New and thoroughly confused

tonyrice

Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
Sorry this is such dumb and obvious questions. Doing a search yields more information than I need and just confuses me even more. You guys are talking about 8QT connections, Y-adapters hooked into your X adapter, Superdish + an 8 gauge gonoiken yields a +15% reception boost over the XY factor times P = signal of 94... etc.. basically thats what all this stuff looks like to me.

I am moving to our new home in about 3 weeks and will be leaving Time Warner cable. I would *like* to have HD programming but the currect price of $700 for the dish and receiver is overwhelming, and it seems odd that there are no promations for new subscribers.

I have been looking at DirecTV and Dish. Here's where I am at currently.

I am looking to buy the Mitsubishi WS48413 rear-projection TV. I hear this is a fine TV so I will probably buy it.

Now, just exactly what is the best way to get HD programming to my house?

I will need two receivers one should be HD and the other will be a standard reciever. I kinda understand Superdish. Is this just basically a new and improved version of the 6000 receiver?

Also, what is this dish going to cost for a new subscriber?

thx

I think they had a promotion introduced last night for a 811 with SuperDish installation for $599. This would be for new customers I think. Heck as a new customer you may even get a better deal.

The model 811 receiver Set Top Box (STB) is a new and improved version of the 6000.

The SuperDish is the actual satellite dish that goes up on your roof. It can see 3 satellites, where the old "Dish 500" satellite dish could only see 2 satellites.

New Subcribers get the best deals. They are more willing to susidize new folks to get them on board. So you should be able to get a good deal.

tonyrice said:
Now, just exactly what is the best way to get HD programming to my house?
The current situation with DishNetwork is somewhat complicated and in transition. If you can wait 3 to 6 months, a lot of the dust will have settled, and you'll probably be able to get a clearer idea of what to do. If you need to make a decision today, the easiest path may be cable. It may also be the cheapest, depending on what's available in your area.

x

OK for now then just getting the basic 301 system is best? Dish1up basically gives you the system with the satellite for free.

Also, I've got another question. I saw the Dish Network Channel chart.... and it shows how different channels are reached on duifferent satellites. Does that mean I have to physically turn my satellite dish each time I wanna watch a channel located on another satellite?

THis is wierd.

I thought the days of moving satellite dishes went out with the 15 foot dishes.

Also, I've got another question. I saw the Dish Network Channel chart.... and it shows how different channels are reached on duifferent satellites. Does that mean I have to physically turn my satellite dish each time I wanna watch a channel located on another satellite?
No, the satellite dish is designed to see multiple adjacent slots from a single position. You don't ever have to physically change it's position.

For example, the Dish500 sees the satellites at 110 and 119 degrees. The new "Superdish" is designed to see both 110 and 119, plus either 105 (HDTV and more locals) or 121 (international channels), depending on the version of the dish. The "Superdish" is about 5" wider to see this third satellite location.

You can buy the 301 system in which comes with a Dish500 and when you are ready for HD programming, there will be a special promotion that you will more than likely be able to get in which is a free SuperDish with free professional installation when you purchase the AT50 package and the $9.99 HD package or local package with a one year commitment if the SuperDish is required for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)