New Dish Network OTA Installation Question

chriswx

Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
CT
Hi There,

I am about to become a new Dish Network customer and had a question about OTA. First, I assume most of the boxes let you hook up an OTA antenna, is that correct? I would be getting a DVR Duo receiver. Also, if I purchase one of those antennas that snap onto the satellite dish, would the Dish Network installer be willing to hook up that antenna to the dish and run the cable down to my box? Or would this be considered an extra service? These may be silly questions, but I'm rather new to the whole satellite TV thing. I've had cable forever, but wanted to switch to Dish Network to save money.

Oh, last question, any recommendations on the best antenna to use for OTA? I saw this antenna on-line (the Trek DTV42). Would this fit the current Dish Network Satellite Dish? Here is a link to it. Seems reasonably priced. Terk DTV42 Antenna DBS Clip-on OTA Antenna for a 18" DirecTV dish

Thanks,

Dish Network Newbie

All the VIP series DVRs have ATSC tuners. Current SD DVRs do not. (You didn't mention which you intend to get.)

Ok... it is the RCVR 622/722 HD DUO DVR. I'm not sure if that gives you enough information, but that was cut was cut and pasted directly from the Dish Network order screen.

As far as installing your OTA antenna, I wouldn't count on it. From my perspective as an installer, I wouldn't want to take on the added responsibility of making sure that your OTA antenna works correctly, especially if it's not up to par for getting reception. Generally speaking, I don't mess with it if its not Dish Network related. It's hard enough keeping my stats in check as it is. Last thing I want is someone calling customer service to say that their OTA antenna channels aren't working and then I get dinged for it.

My advice would be to put up a totally separate antenna for OTA locals. The ones that attach to the dish are usually bi-directional so if your DISH antenna isn't in a good spot to pick up reception for the OTA you're screwed. Depending on where you're at in reference to your local towers, you may want to get a low gain omni directional antenna or even in some circumstances, you may need a couple of YAGI antennas to pull in all the OTA. Basically, you should research first and see what you need and take care of it. Don't rely on the technician to do something that may be outside of his skill set. Check antennaweb.org to see where broadcast towers are in relation to your house.

Depending on what receiver you get, you may need to purchase an additional part to hookup your OTA antenna. If you're getting a HDDVR, the 612, 622 or the 722 does not require the additional part, but you are only able to record 1 OTA program at a time. The other receiver is the 722k (or the 922) which does require the OTA Module (DISHSTORE.NET : ATSC OTA Tuner Cartridge for 922, 722k / 222k Receivers (Reman) [722k_OTA] - $34.99) to receive OTA programming. With this receiver you're able to watch/record 2 OTA programs at the same time.

Now, if you're getting a standard definition DVR - models 625 or 522 - then you don't need the OTA Module either, but it will not scan in the locals to the receiver. Meaning, you won't be able to access local OTA channels through the guide in the receiver or use the DVR to record OTA channels. Basically it just passes the OTA channels through to the TV.

if you're getting a 622/722 you can hook up the ota to the back and then scan for channels. as for the antenna, techs are NOT supposed to install it, it's a 3rd party item and if we damage it, i'm sure dish would fire us. if you get a subcontractor he might do it for extra money.

you can go to antennaweb.org and look up the azumith and tell the tech, he could point the proper direction for you using his inclonometer

if you're getting a 622/722 you can hook up the ota to the back and then scan for channels. as for the antenna, techs are NOT supposed to install it, it's a 3rd party item and if we damage it, i'm sure dish would fire us. if you get a subcontractor he might do it for extra money.

you can go to antennaweb.org and look up the azumith and tell the tech, he could point the proper direction for you using his inclonometer

One of the other reasons Dish doesn't have techs hook-up OTA is because the signal is unreliable and reception cannot be guaranteed. Basically, Dish just doesn't want to open up that can of worms, and rightly so IMO.

BTW, OP, the VIP K receivers do not have the OTA modulator built into them. You have to purchase them from Dish.

As far as the terk 42. I use a terk 44 on my dish and my parents dish without issue. I am within 25 miles of all stations so it works well. Easy to install and it makes one coax in to the house do both sat and ota. Used it for years now , going back to when I got my first hd tv.

As stated those clip on antennas are of little use. Too small and won't likely be pointed the right way.

I must disagree with Mike. Some are happy with Terk. But generally they are good looking, over priced and under performing. A search here or on the Internet will give you a good idea of how bad their rep is.

Except for the 211k, it has a built in OTA module.

You know I was trying to remember if the 211K had it but hadn't seen one in so long that I just basically guessed it didn't since it was a "K". The 722K, 222K and the 922 definitely don't have the OTA modulators.

Thanks for the correction.

Hey, I guess I could have used that internet thingy to double-check first.

The terk 44 is omni directional and it picks up ALL of my local stations in this area : Beaumont/Pt.Arthur ,Tx and two out of Lake Charles . So it more than does the job for me and it was easy to self install.

channel 4.1 KBTV Fox Beaumont
channel 6.1 Kfdm Cbs Beaumont
channel 6.2 Kfdm Cw Beaumont
channel 12.1 Kbmt Abc Beaumont
channel 12.2 Kjac Nbc Beaumont
channel 12.3 KuiL Mytx HD Beaumont
channel 12.4 Kuil Mytx Sd Beaumont
channel 34.1 Tbn Beaumont
Sub chan 34.2 church channel
Sub chan 34.3 JCTV
Sub chan 34.4 Enlace
Sub chan 34.5 Kidd programming

channel 29.1 Kvhp Fox Lake Charles
channel 29.2 Kvhp cw Lake Charles

This is the best site I've found for determining which size antenna you'll need.

TV Fool

Just enter your address and you find just about all the info you need. I live in the mountains of VA and use a Channel Master 3010. It's UHF/VHF with the optional 10w amp. This antenna was included with a standard install Voom used (anyone remember Voom...not talking about the voom stations, but Voom satellite?)

If you live in the flat lands and your stations are close you could try a Silver Sensor which you could place indoors. From almost everything I've read, stay away from Terk.

There always seems to be a lot of bias against TERK on this and other message boards anytime the word TERK is used. It may be justified in certain areas , but in my area which is Flat with no mountains and all my tv towers are within 25 miles, it works beautifully. I did not want to have to put up an old time ota antenna and this clip on antenna fits right on the dish itself. Easy to install and it works 100% of the time. It was only like 65.00 from Target and is easy to aim, since it is multi-directional. Now if you live near mountains, it might not fit your needs, but it is wrong to down a product simply because it didn't work when you tried it in your individual circumstance. If that was the case I would have to say all DISH receivers are crap since I had the buggy dish players (7100& 7200 models) and the awful 811 hd receiver and 921 dvr. They all became crap boxes but I still use DISH and I am presently trying to learn to use the glitchy 922 dvr.

It is just luck for the clip on antennas to work. Chances are the transmission towers are not in the direction you expect. If you market is all UHF for digital (there can still be analog low power out there), with no VHF mix, you might get away with it. Best bet is to go to antennaweb.org and do what that says. As far as clip on's, you may as well put a clip on bow tie on the antenna and paint a smiley face on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts