Netflix on DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I watch my Netflix instant queue on my HD DVR.

First off, you need a home network with your HR2X and computer connected to it. In my opinion, it is best if you use cat5e cable rather then wireless. My computer is wireless and my HR2X is connected via cat5e.

Secondly, you need a program called PlayOn from MediaMall ( http://www.themediamall.com/playon ) on your computer. You get a 14 day free trial and then it is only $30 for a lifetime license. PlayOn acts as a media server allowing you to watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, CBS, and ESPN through your HR2X, PS3, or Xbox360.

This works great! I love it and subscribe to the $10 1 at a time Bluray package from Netflix which gives me unlimited online watching. Give it a shot, you have nothing to loose. The only downside is that you have to keep the computer on while watching movies and that you have to add/remove movies from your Netflix queue on a computer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on PlayOn as that sounds great. I was going to buy a PS3 for blu-ray anyway which makes it even doubly great along with the choice of using it with one of my HR20's.

Thanks for the info on PlayOn as that sounds great. I was going to buy a PS3 for blu-ray anyway which makes it even doubly great along with the choice of using it with one of my HR20's.

Glad I could help. I like it because, I have a couple HR2X's so I can access my Netflix on any of them.

I have been reading some random posts about the Netflix HD capabilities and the Silverlight player...is this fixed, or is there still no HD streamed from Netflix? I was thinking of getting a Roku player, but that is not HD capable yet, so I have been holdig out for an HD version. But if this thing can function for media streaming AND HD/BluRay from Netflix NOW, then that seals the deal.

ATP1313, I think HD streaming is limited to Xbox360 only right now. I can't even watch in HD on my computer yet from Netflix. Soon though we should.

Try the PlayOn site again. The beta is the one you want. For some reason everything is "beta" with them. No final version yet I guess. Anyways... try the download link again. It took me a few tries.

No it wouldn't... I haven't seen a new release yet that is available to stream via netflix. Lots of old movies.

Not only that, the video quality is very poor, not even close to progressive 480p DVDs.

If one does not mind poor resolution, and like to watch old movies, give it a try. But if you are thinking of Bluray, this is no substitute, not even a substitute for the regular 480p DVDs.

Not only that, the video quality is very poor, not even close to progressive 480p DVDs.

If one does not mind poor resolution, and like to watch old movies, give it a try. But if you are thinking of Bluray, this is no substitute, not even a substitute for the regular 480p DVDs.

The hd quality isnt too bad, its just that there is no selection, especially when it comes HD movies they offer.

Looks great on my 19 Widescreen LG LCD for the PC. I might look a that suggestion to Stream via the Network to see how it goes. MY next option is using my Dell Laptop that has a HDMI out. I tested out the HD Video downloaded for free from Itunes. It looks just like a HD on D*. I have thought about Roku but the now have a Vizio 37" I want HD.

Also Picture is effected by internet speed on netflix.

No it wouldn't... I haven't seen a new release yet that is available to stream via netflix. Lots of old movies.

Maybe not now, but it could in the near future. One day I could see this as being possible if most houses have a networked receiver. It depends on what kind of deal could get worked out that would make D* money. I don't know how many receivers are networked right now, but I'd be willing to bet that the percentage is not to the point that this would make sense for D* and could be profitable for either company.

I think the Netflix streaming looks fine on my TV's. It looks better on my 32" Samsung LCD then my 50" Samsung DLP but, that's expected. I would almost rate it as DVD quality. No where close to Bluray though. Wait until we can stream Netflix HD quality, that is going to be nice. Like I said earlier, give it a shot. What you do have to loose? If you like it keep it, if not dump it and don't use it.

Just got it installed on my PC and recognized by the HR20-700. The navigation is easy (though slow at times) and the load/buffer seems to be suitable. Faster than VOD, but that's a cheap shot at D* ;)

I tried a movie from Netflix, but it wouldn't load. This probably has more to do with the Silverlight conflict...maybe fixable in the future. But the Hulu selections are quite good and the load time is acceptable. The PQ for "30 Rock" was more than DVD quality, but not quite to full HD. I also watched an episode of "American Dad!", and the PQ was better than the SD signal I get from D*. The only problem was a signal drop/hiccup about 7 minutes in.

Overall, I would say that this media server has great promise, and I look forward to the day that we can get true HD through PlayOn. Setup was easy...integration with the DVR was seemless...all things being equal, this tool is up there in terms of ease of use and acceptable quality of product delivered. :up

And FWIW, this was on my 50" Plasma and my PC is Core2Duo 3GHz, 4GB RAM, and the software tested my WiFi at 5.8MBps (DVR is wired, of course).

Last edited:
Just got it installed on my PC and recognized by the HR20-700. The navigation is easy (though slow at times) and the load/buffer seems to be suitable. Faster than VOD, but that's a cheap shot at D* ;)

I tried a movie from Netflix, but it wouldn't load. This probably has more to do with the Silverlight conflict...maybe fixable in the future. But the Hulu selections are quite good and the load time is acceptable. The PQ for "30 Rock" was more than DVD quality, but not quite to full HD. I also watched an episode of "American Dad!", and the PQ was better than the SD signal I get from D*. The only problem was a signal drop/hiccup about 7 minutes in.

Overall, I would say that this media server has great promise, and I look forward to the day that we can get true HD through PlayOn. Setup was easy...integration with the DVR was seemless...all things being equal, this tool is up there in terms of ease of use and acceptable quality of product delivered. :up

And FWIW, this was on my 50" Plasma and my PC is Core2Duo 3GHz, 4GB RAM, and the software tested my WiFi at 5.8MBps (DVR is wired, of course).

Glad to hear things worked out for ya. I did notice a lag of about 10-15 seconds or so with streaming Netflix and a few "hicups" too but nothing that I can't deal with.

I for one will pay the $30 after my trial is up in a few days.

I for one will pay the $30 after my trial is up in a few days.

When I showed this to my wife this morning, and then told her it was a one-time/lifetime license of $30, she was floored. She immediately logged into NetFlix and updated our queue of movies, looking specifically for items that had the "Watch Now" option.

She never so easily allows me to buy into new software. So this apparently has passed the WAF test. :D

The hd quality isnt too bad, its just that there is no selection, especially when it comes HD movies they offer.

But the subject of the thread is Netflix streaming on DirecTV DVRs. I don't think HD streamng is available under this arrangement yet.

But if HD streaming is available now, I will certainly give it a close look.

The PQ from the several movies I checked out was definitely not up to 480p DVD, and my setup is at 10mbps hard wired too. For those that saw their PQ better than DVD, what was the PQ scale on Netflix website? Mine had three bars, supposely the highest Netflix had to offer.

Maybe the picture quality depends on the movie itself? My Netflix shows 3 bars at high quality for streaming.

My laptop which runs the PlayOn server is connected to my home network via 802.11g.

My HR2X's are connected to my home network via 10/100/1000 switch to my Uverse RG. My Uverse Internet download speed is right around 10mbps.

Hope this helps.

The PQ from the several movies I checked out was definitely not up to 480p DVD, and my setup is at 10mbps hard wired too. For those that saw their PQ better than DVD, what was the PQ scale on Netflix website? Mine had three bars, supposely the highest Netflix had to offer.

The Netflix wouldn't work on the TV, but does work on the computer (Silverlight compatibility issues???). Watched "War, Inc" on my laptop yesterday and it looked as good as I could expect. Had full bars and that was on the wireless signal. Running a Netgear RangeMAX N router - wireless to laptop and PC, but hardwired to HR20-700. Download speeds with Comcast running anywhere from 5-16MBps.

When I ran the test on the PC when installing PlayOn, it came back as green/full bars (5.8MBps) on the PC.

The PQ for the CNN clips was soft 480i stretched. The Hulu feed for "Heroes" was at least as good or better than DVD, but not quite HD. Think it helped that the feed was 16:9 instead of stretch-o-vision.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)