New 811 help needed....

ktracy

Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
:confused: I have a new 811 I wish to hook up to my HDTV and just receive the local OTA HD channels. I dont want to have any programming from Dish. How can I do this? I dont need Dish to activate it just to watch locals do I? I actually have a dish account with an 811 in the Fam room, but I just want the locals in our bedroom. Thanks for helping the ignorant. : )

You must have the 811 connected and receiving a signal from the dish. It will AT THE CURRENT TIME then work for OTA channels. DISH could change that at any time with a software upgrade.

If all you want is OTA HD, why mess with Dish? Buy a Set Top Box. They have a better picture, no 811 "bugs" and you can get them for around $200-250.

well its too late for that. I bought an 811 for 200.00, and all i want to do is hook it up to my hdtv and watch the locals in HD from my bedroom. I think I may be sick if I cant do that without Dish activating my receiver. I have read so many posts on here, and I thought I knew what I was doing, but now I am fearing that I may have wasted my money...... :(

Again unless dish changes their software all you need to do is hook it to your dish and you can watch OTA woithout activating. Of couse it will have NO guide info for your OTA channels.

Sorry for appearing so stupid, but I am when it comes to some things. The feed from my dish goes down to the fam room. There is no feed from the dish in my bedroom. Are you saying I need to hook it up to the feed down there, power it up, and then take it back upastairs and hook it up to the feed from my antenna, and then it will work? Thank you for your patience.

You will need to run an additional feed from the dish to the room you want to put the 811 into.

811 For Ota Only

ktracy said:
Sorry for appearing so stupid, but I am when it comes to some things. The feed from my dish goes down to the fam room. There is no feed from the dish in my bedroom. Are you saying I need to hook it up to the feed down there, power it up, and then take it back upastairs and hook it up to the feed from my antenna, and then it will work? Thank you for your patience.

There are no stupid questions around here ! We are all learning from each other. You need an additional RG6 coax cable from the dish connected to your second 811 in your bedroom permanently. 811 checks for the satellite on a regular basis. I am assuming that till now you just had one dish 811 receiver. Even then, they should have used a dual LNBF (with two outputs) at the dish. They used one output for the 811 in the family room. You could connect the second output to a second RG6 coax cable and run to your 811 in the bedroom. This is not very difficult. As others said, you do not have to activate the second 811. But Dish Network could change their policy. Ofcourse you need to connect an OTA antenna (preferably outdoor type) to your second 811. Hope I did not oversimplyfy to insult your intelligence.

Thanks a bunch to all who took time to answer my questions! I think I finally get it. I'll go look at what's on the dish when the sun comes out and warms things up a bit. Its cold here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts