New Dish Install Issues - Suggestions Welcomed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ItsMyLife

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
I got Dish first week in January and it's been great. Seeing what I was getting for the price and how much I liked it, my Mother decided to do away with her cable and get Dish installed at her house.

Last Friday she got it installed... one 2-room DVR and a 1-room regular box... all standard def stuff.

The installer seemed to have a problem with the DVR when installing it and had to call his boss who told him to unplug it and plug it in to get it working at that time.

Everything else seemed to go ok except the installer left TV2 on the DVR box set to "acquiring satellite" and they had to call the 800 # to figure out what to do after he left.

The real problems started the next day. When they woke up and tried to turn on TV2 on the DVR, all that would come up was the EPG information... no picture... just a black screen. They had to unplug the box and plug it back in to get it working. I think both TV1 and TV2 are affected. This was a daily occurance throughout the week having to reset the box every morning.

On top of that, the sound on the second stand-alone box was distorted on that set intermittently... ok at times... other times or on other channels it gets distorted. 0-2 on the boxes.

They called Dish on Monday and they scheduled a guy to come out yesterday (Saturday). He looked at everything and found that everything looked wired correctly. He changed stuff out at the Dish itself (I guess the LNBs?) and changed a wire going from the box to the set on the stand-alone box.

Today... they woke up and the same thing was happening on the DVR... they had to unplug it and plug it in to get it working. In fact, they said they had to do this several times to get it working.

Also, the sound on that second stand-alone box is still distorted.

So they called Dish back again today... they're shipping them 2 new boxes this week and an installer is scheduled to come out next Saturday.

Needless to say, they are VERY frustrated and wondering if they made a mistake. If this next visit doesn't fix it, they're going to bail on Dish and go back to cable.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be... is it just bad luck with equipment here or is there a bigger issue going on that we're not thinking of right now?

Dish is just like a cable company, you don't always get new equipment. When a customer cancels the equipment is recycled. DISH also has had a terrible software problem, just read these forums.

It sounds to me like a bad bo:mad:es). I know the frustration you're probably experiencing. I joined Dish after a TERRIBLE customer service experience with Direct and I had a GREAT install. My neighbor, seeing how great my service was, decided to go with Dish and he had heck getting his scheduled and installed! Now that it's in, he loves it, but I felt so bad for him!

My suggestion would be when the tech comes out next Saturday to change the box, ask him to check the signal strength on the satellite. I'd tell you to do that yourself too, but I'm not familiar with the standard def boxes. I know I was losing signal just a little too often until i had a local dish installer come out to install an OTA for me, and while he was there, i asked him to check the alignment of the dishes. He did and kinda tweaked them a bit and now i'm up to 85-95% signal strength on all 3 sats, when the first guy said that 60-75 was the best he could do!

good luck!

In today's mass production, low profit margin world there are going to be failures. It is unfortunate when it happens and especially to someone we know and probably recommended the item to them.

It is very frustrating for sure, but if they remain professional and diligent, Dish will usually get things right. Sometimes it takes an email to the executive office, but it can be fixed!

I have had to do that myself and they took care of me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)