Netflix Prob Again

Jamey K

Recovering Voomer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2005
West Texas
I hadn't had a problem with my A2 until this weekend. Rented Blades Of Glory, and it locked up at the end. Took the disk out and it looked like someone microwaved it.

Put in Shooter tonight and the same thing....massive lock-up and error message. I looked at the disk before I put it in...even cleaned off before play.

I've never had a problem with my own disks. It starting to get frustrating to battle with the disks, trying to watch a movie.

The Blades of Glory disk was so damaged...it had to be intentional. My son thinks Blockbuster or BR fanboys are up to no good.

I do wish Nexflix would practice better quality control. This Blades Of Glory disk has no business going out again.

I am often frustrated with NetFlix disks too. Wiping them off with a damp cloth usually helps though.

Just got One Six Right from Netflix, and it locked up on me on the last chapter!!! Ugh! Very scratched disc. I wonder how they get this bad?

You can report the disc as damaged, but it doesn't really help you when you are at the end of the movie. Other people need to be more proactive in reporting scratched discs so they don't go out again.
I just got my A2 about 2 weeks ago and recieved a few HD DVDs from Netflix since then. I couldn't belive how scratched they were considering how new they were. I was able to play with no problems though, thankfully.

Yeah, almost all are very scratched (even the newer ones), but most of them play. I always run them thru the cleaning machine I have, tho.

Just got One Six Right from Netflix, and it locked up on me on the last chapter!!! Ugh! Very scratched disc. I wonder how they get this bad?

You would think that we "early adopters" of any HD movie format would be taking better care of the disks while we have them.

I was seriously shocked over the damage on "Blades." I'm surprised it played at all, and I can't imagine that kind of damage was done in a player or in the mail.

I did report it as damaged. It needs to go in the trash rather than out again.

... I always run them thru the cleaning machine I have, tho.

Heres an odd story for you....

I have an electric cleaining machine for dvds and cds, you know like a skip dr. but another brand... anyways....i had a disk that skipped (Breech) and i tried to clean it with that, and after i did the A1 wouldnt read it at all, neither would my Xbox HD DVD add-on. Good thing it was a dual disk from netflix cuase i could see the end and just send it back!

Any thoughts on why it did this?

Never had an issue with BD or HDDVD, but that protective coating would sure help on the HD side of things.
Actually, the protective coating makes the BR less flexable, and more prone to cracking. I've had several BR movies cracked.

http://marsbox.com/blog/news/cracked-netflix-blu-ray-disc-problem/

That's not to say HD or DVD is any better, but each has its own issues when being mailed unprotected.

I drop my Netflix movies off at work, and I notice the mailman talking to the receptionist, and playing with the Netflix movies (kind of tapping it on its side against the receptionist desk). Probably doesn't even realize he's doing it, but it can't be good for that disc, regardless of format!

-John

I haven't gotten a spotty HDDVD disc from Netflix yet that a quick cleaning didn't cure. It's only been a short while, and a handful of discs, though.

In the many years since I've been a member (it's been 7 or 8 years) I've only gotten one completely cracked disc, and one that was unplayable from scratches, both SD DVD.

Overall, a great service.

I love Netflix.

I didn't have trouble playing their disks until my A1 and not at all on my A2 until last weekend.

Maybe a little investigating when they get a damaged disk report, and find out if there is someone who keeps showing up on the rental list. Publish their name and directions to their house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts