New 722 firmware Screwed my EHD. Anyone else?

Riker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I just went to go and bank some movies to my external hard drive and it is telling me it needs to be formatted. My units have not moved since it was installed and was working before the latest update. The drive is fine. Dish SUCKS major ass. They wont let you backup to pc and they wont give me the files to restore the drive. The files appear to be there via a linux file viewer, but no way of accessing them. Doesn't Direct let you bank your videos to a pc? Doesn't TIVO, why not Dish. I've lost all my movies and shows I had yet to watch. I might ditch dish.

Unplug the receiver for 30 seconds, then let it reboot. See what happens. If not, call tech support.

Unplug the receiver for 30 seconds, then let it reboot. See what happens. If not, call tech support.

Did that. Tech support was 100% useless. Trying to copy files to pc, then format the drive with 722 then restore files back and hope I can recover some of the movies/tv shows. Not very hopeful though.
THanks

Riker, looking at the history of your posts, it appears you have been having hard drive issues for some time:

2008: Corrupt Ext hard Drive
2009: Dish Blows, both 722's recordings erased!!

So, I suspect the problem is not caused just by the new firmware. I would look at some other possible factors: the types of hard drives you use, the stability of the power source, the way you (or your kids) handle the drive, etc.

First time was due to a bad unit that was installed and a week later had to be replaced. Second time was again due to a firmware update. Was working great until the firmware update that happened on the 23rd of April when they added ad banners, etc. What makes me so mad is that advance tech support says they've never had a problem with external drives and from the forums here, other people have had issues also.
Thanks

Did that. Tech support was 100% useless. Trying to copy files to pc, then format the drive with 722 then restore files back and hope I can recover some of the movies/tv shows. Not very hopeful though.
THanks

Are you doing this on a Linux pc ? The priveledges can get tricky. the files need to be owned by admin. This may not work with a windows PC and a mounted linux filesystem.

Did you try running e2fsck before copying the files ?

Note that each program is stored in a folder (4 files). I've seen a corrupt folder render the whole drive unreadable (I'd start by just copying a couple of folders).

Also, instead of copying to a pc, my preference is to get a 2nd 722 hdd, then with an Ubuntu pc copy the folders directly from one drive to the other.

Re-hit

What David_Levin said plus when you called advanced tech you should ask for a re-hit for the ext HDD. I've lost a HDD in the past before I knew about getting a hit for the DVR. Sometimes when an update happens the unit just needs to be hit(reminded that the ext HDD is OK).

There are instruction on here on how to recover the shows on the disk...

A. Create a bootable uBuntu disk
B. Copy the files over
C. Have the DVR reformat the drive
D. Copy the files back.

I've done it...it works....and yes Dish Tech Supp was no help with this but SatelliteGuys.US was!

This instruction below were take from the other string

How to transfer recordings from EHD to whatever

When you connect the external HD to Ubuntu, it will display two partitions.
§ The first one is a 1.0 GB partition and has one folder "Lost+Found". The second partition is where all your recordings are and the size depends on the size of your EHD.

§ The second partition has two folders, "Lost+Found" and "DishArc".

§ Your recordings are in the "DishArc" folder, under some folder name like "20b0dec0".

§ Each of these folders have 4 files, "bm", "cat", "tsp", and "wtt

Copying files from EHD to Desktop

Connect the EHD to Ubuntu and copy the folders from "DishArc" to a directory in Ubuntu.

Reformatting EHD

Connect the EHD to the 622 receiver and let it format and create the new partitions.

Copying files BACK to the EHD after formatting

Reconnect the EHD to Ubuntu
Open a Terminal session by going to Applications, Accessories, Terminal

§ Change to super user by typing "sudo -i"

§ Type "fdisk -l" to list your drives and note your USB drive (In my case, it was listed as "/dev/sdb1")

§ Type "mount /dev/sdb1" to mount the USB drive. It will tell you that it’s already mounted but it will also show the USB EHD directory. (In my case it showed "/media/disk-1" and I'll need that for the next step)

§ Change to that directory by typing "cd /media/disk-1".

· You can do a listing to see if the two folders are there by typing "ls -l". You should see two directories, "DishArc" and "Lost+Found"

Change the permissions on DishArc Folder

· For the folder "DishArc" so your username will have write access to it. Type "chown randalla DishArc". (Of course, you'll use your username.) Leave Terminal open, we'll come back to change the permissions back to root.

· Go back to the Desktop and copy all your recordings from the Desktop to the "DishArc" folder in the EHD

Change the permissions BACK on the DishArc Folder

§ When you are finished copying the recordings, go back to terminal and type "chown root DishArc". This is to put the permission back to root.

If doing this from Bootable CD –

I just did this with the Ubuntu Live CD, I did it on my Windows computer and all I needed to do was boot from the Ubuntu CD. There's a minor change in the procedure when you boot from the Live CD since there are no users but the root user. You computer will also need to see both EHD drive at the same time since you're running from the CD not the Hard Drive and you won't be able to copy the directories to a CD.

Instead of using "chown randalla DishArc" you will need to use "chmod 777 DishArc" to have write access to the folder. Once you're finished moving the directories, change back the permission by typing "chmod 755 DishArc".

What I don't understand is WHY it does this...what is the root cause of this failure and why doesn't Dish Tech Supp support the recovery...as we did PAY for the service after all.
</close rant>

:)

Well, did not do this. I copied the files from my hard drive to my windows pc with Disk internals. It took forever and oh and forever and ever. Reformatted drive on 722 but disk internals can't copy back. So I will try what you guys stated and let you know. Doesn't directtv tivo let you copy to pc via network and they are not encrypted?
thanks to all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)