Netflix Is Dropping Most of Its BBC Shows on January 31

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Bad news for Anglophiles: Thanks to an expiring contract, Netflix is dropping the vast majority of its BBC content from streaming on January 31. It's possible Netflix will come to a new agreement with the Brits before then, but, if not, say good-bye to Doctor Who, Luther, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Coupling, and Top Gear, among others. Anyone got a good harbor to throw some tea into? http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/netflix-is-dropping-bbc-shows-doctor-who.html Netflix will eliminate most of its BBC programs by January 31st due to an expiring contract.
Netflix to Drop Most BBC Series, Movies
Shows like “Doctor Who,” “Luther,” “Black Adder,” “Fawlty Towers,” “Coupling,” “Top Gear,” “House of Cards” (the original British version), “Wallander,” and more will disappear from the streaming network’s lineup in the event an agreement on a new deal isn’t reached.The popular streaming channel entered the winners’ circle at Sunday’s Golden Globes as “House of Cards” star Kevin Spacey won best actor in a TV drama—his first Golden Globe victory.But it was streaming competitor Amazon that took home top honors for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy—as its transgender series “Transparent” starring Jeffrey Tambor was victorious.Netflix has not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment on negotiations with BBC. https://tv.yahoo.com/news/netflix-drop-most-bbc-series-movies-141946128.html

I read that the reason the shows are being dropped from Netflix is because BBC signed an exclusive deal with Amazon Prime. I was in the middle of Doctor Who on Netflix but it's no big deal to me. Now that I know it will be removed I just marked the season and episode I was on and added it to my Prime queue.

I read that the reason the shows are being dropped from Netflix is because BBC signed an exclusive deal with Amazon Prime. I was in the middle of Doctor Who on Netflix but it's no big deal to me. Now that I know it will be removed I just marked the season and episode I was on and added it to my Prime queue.

yeah, that's the info as I understood it. Amazon already had Orphan Black exclusive.

If you are looking for British TV programs check out Acorn TV it is a US based service that offers British programs on demand. It is a subscription service for $49.00 per year. They update their programs weekly. I have had a sub for about a year and dropped netflix for Acorn.

BBC shows have been renewed on Netflix.

http://thebestofnetflix.com/update-doctor-who-top-gear-luther-and-other-bbc-shows-renewed/

Also, I am always amazed at how much negative comments Netflix gets when shows/movies end on the service, I never see the same complaints when a certain movie leaves HBO, that is the nature of the business, contracts end, new stuff is on.

Like when the Viacom kids stuff left Netflix, people complained but but nobody said anything about the content that replaced it, all Dreamworks Animation movies and new TV shows( 3 of the so far, Turbo, Puss in Boots, King Julian and soon the How to Train a Dragon TV show, with new and old episodes), a lot better then reruns from Nick.

Next year they will have the entire Disney library, Marvel, Lucasfilms. Pixar and Disney Films and TV shows, plus all the other stuff they have on now, a lot of stuff to watch for cord cutters.

Last edited:
Next year they will have the entire Disney library, Marvel, Lucasfilms. Pixar and Disney Films and TV shows, plus all the other stuff they have on now, a lot of stuff to watch for cord cutters.
Yea right. So Netflix just dropped about 10 Disney channel shows on January 4th. Now more are going away next month. The only thing they will have left is Jessie. Big deal.

The Dreamworks deal is the only thing saving the constant drop age of kids program.

Also back on topic Amazon is also now going to drop Doctor Who and all the BBC shows so there is no exclusive content there but at least Doctor Who is staying on Netflix but for how long who knows and will they get season 8.

Yea right. So Netflix just dropped about 10 Disney channel shows on January 4th. Now more are going away next month. The only thing they will have left is Jessie. Big deal.

The Dreamworks deal is the only thing saving the constant drop age of kids program.

Also back on topic Amazon is also now going to drop Doctor Who and all the BBC shows so there is no exclusive content there but at least Doctor Who is staying on Netflix but for how long who knows and will they get season 8.

Here is what Disney titles Netflix has on now-
http://instantwatcher.com/genres/160

Looks like this renewal contract was only for 1 year. I started watching Doctor Who again over the weekend only to be greeted by a warning on my Tivo that the show would be removed from Netflix on February 1st. I had never seen a warning like this on my Tivo before and hadn't heard any buzz about it leaving so I double checked on the Netflix website. If I go to my list it confirms that Doctor Who is leaving on February 1st.

This time it's a bigger deal to me because the show is no longer available on Amazon Prime either. I've never seen most of the episodes before but I've been binging lately and I'm midway through season 3. I have no intention of watching 5+ seasons before the end of the month though.

I really hope it gets renewed at the last second again or Amazon Prime picks up the series. I'm hooked now and I don't want to have to buy all of it on blu-ray.

Looks like this renewal contract was only for 1 year. I started watching Doctor Who again over the weekend only to be greeted by a warning on my Tivo that the show would be removed from Netflix on February 1st. I had never seen a warning like this on my Tivo before and hadn't heard any buzz about it leaving so I double checked on the Netflix website. If I go to my list it confirms that Doctor Who is leaving on February 1st.

This time it's a bigger deal to me because the show is no longer available on Amazon Prime either. I've never seen most of the episodes before but I've been binging lately and I'm midway through season 3. I have no intention of watching 5+ seasons before the end of the month though.

I really hope it gets renewed at the last second again or Amazon Prime picks up the series. I'm hooked now and I don't want to have to buy all of it on blu-ray.
Check hulu

Reactions: king3pj
Ah. I wasn't aware that it was also available on Hulu. I do have access to Hulu Plus so I guess I will just start watching it there if it's dropped from Netflix.

Ah. I wasn't aware that it was also available on Hulu. I do have access to Hulu Plus so I guess I will just start watching it there if it's dropped from Netflix.

That is a problem now, different streaming services are getting exclusives on different shows/programming trying to make one have to subscribe to a bunch of different services.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Doctor Who has officially been removed from Netflix. I was hoping they would come to a last minute deal like they did last year but that doesn't seem to be the case. It has also been removed from Hulu Plus and it is not available on Amazon Prime either. It's a bummer for those of us who were trying to catch up but Doctor Who does not seem to be available to stream anywhere unless you buy each season.

I did create a OnePass on my Tivo to record all episodes about a month ago in anticipation of it being removed from streaming services. Luckily BBC America seems to run a couple episodes every day. However, they are rolling it out in a very strange way. They appear to be playing entire seasons in order but they are not airing consecutive seasons. So far I have been able to get season 8, 9, 2, 6, and 3 in that order. Unfortunately I was in the middle of season 4 when it was removed from Netflix so I just have to hope they get to that season eventually.

Amazon Video App on Apple TV 4

Hulu's one big advantage over Netflix is on the chopping block

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)