New DirecTV install - equipment information

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swrdfghtr

Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Just had a brand-new DirecTV dish, 2 HD DVRs, an HD receiver, and SD receiver installed. The installer said the receivers were all of the newest variety, and were only a few months old (which I had expected).

He also used a new kind of power injector and DECA module. I had been expecting that each of those devices would need a dedicated coax run to the satellite (or rather the splitter). Both, however, can use the same coax as any receiver. The injector can pass along the signal to a receiver as well as inject power on the line to the splitter. The DECA module worked the same way.

Maybe I had the wrong expectation, but this was a welcome revelation. Four receivers = 4 coax runs to splitter, 1 coax run to dish. Simply need a spare power outlet near one receiver, for the injector, and an Ethernet port near where the DECA box will go.

Just thought folks would enjoy knowing.

You bet it is! I have a setup similar to yours and it was nice to see that the DVR only needed one line since we were upgraded to a second DVR in the bedroom and I only put one line in that room.

Direct TV support still has a lot to learn on this subject. Since I wanted to do all the in-wall work myself, I called the Direct TV folks about 2 months ago to get the requirements. The tech told me I needed two lines to the DVR. The person I talked with even consulted others around her to verify that configuration. So, I put in two lines to the front room where the DVR was going to be. When the installer showed up he said I only needed one line (so the DVR in the bedroom works just fine with only the one wire). Obviously, everyone is on a steep learning curve on this.

With your configuration you probably got the Whole Home DVR Did your installer have difficulties getting it to work? Mine did and I am glad he did since I now know what to do after a power failure (which is not uncommon where I live). You have to think network with the 24s and bring them up sequentially otherwise the ip addressing gets whacked and the receiver/DVR units do not see each other.

I just hope you are enjoying your new service as much as I am.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)