New Battery for my iphone 11 Pro Max?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
My battery has 85% of when it was new. I bought a spare battery for it awhile back thinking the phone is old now but still works great and does what I need. I bought the maximum storage too so it wasn't cheap. The question is for anyone who has installed a new battery or had Apple do it, when did you decide your battery wasn't up to your needs?

I have all the right tools and have done battery swaps and screen swaps for quite a few before. Family members send me their ipads and iphones. I recall when I did my iphone 6 it was not lasting even a day. This 11 still lasts for 3 days.

I had considered getting the new 15 this year but not sure if I really need what it may offer.

My max Xs is going strong. When its capacity goes below 80%, I’ll put money into Apple’s hands for a new battery. MIGHT consider a 15.

I charge every night, sometimes more.

Reactions: TheForce
From the 6 to 11 a lot of things have changed. You should investigate what you're getting into before assuming that the swap will be quick and painless. Apple (cringing) has made it increasingly difficult if not impossible for 3rd party repair. The 11 included as you will see. Even if the battery came with all of the tools, tape, etc to swap it.
Yaaaaa. Apple sucks and is why I don't have enough volume to justify getting the extra jigs to do a simple, error message free replacement. Then again I'm not going to tell you to not try it on your 11. Tell me how it went.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlrTWadPXTA

I have had good experiences with iFixit for my electronics repairs over the years. The have the parts and tear-down guides for most mobile phones. Here’s the land page for your iPhone 11 Pro Max:
As arlo said, Apple has made changes to the iPhones’ construction that increases the difficulty of disassembly and reassembly in the interests of moisture and dust intrusion. Or dickishness, depends on your stance on Right to Repair… ;)

Reactions: TheForce
Planned obsolescence by way of exorbitant repair fees and proprietary internal components paired to the particular unit with the inability of 3rd party repair facilities and the owner of the device to perform repairs.
Heaven forbid your eye-car pukes a battery in the middle of bfe and the closest factory repair facility is in Fresno only to find even they cannot pair a new one to get you on your way again. But there's a lot full of brand new ones with drooling salesmen lined up to sell you one with no sticker negotiations as per company policy.

My iPhone 3S and 6 both lasted a long time, well beyond surpassing software updates. I needed to replace the battery in the 6 a year or two in, but otherwise, it worked well beyond its software obsolescence.

I'm not an Apple cultist, but their phones lasted very long.

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
From the 6 to 11 a lot of things have changed. You should investigate what you're getting into before assuming that the swap will be quick and painless. Apple (cringing) has made it increasingly difficult if not impossible for 3rd party repair. The 11 included as you will see. Even if the battery came with all of the tools, tape, etc to swap it.
Yaaaaa. Apple sucks and is why I don't have enough volume to justify getting the extra jigs to do a simple, error message free replacement. Then again I'm not going to tell you to not try it on your 11. Tell me how it went.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlrTWadPXTA

Thanks. While the additional tools are not expensive, the process now makes it questionable if worth the effort. I was not aware of the new complexity of doing the repair compared to what I did in the past on older iphones. I'll just use my 11 Pro Max until it dies or the battery recharging frequency is really annoying. Again, thanks for the update.

Reactions: Foxbat
My iPhone 3S and 6 both lasted a long time, well beyond surpassing software updates. I needed to replace the battery in the 6 a year or two in, but otherwise, it worked well beyond its software obsolescence.

I'm not an Apple cultist, but their phones lasted very long.
Agree! One thing going for me is I do not make many calls on the iphone and have very little talk time. In the % screen time is the Tesla app as 40% but most of my communications I do on the Apple watch so I probably get good long term use on the iphone battery. The watch is just more convenient.

Just to add. I try to keep up with tech. I saw a battery swap video where a new battery was installed in an 11 Max.
A brand new replacement has to be cut open and the old, paired to the phone, battery management system (BMS) board is swapped from the original. But that's not enough. A specialized programmer is needed to configure the new battery pack to get rid of the battery health, etc messaages. Pretty nuts actually. Watch the link. Do you think this is a good business practice for a device you bought and that you thought you owned? Interested in knowing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeCbn6_LNw

BTW, iOS 17 is rumored to be for iPhone XS and newer. iPhone 8 and iPhone X will be stuck at iOS 16 as the latest version. That’s just over five years of full support. But then another source says iOS 17 will support the same devices that iOS 16 supports, plus any new hardware coming in the Fall. Only Apple knows for sure, and we won’t hear until WWDC.

Reactions: navychop
Do you think this is a good business practice for a device you bought and that you thought you owned?
Good business practice? Yes. As long as the phones last for years it doesn't matter, IMO. How many people will go to the trouble like us to actually repair a 4 year old phone? A simple battery swap like it used to be is one thing, but needing to dissect the old battery and do welding and then reprogram with another special tool is over the top for me. As someone who could do the repair but considers the new technology as important, this will give me more incentive to upgrade when my 11 Pro Max battery is spent. At 85%, I'm not there yet.

I wonder what Apple charges for a battery swap on the 11 Pro Max??

One thing I did discover is that I paid too much for my 11 with 512Mb storage. At the most I only use 210Mb. Next time I'll buy half the storage.

BTW, my Xs Pro is at 80% battery life.

Come the Fall, I may have to make that replace battery or replace phone decision.

BTW, my Xs Pro is at 80% battery life.

Come the Fall, I may have to make that replace battery or replace phone decision.
I would like to get a new Apple Watch for the new features so I may just decide to get the battery replaced unless the new iphone 15 is more compelling. Everything keeps going up in price so unless the stock market cooperates, I may just do with the battery swap. $89 for new life isn't such a big hit compared to $1400 or so. I don't recall if I still have Applecare+ on it. Then it would be free.

Reactions: navychop
My battery has 85% of when it was new. I bought a spare battery for it awhile back thinking the phone is old now but still works great and does what I need. I bought the maximum storage too so it wasn't cheap. The question is for anyone who has installed a new battery or had Apple do it, when did you decide your battery wasn't up to your needs?

I have all the right tools and have done battery swaps and screen swaps for quite a few before. Family members send me their ipads and iphones. I recall when I did my iphone 6 it was not lasting even a day. This 11 still lasts for 3 days.

I had considered getting the new 15 this year but not sure if I really need what it may offer.
Decades ago Samsung and then Sprint got me hooked on their Samsung Notes and early upgrades so each year I would simply turn in my old one and pick up the new one. I did this for every single Note ever made. Two years ago I switched to ATT and they screwed me over by not adding the early upgrade option. And then Samsung dropped the Note series. I thought about upgrading to the Fold but I am liking not paying for a phone right now. I keep it in a Otterbox and its like brand new! I would still consider swapping out the battery and keeping it as a backup phone if you decide to get a new phone. Apple still puts out good quality just not like it was. I am so PC/Android I get lost in the Apple world.

I would still consider swapping out the battery and keeping it as a backup phone if you decide to get a new phone.
The only use I ever had for a backup phone is my Sony android phone that I found a use for attached to my drone controller. The iphones are free from trouble. My only reason I would upgrade is for any compelling new feature. I wouldn't trade the 11 in for a new iphone because it would only bring $100. Instead, I have a 12 year old grandson who will get it. I gave my wife's old SE to the older grandson a couple years ago. They're good kids so they deserve it. Both are straight A students and leaders in their sports teams. Both of them did smash their ipad screens twice and I repaired those. Told them if they smash them again I won't fix them again.