New Customer?

Wangta01

Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
New York, NY
Hi,

I setup an account for my parents three years ago, they live in a totally different state than me, and I have been paying for the service.

My parents just got a new HD TV and when I inquired about upgrading to a HDTV receiver, I was told I needed to buy the box for $199.99. Upon further review, I see that NEW CUSTOMERS get the box for FREE and get a credit for 10 months. I asked if I could do this since we have been loyal customers, yada yada. Was promptly told NO, this only applies to new customers.

My question, is it possible for me to cancel the account and have my parents open up their own? Wouldn't this make them NEW customers? I am a little miffed that new customers are getting better deals than existing customers who have been paying for over 3 years!

Yes you can cancell the account and mom and pop can open their own so long as it is in their name and not yours. This does make them new customers in theory as the current account is in your name. New customers will get better deals, thats how business works, however you shoudl call back and talk to another sales rep as there are existing customer upgrade options that dont require you to buy the equipment.

Van said:
Yes you can cancell the account and mom and pop can open their own so long as it is in their name and not yours. This does make them new customers in theory as the current account is in your name. New customers will get better deals, thats how business works, however you shoudl call back and talk to another sales rep as there are existing customer upgrade options that dont require you to buy the equipment.

Thanks Van - I was on the phone for 30 minutes talking to this indian lady that had no idea what was going on. I'm guessing DishNetworks outsources their CS to india. I felt bad for this lady, I was badgering her on specifics and she didn't seem to have any of the answers. Anyways, long story short, the conclusion was that I would have to pay extra for HDTV service, one way or another.

I think i will go ahead with this plan. Saving $199.99 is definately worth it, considering the TV cost around $2G (Panny TH-37PX60U).

You might be confusing two different HD receivers. The $199 is the 622 HD-DVR receiver. It is not free for new customers, still $199. The free receiver is the 211 HD receiver, without DVR.

Oh crap, I would want the HD-DVR, so it looks like I would have to pay the $199.99 regardless. Would I get the reduced monthly price though?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)