networking 722

tjd0107

Original poster
May 31, 2009
IN
Hi all newbie here and I have searched everywhere for answer to my ?. have 722 and trying to hook up to network. May not be the best at networking but have 2 laptops and a second computer on. Problem seems to be can't get ip address to receiver. tried reset connection more then once, reset 722, reset 2wire gateway. swapped cables. Have lights on gateway and receiver. Talked to dish network and att. have elite dsl. One problem is not sure how to setup dchp on windows vista home premium. thanks in advance for any help:D

Do I understand you've cabled up your receiver to the 2wire gateway, and the link lights for that port came on? If so, I imagine this is just a DHCP problem. (Wireless adds a whole boatload of new complications.)

The only thing on your network that should be offering IP addresses to DHCP clients is that gateway. Turn it off elsewhere.

vista home premium is your problem. Vista presents a nightmare of networking problems. You usually have to jump through a bunch of hoops, reboot, jump through hoops and reboot again to get it to work, maybe.

A short cut might be to enter your gateway (router) address in a browser address space and see if you have dhcp enabled. Also check MAC filters. If enabled, entered 722 MAC address. After checking, unplug 722, reboot router, wait 30 seconds and plug 722 back in.

To get around improperly configured computers, I'd recommend shutting down the computers temporarily until you've established a connection.

Make sure you have enough addresses available. Routers can usually be programmed to only offer up a small number of addresses and you may be running afoul of this artificial limitation.

vista home premium is your problem. Vista presents a nightmare of networking problems. You usually have to jump through a bunch of hoops, reboot, jump through hoops and reboot again to get it to work, maybe.

A short cut might be to enter your gateway (router) address in a browser address space and see if you have dhcp enabled. Also check MAC filters. If enabled, entered 722 MAC address. After checking, unplug 722, reboot router, wait 30 seconds and plug 722 back in.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Vista as the problem. Vista has absolutely nothing to do with a 722 getting an IP Address from a router.

Go in your router, make sure your DHCP Pool (amount of addresses available for DHCP) is large enough to support the number of devices you are attempting to put on your network. If not, change that setting, reboot the router, reboot 722. I would do this with all other network devices powered down. Also, this may sound silly, but make sure you don't mistakenly have a crossover cable connecting the 722 to the router.

Everybody blames Vista... Vista is a solid OS, if you learn it. ****End Rant****

Everybody blames Vista... Vista is a solid OS, if you learn it.
At this point in personal computer development, why should ANYONE need to learn to use an OS? If a process isn't relatively obvious and straightforward, the publisher has failed miserably. Backwards compatibility has only added to the myriad ways of doing the same old thing.

Any operating system that sports a DHCP daemon can cause a problem. Given the prevalence of routers in homes, DHCP should require very deliberate effort to enable and it should never be enabled on by default.

I also fault the router manufacturers for including confusing CD-based "wizards" to "assist" the user in setting up the router. Computer-based setup programs too often have to do battle with various and sundry firewall applications that can disrupt or even disable the process. If the web-based configuration that we all end up using is too confusing, they've failed and need to concentrate their efforts on a uniform browser-based interface that anyone, regardless of platform, can use.

At this point in personal computer development, why should ANYONE need to learn to use an OS?
Because the OS has transitioned to something more. A modern OS includes many functions that used to be separate programs that people *learned* how to use. I simply can't buy the fact that things shouldn't change. In all honesty, it is no different than learning to operate a PDA or nav through a new satellite interface. Progress in technology requires people to *learn*.

You *learn* how to use an OS, so you can be faster and more productive. Believe it or not, you had to *learn* how XP did some things if you transitioned from Windows 95 or 98 or 98SE or 2K. People seem to forget this. You will have to *learn* in windows 7 too.

And, I can tell you with 100% certainty as an IT director/computer hobbyist for 20 years that the Vista PC is not what is keeping his 722 from working properly. The only way that would be possible is if he is using the vista box to share the connection and perform routing functions.

And, I can tell you with 100% certainty as an IT director/computer hobbyist for 20 years that the Vista PC is not what is keeping his 722 from working properly.
I've been at it so long that my title was Data Processing Manager when I started my current job. ;)
The only way that would be possible is if he is using the vista box to share the connection and perform routing functions.
It would be possible for Vista to interfere if it had the DHCP daemon service running and was intercepting DHCP requests from the receiver. It isn't likely that this is the case, but with the dozens of "This creates a condition that allows the attacker to execute arbitrary code" bugs in Windows, you can never really be sure.

I can tell you with 100% certainty as an IT director/computer hobbyist for 20 years that the Vista PC is not what is keeping his 722 from working properly. The only way that would be possible is if he is using the vista box to share the connection and perform routing functions.
Well, there you go. With a rather high probability that ICS is indeed turned on somewhere, you've probably put your finger on the problem, while simultaneously putting a foot in your mouth. :D You obviously ignored the OP who said
One problem is not sure how to setup dchp on windows vista home premium.
If that isn't a rather large red flag, I don't know what is.

• Windows 7 best feature: windows explorer
  • Windows 7 worst feature: Home Group networking. Makes the rest of your home network disappear without a trace.

Well, there you go. With a rather high probability that ICS is indeed turned on somewhere, you've probably put your finger on the problem, while simultaneously putting a foot in your mouth. :D You obviously ignored the OP who said
If that isn't a rather large red flag, I don't know what is.

• Windows 7 best feature: windows explorer
  • Windows 7 worst feature: Home Group networking. Makes the rest of your home network disappear without a trace.

Well I guess I did. Thanks for pointing out that I missed that little bit of important info. With that being said, all I was seeing was the 2wire gateway. To the OP, is the gateway in gateway mode or router mode? ATT sometimes programs the 2wire to distribute a limited number of dhcp addresses based on your plan.

If you are using Vista as the DHCP server, please post the specifics of how your other computers connect to it (switch/hub), etc... and I am sure I can help you.

I can tell you that in any case, you would be better off buying a cheap router to connect to the 2wire and let it handle all of your networking needs.

Eithernet to network

I know that this has been asked and answered 50 times here but I can't find the drill down. I have done Ethernet networking for 20 years. DHCP dose not bother me. But can anyone answer this simple question?

I want to pull recorded content (movies shows whatever) off my 722, xferr them to a computer and then burn the content. We don't do pay per view, we have every channel available (rual area of the Oregon Coast). I have no use for any "value added feature" from Dish. The techs I have talked to have only said you could download to a portable USB drive and then load them back on the 722 Box. That is a dead go for me. Thanks for your time

Best reguards

I want to pull recorded content (movies shows whatever) off my 722, xferr them to a computer and then burn the content.

1. This is off-topic.
  2. You and everybody else wants to do that!
  3. Copyright owners want us to pay for their content every single time we view it, and for every different way that we view it. (You own the VHS tape? Buy the DVD. You own the DVD? Buy a Bluray. You paid for a PPV program? You get to pay again to view again.) This may be consumer-hostile, but the copyright holders don't care.
  4. They got the DMCA passed with some rather odious provisions. Fortunately there is one loophole that allows single-copies to be moved. This is what Dish is relying on, to avoid lawsuits.
  5. Copying files off disk and onto DVD gets around this single-copy provision, so Dish is never going to tell you how to do that. (Though somebody else can, wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean?)

Sorry

See, once again I am in the wrong place at the wrong time.... I have read ....elsewhere the wink, wink....info, but I was hoping since Dish has provided the eithernet port and It "accessed" the hard drive that it was a simple thing....Sorry to bother and thanks for the "info". I could rant about what this all (computers mobile crap ect.) was supposed to allow us all to 'connect" but it is all about money ....sigh I am glad I retired at 38 and moved to the coast.....It would wear me out if I was still on the wheel...

Thank for your time

65* sunny, light breeze off the Pacific Ocean!!

I was hoping since Dish has provided the eithernet port and It "accessed" the hard drive that it was a simple thing...
The only thing the Ethernet port is currently used for is "phoning home" to Dish and Dish Online. (1) Of course if you download a program from Dish Online, the (no doubt encrypted) program is going from Dish servers to your local 722 disk. But movement in the other direction is confined to moving (not copying) the program to an external USB disk or PocketDish or Archos gen 5 player.

Note 1: No, I forgot. The Ethernet port is also now used for DISH Remote Access Login, which is a way to program your DVR from a web browser, and to a limited degree change channels, or start watching the output of your Slingbox. Dish has shown prototypes of central disk servers, all accessible from Dish VIP boxes. And DirectTV have in beta what they call "multi room viewing", which allows STB to STB communications, i.e. viewing programs recorded on any DVR to any other DVR. That too is possible, though not yet enabled, for Dish customers.

Let's pursue the Sling option for a moment. All external Slingboxen are analog conversion devices; they take at best component video, digitize, and stream over the network. This will work at the expense of quality, assuming the Sling players will allow recording. With the Slingbox Pro HD, you can get 1280X720p which isn't bad at all.

If all you want is a DVD, then even an SD Slingbox should workfor you. That's assuming it allows recording of the local stream. The only downside is it's no faster than real-time. I own a Slingbox competitor made by Monsoon Multimedia, called a Hava Platinum. It does a real nice job of making a DVD-quality capture/conversion from analog, and it definitely allows recording and burning of the local stream from one application. Maybe something like that would work for you?

I was just reading about Slingbox capabilities. It seems that recording the Slingbox local stream is no longer part of the player, but got split out into an extra cost product that records to ASF. As a 3rd step, you would have to convert that to mpeg-2 for burning to DVD. What an expensive mess!

My advice; buy a Hava. Some of these have been going on Sellout Woot for $60. The Hava PC Player does it all.

It seems that recording the Slingbox local stream is no longer part of the player, but got split out into an extra cost product that records to ASF.
Recording was never a feature of the SlingPlayer software. The latest version provides a relatively large buffer (1GB) but no recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)