Netflix buffering on Hopper 3

omeletpants

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
When I connect to Netflix via my Hopper 3, it occasionally (1 of 5 times) buffers endlessly at 25%. Audio of the show works but picture is frozen. This seems to be a known problem with Dish for at least the last year, but nowhere on the internet is there a solution.

Anyone here been able to resolve this problem?

When I connect to Netflix via my Hopper 3, it occasionally (1 of 5 times) buffers endlessly at 25%. Audio of the show works but picture is frozen. This seems to be a known problem with Dish for at least the last year, but nowhere on the internet is there a solution.

Anyone here been able to resolve this problem?

Easy fix, don't use the Hopper3 for Netflix unless you absolutely have to, it has one of the most buggy Netflix implementations going.

Easy fix, don't use the Hopper3 for Netflix unless you absolutely have to, it has one of the most buggy Netflix implementations going.

I have no issues myself. I did for a time when I had AT&T Uverse internet with Arris router. When I switched to Comcast and used owned Linksys discrete WiFi router and cable modem I have had no problems. I recall several posts of WiFi router media handling settings was an issue.

I have no issues myself. I did for a time when I had AT&T Uverse internet with Arris router. When I switched to Comcast and used owned Linksys discrete WiFi router and cable modem I have had no problems. I recall several posts of WiFi router media handling settings was an issue.

And to elaborate H3 and wireless Joey. Buffers for 3-4 seconds then great afterwards. Comcast 25/3 internet.

OK, so I was so focused on trying to get it to work via the Dish remote that I overlooked my new Sony TV remote and that it has a dedicated Netflix button. Tried it out and it works fine and is a bit faster. Thanks!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK, so I was so focused on trying to get it to work via the Dish remote that I overlooked my new Sony TV remote and that it has a dedicated Netflix button. Tried it out and it works fine and is a bit faster. Thanks!!
Netflix on Hopper Eqjip is glitchy. I always tell people to use alternate means for Netflix, if they can

With Netflix on my Hopper3 I always select “Check your network” under the Netflix settings. If I have green check marks for Netflix Server 1, 2, and 3, then I am able to watch Netflix 4K UHD movies with no problems. My reported Netflix connection speed varies from 16-18 Mbps.
If I don’t see the green check marks, I reset Netflix under the Tools menu and that always seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: allargon
Netflix on Hopper Eqjip is glitchy. I always tell people to use alternate means for Netflix, if they can

I'm rather fond of the video feed of Netflix (1080p) on the Hopper 3. I find it better than my Amazon Fire 4K or my Xbox. Now, that 2-channel audio is the pits, of course.

I'm rather fond of the video feed of Netflix (1080p) on the Hopper 3. I find it better than my Amazon Fire 4K or my Xbox. Now, that 2-channel audio is the pits, of course.
Are you saying video quality may be different?

I can get Netflix off of two sources: Hopper3 or through my TV app

Re the Netflix problem. On our Hopper Duo, we have experienced both endless buffering at 25%, and freezing. I have noticed one thing that seems to help us.

On our Hopper Duo, there are two ways to access Netflix. The first is to go to channel 302. I have no idea what happens in the background, but Netflix comes up. The second is to hit MENU. Netflix is one choice among the many. For us, the first choice results in problems around 1 time out of 4. The second has never (in my memory) resulted in a problem. So now we always start from MENU, so as to avoid the annoyance of the power-down reset.

I would be interested in comments.

Bill

I have the exact same problem on my Hopper Duo. I usually start by using the voice command "Netflix." (Occasionally, the Google Assistant banner will respond with a message "Sorry, I am not able to search Netflix yet." This is a separate issue, though. When this happens, the command "Launch Netflix" will usually work properly.) When the Netflix app launches and I select a show to watch, the majority of the time I will get the slow percentage progress increase (1% at a time) until it reaches 25% and freezes there. At that point, I back all the way out of the Netflix app and go to channel 302 instead. Most of the time, this fixes the issue, and Netflix works flawlessly. Some times, I get the 25% issue when going to channel 302, and then backing out of the app and using the voice command to launch it fixes the issue. Go figure.

I have the exact same problem on my Hopper Duo. I usually start by using the voice command "Netflix." (Occasionally, the Google Assistant banner will respond with a message "Sorry, I am not able to search Netflix yet." This is a separate issue, though. When this happens, the command "Launch Netflix" will usually work properly.) When the Netflix app launches and I select a show to watch, the majority of the time I will get the slow percentage progress increase (1% at a time) until it reaches 25% and freezes there. At that point, I back all the way out of the Netflix app and go to channel 302 instead. Most of the time, this fixes the issue, and Netflix works flawlessly. Some times, I get the 25% issue when going to channel 302, and then backing out of the app and using the voice command to launch it fixes the issue. Go figure.

Are you using an Arris router?

The netflix app on the hopper is garbage. Last time I used it (close to a year ago) it would freeze when trying to exit netflix and go back to Dish. Even if you turned it off, it was still there when you turned it back on. Only resetting would get you out of netflix. I use a roku for netflix now, as I don't want to have to reset the hopper every time I use netflix.

Have to agree with the others. Netflix and Prime apps on the stick are VASTLY superior to Dish's implementation. No goofy aspect changes during playback, smooth and no buffering, no playback anomalies. One of the biggest advantages of the Hopper is having these built in apps but they are blowing it with terrible performance compared to stand alone apps.

Reactions: HipKat and olds403
Netflix and Prime apps on the stick are VASTLY superior to Dish's implementation.
I thought it was Netflix or Amazon implementing these apps on various platforms. Am I wrong about that?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts