New customer, upgrading to new hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TARad

Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Indianapolis
This might be a stupid question, but I've got to ask it. I signed up for services (2 hoppers, 2 joeys) on the 30th of December. Everything was installed on the 4th of January and everything is awesome. I want to state that I'm not complaining at all, and I don't want to come off as an angry customer. I'm really not.

But anyway... three days after my install at CES the new Hopper with sling was announced. I know that with technology sometimes this happens, but I've had the Dish for a little over a week and will have had Dish for less than two weeks once the new Hoppers are released. It stings a bit to know that if I had waited just two weeks I would have been able to get the new Hopper. As a brand new customer, is there a way to upgrade without paying some massive amounts of money?

And on the same note, is it even worth upgrading? Other than the sling, is it that much better?

Thanks for the continued help and knowledge :)

I feel you on the timing. I had my service installed and and HOUR later I read about the CES announcement. I have had several conversations with CSR's at the 800 number, and they all assure me that all I have to do is call and request the new box since I am leasing my equipment and haven't had it that long. Only time will tell when the new boxes are available if that will happen or not.

And on the same note, is it even worth upgrading? Other than the sling, is it that much better?
Sling and iPad transfer are the only differences. You can always get a sling adapter.

I feel you on the timing. I had my service installed and and HOUR later I read about the CES announcement. I have had several conversations with CSR's at the 800 number, and they all assure me that all I have to do is call and request the new box since I am leasing my equipment and haven't had it that long. Only time will tell when the new boxes are available if that will happen or not.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one. I hope the CSR's are right and not just saying that to get people to stop asking lol. You're right, time will tell!

Sling and iPad transfer are the only differences. You can always get a sling adapter.

Wouldn't an integrated sling be more efficient/less chance of error? Or is it basically the exact same thing?

Other than that is all hardware the same?

The new one is faster and has more RAM for greater future proofing.

And I sure wouldn't count on getting upgraded hardware for nothing.

Caveat Emptor.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one. I hope the CSR's are right and not just saying that to get people to stop asking lol. You're right, time will tell!

Wouldn't an integrated sling be more efficient/less chance of error? Or is it basically the exact same thing?

Internal Sling is more stable than the external adapter. The 922 was an unstable receiver but the sling functionality was extremely solid.

The new one is faster and has more RAM for greater future proofing.

And I sure wouldn't count on getting upgraded hardware for nothing.

Caveat Emptor.
i wouldn't even believe a word out of any CSRs mouth regarding the new equipment until 1/17/13 (except maybe someone from DIRT). It's probably not even in their system yet so they likely have no clue what can be done at this point for pricing/upgrades.

Last edited:
i wouldn't even believe a word out of any CSRs mouth regarding the new equipment until 1/17/13 (except maybe someone from DIRT). It's probably not even in their system yet so they likely have no clue what can be done at this point for pricing/upgrades.

Exactly, do not believe anything a CSR tells you. I did an online chat with one last night and he did not know that the Hopper had an OTA module you could add to it. If you want the most accurate information come here and ask. Between the members here and DIRT there shouldn't be anything that can't be handled.

What, they aren't reading this site? ;)

I wonder how a CSR would react, coming here and reading all the bad, little of the good.

What, they aren't reading this site? ;)

I wonder how a CSR would react, coming here and reading all the bad, little of the good.

I'm sure some would take offense but I think most would agree that they either, lack the knowledge or are too lazy to actually solve an issue. Being a fist level CSR is not usually a highly sought after job by educated and motivated people.

I called dish today. I had to be transferred to the customer retention, and had to speak with a manager. I explained to him that an hour after the install I found out about the Hopper with sling, and explained how I immediately started trying to find out either about upgrading to the new box or to cancel my service and I would have signed back up in 10 days. They originally wanted to knock off $100 off the $300 upgrade price. I did explain to him about how I had been lied to by several other CSR's over the course of 3 days. It took a little bit of haggling, but he did upgrade my equipment free of charge. He did have to schedule an install date and not just ship me the hardware, but he said I also would not have to worry about shipping the equipment back. He told me that he didn't want to start out our business relationship this way, and that's why he comped it. Your mileage may vary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts