.
I have another 722 coming intended as a parts unit. I just want to swap a different power supply in to my original 722 and see what happens. It was $23. If nothing else I get a spare hard drive for PC use.
I also have 2 DishPlayer OTA PVRs.

Bad caps tend to bulge and are easy to spot. Or do some not work that way?
Heat gun or cold spray can aid sometimes finding the ones that don't bulge, I always look at the ones near heat sinks first even dust on a board can create odd effects. Once I fixed an old C-band receiver and found black and white hair causing it to fail, after I fired it up, the owner says to me, a hair did it, I said it was black and white just like your dog's hair that is chewing on my boot right now.

I hooked up the auction 722 and it seems to work. I don't have the splitter thing to connect to the 2 sat inputs. I borrowed the cable from my vip211 in the basement which has one sat input. Had trouble getting a UHF remote to work but a IR remote works. This ones got no OTA module. It has a bunch of news programs from 2018 that will play back okay.
I'm just gonna let it cook a few days than it it don't fail, swap the power supply in to the 722 that died and see it that fixes it.
And cus I'm a hoarder, another VIP722 is coming. Appears to be a still in the box refurb. $4.95 plus shipping.