new 522 dvr customer

shaun-ohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
ohio
had the superdish installed, went with the lease plan for dishnetwork with no committment, man that dish is huge, why could they not mount it on my house instead of in my yard? i just hope now my landlord doesnt come along and spot it and say hey that thing has to go? because its not mounted on the house? also i have had no problems with it yet, love the dual tuner, where the installer set it up to my second tv and you dont need an additional receiver to watch something different and record from either tuner, directv or voom needs to come up with the idea now, the only thing i noticed is it reminds me so much of the old 501 i used to have when they first came out with the single tuner model, also why does it record beyond the stop timed recording by about 5 mins? for each recording? other then that huge thing sitting in my yard and the 5 min overlap on the recorded programs, knock on wood i have had no problems yet.

shaun-ohio said:
why could they not mount it on my house instead of in my yard?

IMO it's better if it's in the yard. Makes it easier to clear the dish off when it snows.

The 522(and 921) defaults to 1 minute before and 3 minutes after your scheduled time so that you don't miss anything. When you set up the timer, you can adjust the starting/ending overlap to 0 and 0 if you want to. This will save you a few minutes.

I was told by my installer that because of the size and weight of the superdish DN gave installers explicit instructions NOT to attach them directly to a house in any fashion. I guess some people have claimed problems of guttering falling off or roofs leaking because of this dish's excess weight.

RedHat39 said:
I was told by my installer that because of the size and weight of the superdish DN gave installers explicit instructions NOT to attach them directly to a house in any fashion. I guess some people have claimed problems of guttering falling off or roofs leaking because of this dish's excess weight.
Only reason I can think of for that is that there were just too many bad installers out there.

My DirecWay (same size & weight as SuperDish) with side support arms is attached to the side of the house specifically to keep it extra stable.

There are a number of people in my neighborhood with SuperDishes on their 2nd-story roofs (25-30' up). They do use (2) outriggers that come with the dish. A co-worker had his installed on his attached garage roof after "insisting" that's where he wanted it. The installer's first choice for location obviously wasn't on a roof.... He did mention it can't go over any living areas, per Dish policy (according to him).

Mine is mounted to a 6x6 that is supporting my deck. The guys that installed mine said they didn't do roofs per dish, but there are alot in my area that are. There are also alot of contractors installing them too. It probably depends on the person installing it.

Without trying to insult any good installers I think that it is much easier to put it in the yard rather than on the roof. Just my opinion.

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)