New DISH EHD

But the drive linked above works fine on my H1, despite Dish's statement to the contrary.

Edit: I just remembered that my H1 is not an original model. I think it's an "H1 Version 2" or something. My original H1 failed, so Dish sent a replacement which I noticed was a little faster (but it does not have built-in Sling). Not sure if that makes a difference.
In the link above, Dish is even recommending this drive for the ViP211. So, as stated previously, any MPEG-4 Dish receiver should work with this just fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just to clarify: It looks like the WD Elements 2TB drive that DISH is selling is a self powered desktop variety drive and is not the portable USB powered drive of the same name. Apparently DISH still requires self powered external hard drives.

Reactions: pattykay
The people who would be aware of that, are probably not the target audience. ;)
There are plenty of folks out there who think everything has to "match" (not in looks, but in 'brand'). When my co-worker started his company, he bought a Macbook Pro for his computer. For a back-up drive (external), he bought a model .... from the Apple store. Needs WiFi at the office, right ? Bought an Apple Airport router. Oh, had to get an iPhone too even though there's no functional connection between his phone and his computer. They're made by the same company though so they must work together better, right ?

A few years ago, the router was flaking out so I picked a non-Apple router for him to pick up. He asked "will it work with our Macs?". Similar thing when that external HDD died - found 2-3 choices available at Walmart. He checked the boxes to see if they said they were "Mac-compatible".

Now that makes more sense to me. I have a couple of 1Tb WD Elements which are self powered that work just fine and they cost me more than the portable that I listed....

Reactions: charlesrshell
Reactions: navychop
That would be great, IF the Hopper's could "see" more than 2TB of that drive. I believe that the Broadcom chip in all Hopper series is unable to "see" more than 2TB per drive. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that.

It's still cheaper, even if you can't use it all.

Buy a drive dock and populate it with SATA drives as needed.

Large drives are mostly good for losing everything when they fail, so I stick to the 250GB to 500GB range, maybe a 1TB if it's needed for a large collection.

From DISH:

"The Western Digital Element is compatible with all MPEG-4 receivers."
In the link above, Dish is even recommending this drive for the ViP211. So, as stated previously, any MPEG-4 Dish receiver should work with this just fine.
Just to clarify: After giving it some more thought, I guess this hard drive still would not work with the ViP222 and ViP222k. :)

Reactions: DWS44 and JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)