Netflix type PPV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davedirectv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 24, 2009
In the Van.
Why doesn't sat/cable companies do things like what Netflix is doing? Say you pay another $10-20 a month and get a certain number of PPV movies to watch and download.

Is this bad business? Are there certain contracts in place to stop something like this? Why would a company like Directv do something like this?

I don't think Titanium has been available for a while.

I think that more Netflix-like services will come if it is shown to bring in the $$$ more than what they are offering now.

I don't think Titanium has been available for a while.

I think that more Netflix-like services will come if it is shown to bring in the $$$ more than what they are offering now.

Also many of your TV sets are coming out with the ability to connect to the internet, that would help a NetFlix type service even more.

I guess, why can't I pay Directv $15 extra a month and get 5 PPVs or something. I have On Demand already, so that close to what Netflix does, not as many movies, just much quicker.

I guess, why can't I pay Directv $15 extra a month and get 5 PPVs or something. I have On Demand already, so that close to what Netflix does, not as many movies, just much quicker.

D*'s are what $ 4 per ....., give them $ 20 more a month and you can.

Curious, I don't use NetFlix, are they in HD / Blu ray quality ?

I usually rent the newest release through Directv, in the 1080p, and they are $6 each.

Pretty steep if you ask me, but I still watch 2-3 a month, sometimes more.

Not sure about Netflix, I'm just trying to see if it's worth my money just to sign up for it.

i got NetFlix via my PS3, they dont offer newer movies by internet streaming , you might get a newer movie when Starz starts showing that movie and the HD section suck, and none of the Starz movies are in HD!

I usually rent the newest release through Directv, in the 1080p, and they are $6 each.

Not sure about Netflix, I'm just trying to see if it's worth my money just to sign up for it.

I would imagine those prices would drop once they become the norm or at least the selection is much better.

We use the instant streaming more than the DVD's... 2 Roku's, 1 Xbox360, 1 Wii, and 2 Blu-Ray players scattered around the house for Netflix.

One of my Roku's is hooked up to my Slingbox so I can watch Netflix on my phone. Love it.

Signed up for it when I got the iPad. Have since bought a new bluray player that streams it and setup the xbox. Never watched Arrested Develpment but it looks awesome on the plasma so they must be streaming some HD. Great deal for 9 bucks a month and can't figure out why Direct doesn't just add the service.

Because their customers keep paying the $5-6 to watch a PPV, thats why.

Which still confuses me, since I regularly buy good movies on blu-ray for $9, and get them rental-wise from netflix and redbox for about a dollar per movie.

Some movies and TV shows on Netflix are in HD, 720P but there isn't any new movies. I do like the Netflix streaming when you want to watch a older movie or show that you haven't seen in a while.

I've been a Netflix subscriber for a little over a year now, only getting movies by mail. I'm seriously considering getting a roku HD box and was wondering what the quality is like on a 52" tv....

It depends. About 80% of what I watch on a 47" and 60" set looks like high quality VHS. The stuff marked "HD" looks like it almost might be dvd quality. Some movies look better than others, so they must be compressing with different rates or maybe the longer movies suffer more. Its watchable and the instant-ness is nice. Our biggest user is my 5 year old, although almost everything available is second or third tier material, sequels (but not the original) and odd stuff from other countries. He likes a lot of it though and can use the roku remote to select and play his own, its so simple he mastered it at 3.5.

You're going to need to get at least 3.5Mb/s consistent download speed to keep the pipe full for the HD content. Word has it that they're going to offer some higher quality stuff but you'll need 5-6Mb/s real throughput to use it.

Other thing is the selection. Its fair to terrible. They do offer a fair number of decent older movies but they're often offered only for a short time.

Good news is the cost of entry is pretty low since any playstation 3, xbox or wii will do the netflix on demand, many dvd/blu-ray players can do it, and the roku boxes arent that expensive.

It depends. About 80% of what I watch on a 47" and 60" set looks like high quality VHS. The stuff marked "HD" looks like it almost might be dvd quality. Some movies look better than others, so they must be compressing with different rates or maybe the longer movies suffer more. Its watchable and the instant-ness is nice. Our biggest user is my 5 year old, although almost everything available is second or third tier material, sequels (but not the original) and odd stuff from other countries. He likes a lot of it though and can use the roku remote to select and play his own, its so simple he mastered it at 3.5.

You're going to need to get at least 3.5Mb/s consistent download speed to keep the pipe full for the HD content. Word has it that they're going to offer some higher quality stuff but you'll need 5-6Mb/s real throughput to use it.

Other thing is the selection. Its fair to terrible. They do offer a fair number of decent older movies but they're often offered only for a short time.

Good news is the cost of entry is pretty low since any playstation 3, xbox or wii will do the netflix on demand, many dvd/blu-ray players can do it, and the roku boxes arent that expensive.
I agree, the selection is terrible. New releases cannot be streamed. Yet, Blockbuster offers any new release for instant access. Of course the drawback with Blockbuster is that you pay for each movie rather than an unlimited subscription. Pick your poison.

$3 will get the new releases from Blockbuster for instant viewing. But, don't know if thats for blu-ray. Blu-rays are $4 for hard copies. $6 is way too much IMO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.