netflix 30 day delay

putterboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Greetings to all, So, I tried to get a movie for the wife today from Netflix. THE TIME TRAVELERS WIFE. Netflix site says it releases 3/9, but it actually released today 2/9. Called Netflix, was told because of an agreement with the studio, they can't release it for 30 days. I have not heard of this in the past, anyone have a similar experience? Just curious

Not sure with Netflix but I know with the Redbox's there are some studios that make them wait like 30 days before they can make them available. I'm sure it has something to do with DVD/Blu-ray sales.

Thanks Thiggin2, Link to story was excellent. May not like it, but at least understand it.

I still don't get it. The Netflix draw. What is it that makes Netflix so desirable?

When I tried it I compared 4 services:

1. Blockbuster Movie Pass 2 out at a time for $29 a month
2. Hollywood Movie pass equivalent ( now out of business) $30 a month for 2 out at a time but restricted to 2 month old releases.
3. Blockbuster on line- 2 at a time for $16 a month and turn in to store for 2 more plus 2 from the store free.
4. Netflix- was $18 a month for 2 at a time out.

I listed them in order of the best deal ( for me)

The Netflix was the slowest and at best I'd get one new release a month waiting 2-3 weeks. The cue had to be filled with old movies and documentaries to even get any value. I ened up watching more old movies I've seen before than ever.

The best was Blockbuster Movie Pass. The only disadvantage was I had to drive the mile trip to the store each day but was guaranteed getting new releases less than a week old up to 2 per day, 14 per week. (about the maximum I could handle) The limit was mine, not the program. Today, the store I use gets about 8 new Blue Ray disk titles, popular titles are 30-50 copies each, each week plus a dozen or so SD DVD's each week on Tuesdays and once in awhile a Blockbuster exclusive Blue Ray title on Fridays.

The only issue I had with BB online was similar to the Netflix. It was slow and I only ever got old releases with my cue only sending out junk titles, otherwise, I didn't get any! Plus when I would get those titles, I didn't even watch them but used them to turn in to the store for a store recent release. Blockbuster just became a barter tool for me to avoid making a daily trip to the store and just go every other day. I could have added 4 additional titles to my weekly viewing and make it pay, but I just didn't have that much time.

IMO, Blockbuster Movie Pass pays if you rent more than 6 movies a month, every month.

I would only have Netflix, if I had no other rental facilities within 15 miles travel distance, or, I preferred to get what they selected for me to watch not what I wanted to watch.

From what I read on this deal it just takes what I think is a poor service and makes it worse. I do recognize that Netflix is quite popular and seems to be doing well. I'm happy for those that find it to their liking. BUT, if you aren't happy, maybe it's time to see what your local rentals stores offer in a Movie Pass like system.

OK, more reading and I think I do get it now. This will be a test run to see if a mandatory delay between the DVD retail sales and the rental purchase will generate more retail sales. The studios want to convert more renters into buyers.

This will help companies like BB and Amazon who sell retail as well as rent, but I don't see it helps Netflix much because eventually, all competition will get the same discounted priced rental copies. It will create an additional 28 day delay in the viewing of new releases by people like me who rarely buy and don't follow the theatrical premieres. There are exceptions, like Avatar. I saw it in the theater 3 months after premiere but now look forward to seeing it again at home. So, I may be waiting 6 months rather than 5 months. BFD!
Additionally, I would not have seen Avatar even yet had it not been in my face at CES. So having seen it, I know it is a movie worth shelf space here for repeat viewing but I'll have to wait 28 days longer to rent it? Maybe not. I just may order it and get it free using my points on my credit card. The last dozen Blu Rays I've purchased have been through those points so it is like getting them free.
Anyway, I don't see the 28 day delay being such a big deal and if it helps make profits at Blockbuster ( Netflix too) then I'm all for it. If it helps Warner make more sales for their bottom line, I'm for that too as long as they don't start getting greedy. Personally, as I don't buy that many movies and have no clue whats premiering in the theaters this weekend, it won't affect me much at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts