new customer instalation cost question

samlooker

Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Hi,

I am thinking of switching to DISH, I would like to get a superdish (with a 522 and a 942), I know that the dish will need to be installed on a post at my yard (too many trees), will this considered part of the free install for new customers? How much I might need to pay, if any?

Thx,
Sam

samlooker said:
Hi,

I am thinking of switching to DISH, I would like to get a superdish (with a 522 and a 942), I know that the dish will need to be installed on a post at my yard (too many trees), will this considered part of the free install for new customers? How much I might need to pay, if any?

Thx,
Sam

Are you wanting a SuperDISH for internationals or locals? I know you get a free SuperDISH with locals but I don't know about internationals. Also, be aware that SuperDISHes that are easily accessible (such as your front yard) are often the target of thieves since they are valuable. There's been reports of dishes stolen while people were watching TV.

Free (standard) installation is usually for any existing structure.
We charge $35 extra for mounting on a yard installed post(dig hole, concrete, post).

Superdish is only for certain parts of the country where locals may be on three different birds. If your locals are on 119, 110 - you don't need a s-dish.

fred

Fredinva said:
Free (standard) installation is usually for any existing structure.
We charge $35 extra for mounting on a yard installed post(dig hole, concrete, post).

Superdish is only for certain parts of the country where locals may be on three different birds. If your locals are on 119, 110 - you don't need a s-dish.

fred
Related issue.

E* offered me a free second dish to get additional locals. I haven't decided I want it as I don't want to upset the Homeowners Assn by putting in another dish. Is this the "superdish"? If so, is it the same size as the regular one? Does it mount on or next to the other dish? What extra wiring is required? another cable to my DP34? Another to the receivers?

Thanks,

Jpezz

the second dish for addtl locals will either be 148 or 61.5, and these will be either on an 18" or 20" dish it doesn't matter. Usually these must carries are for PBS and other junk. find out which locals they are and if you don't want him don't bother

Dish Dude said:
the second dish for addtl locals will either be 148 or 61.5, and these will be either on an 18" or 20" dish it doesn't matter. Usually these must carries are for PBS and other junk. find out which locals they are and if you don't want him don't bother

Ahem!

I got the second dish only so that I could get additional PBS stations. With the four (three in my DMA and PBSX) and timeshifting I can watch Nature and Angellina Ballerina pretty much anytime I want. Well, I guess I should say that the kids can watch ...

All the best....

Roadrhino

the hmnrs assoc cannot tell you,you can only have one dish and since you do have line of sight problems if it were to be mount to your house the they have to by law let you mount it on a pole

philssatellite said:
what area are you in?

I am in MA. I called D* and ordered the system yesterday (942+522). I was told the free install covers the pole mounting, not sure if the installer would agree on that...
I was given a quote that aside the programing fee, I'll pay $4.9 + $4.9 + $5, seems to me I don't have to pay the fee for renting the 522?

Sam

The actuall guidelines were posted by someone in an earlier form about homeowners associations etc. by the FCC. As long as it is in the yard, under a 1 meter, the association for the most part can't say anything. They cannot say anything about a second dish as well as long as it is not bigger than 1 meter. But do try to come to compromise on location, because if you piss them off they have been known to assess other problems on your property unfairly. the guidelines are at www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Yesterday I called in and ordered the system (942 and 522), they'll install next week. Supprise that it's so quick seems they do have inventory now. I was told the free install will cover the pole mounting of the superdish, not sure if the install will aggree that, will see.
I was given a quote that aside the programing fee I'll pay $4.9 + $4.9 + $5 for the fees, seems that I don't need to pay the rental fee for the 522?

ma

philssatellite said:
what area are you in?

I am in MA.
Yesterday I called in and ordered the system (942 and 522), they'll install next week. Supprise that it's so quick seems they do have inventory now. I was told the free install will cover the pole mounting of the superdish, not sure if the install will aggree that, will see.
I was given a quote that aside the programing fee I'll pay $4.9 + $4.9 + $5 for the fees, seems that I don't need to pay the rental fee for the 522?

I am in MA.
I was given a quote that aside the programing fee I'll pay 4.9 + 4.9 + 5 for the fees, seems that I don't need to pay the rental fee for the 522?

samlooker said:
I am in MA.
I was given a quote that aside the programing fee I'll pay 4.9 + 4.9 + 5 for the fees, seems that I don't need to pay the rental fee for the 522?
If it's possible, get it in writing before they do the install. I'm not sure E* is willing to do that. It could save you a lot of aggravation later on.

Dish Dude said:
The actuall guidelines were posted by someone in an earlier form about homeowners associations etc. by the FCC. As long as it is in the yard, under a 1 meter, the association for the most part can't say anything. They cannot say anything about a second dish as well as long as it is not bigger than 1 meter. But do try to come to compromise on location, because if you piss them off they have been known to assess other problems on your property unfairly. the guidelines are at www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

I know the rules about dishes. And I will probably be on the HOA board in the elections this week. But being a nice neighbor is part of the deal and my concern was that it would begin to look ugly not only to them but to me with multiple dishes. I also don't want to set a precedent. I was the first to have a dish. I would like the extra PBS channel that comes with the second dish but it is not important enough to add it. I was hoping that it was just a smaller dish that attached to the first one.

JohnP :(

Just had D* put in down in my work order via live chat. The CSR was really nice. Good service D*!

twillers said:
If it's possible, get it in writing before they do the install. I'm not sure E* is willing to do that. It could save you a lot of aggravation later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts