Need to run 2 recievers from 1 cable. How?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BLiTzNicK

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I need to run 2 receivers from 1 cable. I tried a splitter, but lose various channels on both boxes. Is there any way to connect the 2 receivers to 1 cable and have all my channels show up? I could run another cable from the Sat, but it would be a lot easier to just splice the 2 receivers into 1 cable.

Help!!

BLiTzNicK said:
I need to run 2 receivers from 1 cable. I tried a splitter, but lose various channels on both boxes. Is there any way to connect the 2 receivers to 1 cable and have all my channels show up? I could run another cable from the Sat, but it would be a lot easier to just splice the 2 receivers into 1 cable.

Help!!

I assume you have a D* box and are trying to split the signal from your satellite dish. If my assumptions are correct, you are out of luck. The onle solution is run another coax.

Yes, you can't use splitters with D* because the receivers send signals back up the Coax to say which satellite they want to receive, so with a splitter the two receivers end up fighting each other for control...

Thanks for the help. Upon recommendation by a friend, I put on a different 4 way splitter, and now everything works fine. This is very weird.

dont undersatnd how its working since you can't split a signal. When you have one box on a channel that is one polarity and the other box on a different channel, they'll clash :)

Maybe he means he added a multi-switch per the buddy's recommendation? Some peeps still call them both splitters by mistake or just not knowing they are different devices.

true...didnt think about that. But a multiswitch needs 2 lines in and he said there is only one line there

Hey guys, this brought up a question for me. I am fully aware that you can't split a sat signal with a splitter. But would it work temporarily, if you didn't need to change the channel on either TV?

I'm thinking of something like Sunday ticket where you want to temporarily have multiple TVs in a room. OK, I am going to get all of the technical terms wrong but here goes:

If you split the signal with a splitter and tuned to two channels that shared the same (tone/frequency/transponder) and just left them on those channels, would it work?

What is the correct "thing" in parenthesis in my sentance above that they need to share for this to work, if it does?

Nah, I didn't use a multiswitch, just a 4 way splitter. I know it's not supposed to work, but it is.

Good way to short your hardware out. You tune to two separate voltages and you are gonna screw stuff up. Just spend a few dollars and do it correctly.

Repeat: SPLITTERS WILL NOT WORK. When the two receivers are requesting different satellites/transponder sets, only one will get the satellite or transponder set (odd/even) it is requesting.

jake14mw said:
Hey guys, this brought up a question for me. I am fully aware that you can't split a sat signal with a splitter. But would it work temporarily, if you didn't need to change the channel on either TV?

I'm thinking of something like Sunday ticket where you want to temporarily have multiple TVs in a room. OK, I am going to get all of the technical terms wrong but here goes:

If you split the signal with a splitter and tuned to two channels that shared the same (tone/frequency/transponder) and just left them on those channels, would it work?

What is the correct "thing" in parenthesis in my sentance above that they need to share for this to work, if it does?

Yes, I've done this. I have a TV in my computer room. Main TV is in Family rRoom where my wife teaches Piano. I put in an A/B switch from The reciever and ran a coax to my other TV. I still have to set the channel where the receiver is but I can than watch TV in the other room while my wife is teaching. Looks like hell, but it works

BLiTzNicK said:
Nah, I didn't use a multiswitch, just a 4 way splitter. I know it's not supposed to work, but it is.
You maybe using the high frequency splitter, but there is one problem, one bad surge and you risk burn (fire) both the receivers.

bjdotson said:
Yes, I've done this. I have a TV in my computer room. Main TV is in Family rRoom where my wife teaches Piano. I put in an A/B switch from The reciever and ran a coax to my other TV. I still have to set the channel where the receiver is but I can than watch TV in the other room while my wife is teaching. Looks like hell, but it works

That's not what I mean. I am talking about splitting the signal TO two different RECEIVERS. I am thinking it would work as long as you don't change the channels on either receiver.

If you use one receiver at at time...

Im wondering if it will work if you use one receiver at a time?? Like if you have a receiver that you want to add on for special occasions with specific programming but you dont want to disconnect the cable from the existing receiver in that room.
Could you use the splitter or does the splitter make it uncapable of sending the signals back to the dish??

This could work but you would need a broadband splitter with power passing on both legs AND you would need to disconnect one of the receivers in order to use the other. If the receiver you're not "using" is connected then it will still be asking for a satellite selection. And powering off will not help, it only switches off the outputs to your TV, there is actually no "off" as such.

texasbrit said:
This could work but you would need a broadband splitter with power passing on both legs AND you would need to disconnect one of the receivers in order to use the other. If the receiver you're not "using" is connected then it will still be asking for a satellite selection. And powering off will not help, it only switches off the outputs to your TV, there is actually no "off" as such.

Just throwing this out there since I do not know all the inner workings of the receivers, but if you get a splitter that passes DC on one port (connected to receiver A) and blocks DC on the other port (connected to receiver B) and you have adequate signal from the LNB to overcome splitter loss, could you not tune receiver B to whatever channel you want without "risk" of damage? If you tune to a channel with the same polarity configuration as receiver A, would you not receive the channel?

But you just won't get the channel you want, unless the other receiver is set to the same channel "set".
13v selects horizontal polarization which is one set of transponders on satellite A, 18v selects the other set. Then there is a 22khz tone which selects sats b/c. So if you use a single splitter and two receivers then the system will respond to whatever it sees. If it sees the 22khz tone it will select sat B/C, if it doesn't it will select sat A. If it sees 13v it will select horizontal polarization and if it sees 18v it will select vertical polarization. So if you have two receivers they will both only be able to see one satellite at once and only one half of the transponders. Eliminating power-passing from one leg simply means the other receiver will be in control. So the only way to use two receivers on one cable with a splitter is if they are both looking at the same transponder set. So if you want receiver II to look at a channel you will have to make sure receiver I is set to the same satellite and polarization. And even if one is "off" it will still be sending out the voltage selection and possibly the tone for the last set of channels it had requested. Preventing the second receiver from passing DC through the splitter does not help because it means it will ALWAYS only receive the channel set requested by receiver I.

But what is true, and I think what you may be getting at, is that if you set receiver I to a channel (say ESPN) and you set receiver II to the same channel, they will (should) both work...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

External HDD?

DTV using E* mount?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)