New Appreciation for Dish Service and Hardware

Katie5

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
USA
I'm a former Dish subscriber, now living in an apartment without a southern view so I've been forced to Comcast. I have a newfound appreciation for Dish service and (especially) the hardware. The DVR Comcast gave me looks and acts like it is from 2001. It won't group recordings into folders. It won't output surround sound over HDMI. When there is a DVR conflict for a show marked as 'new', it won't automatically tape a repeat because it's not marked 'new' anymore. The DVR held about 15 hours of shows until I bought an external drive to plug in. I cannot imagine a worse DVR than this one.

I've had billing errors (in Comcast's favor) on both of my first two bills. When trying to get them fixed I rarely find a customer representative who understands English. Before I switched, I had just assumed that the horror stories about Comcast couldn't be all true, but they are.

I just wanted to come back here and show my appreciation for the service Dish gave me while I could be a subscriber. Wish I still could be. And to anyone thinking about switching, DON'T, unless you have no choice.

I got to agree with you. I just recently got comcast also and their customer service is terrible.

Told me it would be a free install if I took a triple play package, first bill comes and there is over $80 in setup and installation charges.

I called to get it adjusted, only to hear the "I'm sorry there is nothing we can do" line read to me over and over"

Finally called in and told them to take the Tv and phone service and shove it since they where refusing to credit me for the promised free installation, and they agreed on a $10 credit for. 6 months.

But I will agree, the DVR is nothing compared to Dish

My best billing dispute already - they tried to charge me for a tech service visit that never happened. When I finally got a representative who understood enough English to figure out the problem, she offered to fix the problem by refunding me half the charge. I actually laughed before I said that wasn't acceptable. We did eventually get it fixed, but in way longer a time than it should have taken to credit a phantom service visit.

Comcast tried to bill me for a STB that I never had....7 years after I left them.

I think that there is no perfect company out there. No matter what the company you will find something you don't like about them.

DISH is no where near perfect... even I (and I have a close relationship with them) say "What the hell are they doing?!" often. The main reason I am still a DISH customer is because of the Hopper. There is nothing else like it and it has changed the way we watch TV.

So when it comes down to it, as messed up as a company can be the ultimate thing is the experience you get when you go to watch the product you are paying for and the Hopper gives the best experience out of any DVR out there that I have ever used.

I'd have to say Dish, Direct or Fios.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have dish and fios and happy with both . The hopper is way better than the fios dvr but they have a new dvr out now that I will have to get .

I've done some interesting installs for those that move to an apt building that can't see Southern/South western sky. I've run cables as hidden as I could to a pole on the south end (if its not too far away) to get service before if allowed or I even went to the roof put a non-pen setup and dropped lines over the side to get service. Most apt buildings won't allow it in plain sight but if on the roof they won't ever see it.

The thing about it is if you don't want to keep going back then make sure to tell that customer to NEVER mention they have dish lol or else it will spread to others and you will have a problem then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts