Neighbor changing my channels

cbbcscripter

Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I have an 811 and my channels are now being changed by my neighbor. Luckily it is only when he watches Dish when he goes to bed so it's only for 1/2 hour to an hour but it still sucks. I'm not sure which receiver he has but he said it has a blue light and a green light (I asked if it was silver and he said no). I'm thinking he has the 322 so when he goes to bed he uses the UHF remote which changes my channels through the UHF on the 811. If I disconnect the UHF antenna it stops changing. I know for sure it's him because the problem stopped for three weeks, which was the same 3 weeks he was in England.

I saw a similar post where someone was instructed to change the address for their remote--can this be done on the 811 or maybe on my neighbor's receiver? Any other solutions? I have all local HD OTA channels and the HD package so I need to have an HD receiver.

cbbcscripter said:
I have an 811 and my channels are now being changed by my neighbor.

I can't answer your question but my sister had a Sears garage door opener and a few years after it was installed she noticed that sometimes when she got home from work her garage door would be open. After a few days she noticed that a neighbor's garage door would open when she opened her garage door. She realized that the neighbor must have installed a garage door opener. She knew that the codes could be changed so that she and the neighbor could coexist so she called Sears. Sears told her that since her system had been installed a couple years before that if she wanted to have her code changed there would be a service charge, but since the neighbor had just recently had his installed, if the neighbor called to have his changed there would be no charge to him. Well my sister armed with this information asked the neighbor if he would be willing to call Sears to have his code changed.The neighbor flatly refused and told her to change her code. Well my sister was undaunted. Her opener worked on his door too! Every time she left from or returned to her house she made sure his door was left open. It only took a few days for him to get the point and the problem somehow disappeared. :D

Change the remote ID on you 811, the instruction manual tells you how to do that. A long time ago I had a couple Sony A1 D* boxes and all of a sudden tehy started to change channels on their own. It then dawned on my that a neighbor across the street just sprouted a Sony DBS dish so all I did was change my ID's and no more problems.

That's just like Poltergeist!! You know at the very beginning where 'Steven' the dad(Craig T Nelson) and the guys are all over to watch a football game, and the next door neighbor keeps changing it to Mr. Rogers(like Mr. Rogers is ever shown on Sunday). CBBScripter: I would turn your receiver off, and watch the TV on Channel 3 with static, if it starts talking, throw it out the window and run FAST.

I had a similar problem although mine was internal since I had an 811 and 522. One remote would change the channel on the other receiver until I changed the remote address.

Its simple enough to do.

Press the Sys Info button on the front of your 811.

Press and hold the SAT button on your remote.

When all of the buttons blink across the top, let go.

Punch in a number from 1 to 16 as long as it isn't the number that is already displayed for the remote on the Sys Info screen.

Press #

Press the [Record] button.

The SAT button should blink 3 times telling you that you did it right.

The TV Sys info screen should now have your remotes new address that you punched in.

Thats it.

Note: If you want to really mess with your neighbor, you can always just change your remote back to 1 without going to the sys info screen and doing the same steps on the remote by itself. I don't know how well you like your neighbor though. :dev

Pb ft. said:
I can't answer your question but my sister had a Sears garage door opener and a few years after it was installed she noticed that sometimes when she got home from work her garage door would be open. After a few days she noticed that a neighbor's garage door would open when she opened her garage door. She realized that the neighbor must have installed a garage door opener. She knew that the codes could be changed so that she and the neighbor could coexist so she called Sears. Sears told her that since her system had been installed a couple years before that if she wanted to have her code changed there would be a service charge, but since the neighbor had just recently had his installed, if the neighbor called to have his changed there would be no charge to him. Well my sister armed with this information asked the neighbor if he would be willing to call Sears to have his code changed.The neighbor flatly refused and told her to change her code. Well my sister was undaunted. Her opener worked on his door too! Every time she left from or returned to her house she made sure his door was left open. It only took a few days for him to get the point and the problem somehow disappeared. :D

TO me this says that the garage door was never changed from the factory defaults. I would consider this the First thing you need to do whe installing a door opener after the physical instalation is done. I have never seen a door opener that is too dificult to change even if it involves some wire sniping like some of the older models. Most are a series of dip switches. The manual will give you simple directions for the process and even if you can't do it a friend ro relative should be able too.

If you are relying on the door as ANY leave of security you should move it from the facotry defaults. IT sounds like your sister is still there AND the uncoporative neighbor that she P***** off by opening / closing his door STILL knows here access codes and could get in any time he wanted. I would sugest that she change hers too and if you can't figure it out PAY the price.

If the neighbor can change your channel, then you can change your neighbors channel because you both are using the same remote id. If the neighbor doesn't know about this, you can have lots of fun :D

Or, read the 811 manual and change your remote id.

Keith.

Nebugeater said:
TO me this says that the garage door was never changed from the factory defaults. I would consider this the First thing you need to do whe installing a door opener after the physical instalation is done. I have never seen a door opener that is too dificult to change even if it involves some wire sniping like some of the older models. Most are a series of dip switches. The manual will give you simple directions for the process and even if you can't do it a friend ro relative should be able too.

If you are relying on the door as ANY leave of security you should move it from the facotry defaults. IT sounds like your sister is still there AND the uncoporative neighbor that she P***** off by opening / closing his door STILL knows here access codes and could get in any time he wanted. I would sugest that she change hers too and if you can't figure it out PAY the price.

Actually I related the story as my sister told it. It happened about 15 years ago and since then my syster moved 4 times the last time was her last move, may her soul rest in peace. However, to have known my syster is to know that if a "dip" could switch switches to fix the problem she would want to know where to find a dip to switch the dip switches.

My car pool buddies elderly mother in law lost her remote... in her recliener :) every time she moved the chair... He got calls for a couple of weeks from her "my garage door keeps opening itself". He would have to drop what he was doing and close it for her :D

Thanks for the replies. I followed the instructions provided by Mark in Arkansas and the problem has been solved! ...no longer is my Sportscenter or Chappelle's Show viewing being changed to the Lifetime Movie Network.