New Construction Initial Hookup

jarrodk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Pardon the ignorance, but I'm still new to this. I prewired our new construction home, running five wires from a central location in the basement to the dish location. I also ran two cable wires from each room into the house to the same central location. Dish is coming tomorrow to hook up the system, but I've got all of my wires dangling. I'm assuming they'll connect 2(?) of the wires to the dish on the outside. Do I need something at the central location to connect the dish wires to the local cables, or will Dish supply that hardware? If I need to supply the hardware, what would you suggest (again, 5 satelitte wires running in, and about 6 or 7 rooms to hook up with the possibility of two wires per room internally). Also, do I need to have coax ends on all of the cables, or is that something they will provide as well?

Thanks for helping a novice out.

Jarrod

Last edited:
Nope! You've got the PERFECT set-up. Your installer would probably want to kiss you for doing the wiring. I actually prefer to use my own fittings. Piece of mind, I suppose. Not to mention it *should* prevent any return trips due to equipment failure.

webbydude said:
Nope! You've got the PERFECT set-up. Your installer would probably want to kiss you for doing the wiring. I actually prefer to use my own fittings. Piece of mind, I suppose. Not to mention it *should* prevent any return trips due to equipment failure.

agreed, you are ready to go... actually unless you put on compression connectors i'd cut em off and put my own on anyway

Good. I just hope the installers are smart enough to know what to hook up where. I didn't want them putting holes in the walls like they did with our previous house. Hopefully they can just hook it up and go.

Thanks again.

jarrodk said:
Good. I just hope the installers are smart enough to know what to hook up where. I didn't want them putting holes in the walls like they did with our previous house. Hopefully they can just hook it up and go.

Thanks again.
I just hope you have all those wires tagged so you/they know what goes where.:D
Good job. That's how we did our house and the install was great.

jarrodk wrote:... (again, 5 satelitte wires running in, and about 6 or 7 rooms to hook up with the possibility of two wires per room internally)...

Ya know, if he's getting more than 4 rooms and he has to use a 34-switch, he might actually need 3 lines to at least one of those rooms.(2 to the dual tuner, one for the backfeed). Unless I'm just doing something wrong, I've never been able to use a diplexer in conjunction with a 34 switch and dual tuner.

Roadwarrior said:
jarrodk wrote:... (again, 5 satelitte wires running in, and about 6 or 7 rooms to hook up with the possibility of two wires per room internally)...

Ya know, if he's getting more than 4 rooms and he has to use a 34-switch, he might actually need 3 lines to at least one of those rooms.(2 to the dual tuner, one for the backfeed). Unless I'm just doing something wrong, I've never been able to use a diplexer in conjunction with a 34 switch and dual tuner.

sure ya can.. you just have to "undiplex" it before you get to the 34... in fact if you really wanted you could undiplex it right before the switch, and "re-diplex" it after the switch

birddoggy said:
sure ya can.. you just have to "undiplex" it before you get to the 34... in fact if you really wanted you could undiplex it right before the switch, and "re-diplex" it after the switch

Doh, so the only thing I'm doing wrong is putting the "outside" diplexer on the wrong side of the 34? From there on it's just standard? I get messed up by the simplest things. I tried it once runnining ground block->34->diplexer->diplexer->receiver and it didn't work. My manager told me I couldn't do it through a 34 so I just never tried again. Do you know how much time and cable I've wasted on that? Thanks.

Just to be clear, you have done this before?

actually the best set up for prewire, is 5 wires outside with one cable at least being messenger, 3 RG 6, and 2 cat5e to each location in the house, you end up with plenty of cable to do anything, a phone hookup and internet hookup at each location. , but with your setup, he needs to install the dish, put on fittings and ground, and download receivers, pretty much it, although make sure if you don't have the rated barrels in the wallplates, he changes those out

Roadwarrior said:
Doh, so the only thing I'm doing wrong is putting the "outside" diplexer on the wrong side of the 34? From there on it's just standard? I get messed up by the simplest things. I tried it once runnining ground block->34->diplexer->diplexer->receiver and it didn't work. My manager told me I couldn't do it through a 34 so I just never tried again. Do you know how much time and cable I've wasted on that? Thanks.

Just to be clear, you have done this before?

ha, of couse... i've tried EVERYTHING :p
play with diplexers... they can do amazing things...
my favorite is using a bunch of splitters and diplexers to send the second side of a dual tuner back out to the second room, as well as carrying the UHF remote signal. that way even from really long distances the UHF remote works like you were in the same room

birddoggy said:
ha, of couse... i've tried EVERYTHING :p
play with diplexers... they can do amazing things...
my favorite is using a bunch of splitters and diplexers to send the second side of a dual tuner back out to the second room, as well as carrying the UHF remote signal. that way even from really long distances the UHF remote works like you were in the same room

Well, I got my hands on a 34 switch and tried it on my own 625, which I had running from a twin, and hard lined the tv2 just to eliminate any future problems. It works great! I didnt even get any signal degredation. The guy who told me it wouldnt work has been doing this for about 6 years. It's a wonder I can even install these things with the training I've gotten. Thanks much BD. I learn something new on here every time I log on.

BTW, is that just common knowledge? Did everybody know that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)