New 3.63 Software (622) and lower Signal Levels

psumattDE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Wilmington, DE
Is anyone else seeing this?

I've always had issues with TP's 20 and 22 off of 61.5 (HGHD, FOOD HD, ESPN2HD) where my signal levels for these two were always around 70 and 75 respectively.

Well, today my 622 DVR got new software - and now these two TP's are showing 59 and 63!! I was like, wtf? So, I went upstairs and checked the levels on my 211 receiver - and they were still 70 and 75.

Would a new firmware cause a change in the way a receiver deciphers signal levels?? I'm just worried that at that low of a signal (at least what it shows) it could go out any second.

My signal levels on the weak transponders of 129 were like 63 on a clear day like today and right now without a clouc in the the sky they are all at 53. So I got a drop of 10 after 3.63.

Fix for lower signal levels!

Disconnect the satellite feed from the receiver, including the seperator. Run the check switch without the feed to clear the matrix. Reconnect the feed after the check is done and run check switch again. VOILA...the signals are the way they should be. It worked on mine!

Ralfy-
I tried your tip. Disconnected, cleared the matrix (it took forever - 38 tests!!)

Interestingly, TP22 went from 63 up to 77 (higher than it was before)

But, TP20 stayed stuck at 60 - still 10 points lower than what it was.

Should I try it again? I really don't want to have a 60 signal off this TP - since i do watch FOOD HD alot.

ralfyguy said:
Disconnect the satellite feed from the receiver, including the seperator. Run the check switch without the feed to clear the matrix. Reconnect the feed after the check is done and run check switch again. VOILA...the signals are the way they should be. It worked on mine!

Tried it but didn't see a change. Odd thing is if i watch the signal on one of the weaker TP's it will occasionally bounce up to where it used to be. There has to be something else going on, why is it only the 129? Maybe they are finally getting around to the changes they talked about on the tech chat?

psumattDE said:
Ralfy-
I tried your tip. Disconnected, cleared the matrix (it took forever - 38 tests!!)

Interestingly, TP22 went from 63 up to 77 (higher than it was before)

But, TP20 stayed stuck at 60 - still 10 points lower than what it was.

Should I try it again? I really don't want to have a 60 signal off this TP - since i do watch FOOD HD alot.
Well you know what? After that I rebooted the machine, it seems to get stuck on different occasions now, and the only way to get out of it is reboot. Well after the reboot, the signals were low again on the particular TP's. So far the new software screwed a whole lot of things up, but fixed my HDMI output. The lockups create more and watchdogs in my counters now. I am getting worried about this machine is gonna die soon.:mad:

If the signal really is as low as the numbers indicate then I would not expect to get all the way thru a movie recording on Kung Fu or Monsters. But I haven't seen the numbers dip every 15-30 min like they have been all along. Has anyone else noticed this since 3.63?

its clear here and checked. CBS is 58 but others are 80's or more. But, it has not cut out on me and i only checked the signal reading these reports......but it works

oh, trans 20 was 63 just now. no idea what it was the last few months. i only get drop when its thundertorms coming or hitting and 110/119 usually go out when this happens.

The only thing i'm wondering is - did the signal level really "drop"? Or is this just a bug with the display?

TP20 for me last night was hovering around 59 - and I didn't have any drops - so maybe it's still really "receiving" it at its aforementioned 70 level.

Who knows. Looks like this software update (from reading here) was a big F-up.

I was on starband for years and updates to firmware would do this same thing on it's sig quality 'meter'
Their answer was it was used just for reference and .......blah
I just never paid attention to DISH and it's signal
I would assume the same could apply with their readings. I just dunno!

I still haven't seen picture breakup off 129 since the update or observed the numbers take the 20 min interval dip since seeing the odd transponder readings. Did dish do something to make 129 work better? I can live with a reading at 60 as long as it is a constant 60.

FYI tp 20 on 61.5 is 76 right now where it was at or just below 60 last night but 17 is 58 to 60
ughhhhhhh, ignore it as long as it works?

I usually don't lose my signal when we get light drizzle, which did happen on 129 yesterday while trying to watch the HD channels on that bird. Tried everything but could not get the signal strength up from its 32. So, it seems much more sensitive to rain fade and when the rain stopped, it read 47, so still waaaaayy low from previous. I do have the 363 update. They have scheduled a tech to come out Monday and check my Dish alignment.

I will try the check switch with coax disconnected from dish to clear the matrix, but that is a real pain and should not have to do that after every software update!!!!!

I was looking at a 60 signal on tp1 and it suddenly bounced to 76. This wasn't the wobble effect, that takes a few minutes either going up or down. This was more like suddenly the system cleared an error. After scanning it was down at 60 again. I've repeated this a few times. It only seems to happen on transponder 1. Something in this software is masking the actual signal attenuation. I don't think it reflects the actual signal strength.

I'm too having low signal on my 622 after 3.63 upgrade. I'm in Puerto Rico and here 61.5 is weak... before the 622 upgrade I was in the upper 50-70.. today I'm in the 30-50 in a very sunny day without any clouds.

Actually on my 811 I'm having 50-70 as well and I can see the voom channels although the image get frozen from time to time.. I'm using a 5 footer and looking for a 6 footer to fix that frozen thing but my 622 is unwatchable....... only 2-3 HD Channels are good... the rest are not working at all.. below the signal I was having before the upgrade and the ones I'm having now..and also the 811 as well.. Any ideas?

622 before the upgrade on 61.5:

tp 1 - 49
tp 2 - 72
tp 3 - 46
tp 5 - 47
tp 7 - 42
tp 9 - 50
tp 13 - 40
tp 17 - 41
tp 19 - 43
tp 20 - 59
tp 22 - 63

622 after 3.63 on 61.5

tp 1 - 43
tp 2 - 62
tp 3 - 30
tp 5 - 43
tp 7 - 32
tp 9 - 44
tp 13 - 30
tp 17 - 31
tp 19 - 30
tp 20 - 50
tp 22 - 50

811 signal as of today on 61.5

tp 1 - 54
tp 2 - 69
tp 3 - 49
tp 5 - 52
tp 7 - 50
tp 9 - 54
tp 13 - 47
tp 17 - 48
tp 19 - 48
tp 20 - 58
tp 22 - 62

I already did a chech switch on the 622.. as well as power down/up but no luck. Will this get better?

Thanks in advanced,
mylo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)