New DBS Expansion Band

Cant wait to see the satellite dish to pick up all those.. or the switch that is going be needed to get just 1/2 those.. its insane. hey i didn't know E* owned a dish at 77* hmm learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
Is this the latest example of Ergan's UNofficial tactic of "legalized warehousing"? Just look at the history of how Charlie loves to gobble-up those satellite slots. And there are a few entities who are trying to enter the DBS business. Anything to make it more difficult for current or possible competitors?

Wahah a cost of 2.85 billion over 6 years? (based on 285 million per satt to construct, launch, insure and maintain) Hrmm. Nope, no price increases on the horizon for dish at all! ;0 Well, we requested HD, here it is! :) A Lotttttt of it..! Man charlie really is good at having an ace up his sleeve on DSS! DSS advertised 150 national hd channel capability, charlie will announce triple that! hah ;0 I fear the dish needed to setup all of this ;0 It will have to be some sort of toroidal dish to get all of this!

-B

may bring more hd too dish but cuck is soo dumb hell put hd all across the board from 61.9 to 147.6
i can see discovery hd moving to 61.9 and epn hd's moving to 147.6

"...completing construction of the first satellite within four years of the grant, and placing the entire DBS Expansion Band system in operation within six years of the grant..."

Something to look forward to. I'll have to check back in four or five years.

"...completing construction of the first satellite within four years of the grant, and placing the entire DBS Expansion Band system in operation within six years of the grant..."

Something to look forward to. I'll have to check back in four or five years.

Needed however when lots of cable channels, and locals, start going over to HD.

They will probably put national channels on the center satellites, and use the side satellites for all the LiL HD. This will make it so they do not have to make expensive spot beam satellites. So, any individual market would probably only need to "see" 2-3 satellites for all the national and LiL channels.

That would make sense to have all national HD channels at the center satellites then one set of markets would turn the dish more to the left to pick up those satellites for HD locals and another set of markets would turn the dish more to the right to pick up their HD locals. This would be like how SuperDish 105/121 works, they do not use both, just one or the other but there would probably be more satellites for cores and possibly more satellites on each side (splitting up some core channels to each side) depending on if there are enough satellites in the middle that everybody can see. They might even want to lease some of the satellites out.

Cant wait to see the satellite dish to pick up all those.. or the switch that is going be needed to get just 1/2 those.. its insane. hey i didn't know E* owned a dish at 77* hmm learn something new everyday.

When I had c-band, there were a lot more satellite locations. The receiver simply moved the dish to find the correct satellite for the channel you requested. Your switch technology then allowed that signal to go to multiple receivers. Echostar was the company who was a leader in building that type of receiver. The technology exists to move the dish. RVers do it all the time. The little E* dish should be a lot easier to move than the 3-4 meter c-band dishes. The major problem you have is that all the receivers will be limited to the channels on the selected satellite( 24 c-band and 36 ku-band). Some how millions of c-band users survived with this technology. I remember if you were watching a station at the east limit and then moved the dish to get a station on the west limit , it could take a minute or two.
If you use a movable dish 1000+ , you could see 4 satellites at the same time. You would just need to set the satellite spacing to be the same so on each move the 4 lnbs line up. This way hundreds of channels are availabe on each move. However, not all may be available.
Many OTA antennas also use a rotor to move the antenna to face different channel's tower locations. It has been a long time since I have used one. I remember the rotor control had to be set by hand to move the antenna. If you had more than one tv connected to the OTA antenna you were also limited in reception quality to the stations the antenna was facing.

The way I would seem them programming, would be to have 110/119 still be the main programming locations since they could use LNBs that did both the old and the new spectrum. That way you got all the STD off old DBS 110/119 and all the HD national channels off the new 110/119.

For LiL major HD markets would be on 86.3/114.5/124/128.6 since all those would be able to be single dish solutions. Not all satellites on one dish, but your market might have 86.3/110/119 for its single dish and another would have 110/119/128.6 for example, there would have to be different brackets for the LNBs for the LiL for your market. You could get a base dish and get the bracket for the LNBs for your particular market.

Smaller markets would have to have a 2 dish solution most likely for LiL HD. AK/HI on 147 and smaller eastern markets on 61/67/77. 77 might stretch on a single dish for 77/110/119 if they came up with a special dish for it, which they imply in the application by saying 67 is too far away for a single dish solution.

Actually if they were to be granted all 10 slots they could probably do every market LiL HD and have all of AT250 in HD with probably the top 150 or so markets single dish solutions.

The major problem that I see with a movable dish in this day and age is the DVR issue. What if I want to DVR two shows, 1 on each side of the spectrum? Big time problem.

No wonder Murdoch and his designates make every legal move against Dish at every turn.

They know that, although he can sometimes be exasperatingly cryptic, Charile is not stupid. Charlie knows that he who runs a satellite company AND controls the skys controls the marketplace. He knows that capacity is everything. Direct has been telling people for over a year that a ridiculous number of HD channels are coming, yet they know they have no bandwidth to deliver; I guess lies should not be unexpected from the media conglomerate that also runs Fox.

Charlie is firing on all eight cylinders.

Direct is lying to people and wringing its hands in fear and frustration.

I expect Dish to have an AWESOME year in 2007: DishOnline with pseudo on-demand-like features, killer PocketDish units that accept HD recordings, more and more HD national and local channels; excellent HD-DVR units at very fair prices; superior customer service and support.

Dish will blow away everyone at CES.

By the end of the decade I wouldn't be surprised to also see an end to HD-lite at Dish.

We all need to sit back, smile and enjoy the ride as Dish eats into everyone else's marketshare.

I read through that document in the first post, and one thing I am wondering, do these new BSS licenses have a max # of transpoders allowed per location? Is it the same as DBS (32) or something different? Is it feasible to put up a bird with more transponders than that? Or wont they even get 32?

I read through that document in the first post, and one thing I am wondering, do these new BSS licenses have a max # of transpoders allowed per location? Is it the same as DBS (32) or something different? Is it feasible to put up a bird with more transponders than that? Or wont they even get 32?

It looks like they are 500 MHZ of spectrum each, so they could do either 24 or 32. Dish would probably opt for 32.

"...Charlie loves to gobble-up those satellite slots. And there are a few entities who are trying to enter the DBS business. Anything to make it more difficult for current or possible competitors?..."

Not quite. You have to actually USE the assignments granted within a certain period of time or you lose them. And the FCC would hold back some for a new entrant- but there apparently really aren't any, anymore.

And since the number of frequencies are limited, I'd expect them to still use spotbeams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)