This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

New Dish subscriber with poor/dark pic quality

dkstuff

Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted this in wrong spot but....

I recently had Dish installed and I've had problem after problem since day 1. My 2 biggest problems are horrible picture quality and constant scrolling on the program Guide. I have 2 DVRs (625s) each with 2 TVs. I call them system 1 and system 2. System 1 quality seems OK for the most part but system 2 has horrible quality on movies and drama shows...or any programming where there are dark colors. The dark colors seem to go to extremely dark to the point the actors look like heads floating around on the screen because their clothing bleeds into the dark background. It is not my TVs which had wondering pictures on cable a week ago. A tech came out and acknowledged the problem (and also agreed it wasn't the TVs), however after trying a few things he said that it wasn't the receiver. After talking to his supervisor on the phone outside he came back in and said it must be the TV....but he had that look like he knew it wasn't but was told to say that. In any event I was wondering if anyone had this problem? I did try adjusting TV settings like brightness, tint, etc. but really no improvement except some very slight difference that has to be changed when changing to a non-drama show (too bright).

A new tech is coming out tomorrow. I've taken 3 days total off for this not to mention all the time on the phone. Does anyone have any good tech advice that I could mention to this guy tomorrow? I will likely have to cancel Dish if this cannot be corrected because it is VERY bad...not just a little.

I put the scrolling problem in another post.

Last edited:
I have the same prob here also on my toshiba 32'' in the living room. Some of the HD channels I watch I see a faded black line on the right side of the TV. At first I thought it was the TV but, when I pull the guide up its not there. I even see it when I play Madden on my 360, my guess its the TV!! Had best buy tech out last weekend, says TV was fine, wast of my time I guess.. I have a cheap lcd with the 622 in my bed room, and no line there, so I have no idea what to do..

It's such a pain. I've only had Dish a week so I haven't really watched that much. Right now Fine Living is one and it lacks "crispness". Peoples faces seem a little blurry. Not nearly as bad as "filmed in the dark" look of the other channels.

Try this and see if it helps. I have a 26" hd Toshiba in my bedroom. It is supposed to do 1080i. I hooked up my 622 with hdmi to the tv and the picture was awful. I had bars lines, pixelation ,generally crap picture. I changed the receiver resolution to 720p and the problems went away. The picture cleared and generally looks good. Not as good as my rear projection Toshiba with light sensor adjusting contrast, but good for a bedroom tv. Don't know if this will work for ya'll but it is worth a try. Another thing to try is to use the component and see if the picture looks better. I know the picture looks good over component on my bedroom hdtv , but even better with hdmi.

Nice going thanks!!! It cleaned up the SD channels a little better. My TV is only 720, the reciever was set for 1080i...I'll see tonight if I see the faded black line are gone also!!! That was my huge prob cause I would sit there and stair at it...lol Thanks