New Firefox - Dish Anywhere add-on broken

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Today I updated Firefox to the latest v43.0.1. When I was done, Firefox put up a message saying that the Dish Anywhere plug-in was not verified and could not be used.

When I try to install the Dish Anywhere plug-in I get error messages and it is not successful. (The plug-in cannot be installed because it is corrupt).

Do not install the latest Firefox if you want to use Dish Anywhere! (It works OK on my other computer with Firefox v42.0).

Dish, Please release a compatible plug-in!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Catman51
Latest FF would not restore my tabs. I had well over a hundred of them. I think I'll try Opera.

Today I updated Firefox to the latest v43.0.1. When I was done, Firefox put up a message saying that the Dish Anywhere plug-in was not verified and could not be used.

When I try to install the Dish Anywhere plug-in I get error messages and it is not successful. (The plug-in cannot be installed because it is corrupt).

I got the same results. Called Dish. They're aware of the problem and are "working with Mozilla" to resolve it, but don't have an estimate for when it will be fixed.

Do not install the latest Firefox if you want to use Dish Anywhere! (It works OK on my other computer with Firefox v42.0).

Dish, Please release a compatible plug-in!!!
It's an error to put the blame solely on Dish. FF is getting flakier all the time...and losing user ground.

It's an error to put the blame solely on Dish. FF is getting flakier all the time...and losing user ground.
Unfortunately, all the major browsers are plummeting in reliability and security. Last week's CERT report was crawling with browser bugs and vulnerabilities (you have to wade through several pages of Adobe malfeasance). IE (and its bastard derivative Edge) was a close second to Chrome for the worst case of the creepy crawlies. As Opera is based considerably on Chrome, it may not be the best alternative.

I've had a lot of lockups with Firefox in Windows of late as well. I use Icedove (Debian's compile of Firefox with non-Mozilla logos) under Linux and it has been relatively stable throughout. I suspect that the real problem may lie somewhere between Flash and Firefox.

Reactions: TheKrell
Flash is complete garbage and has been abandoned. Until everything gets switched to HTLM5 or other things we are stuck with this garbage.

Flash is complete garbage and has been abandoned.
When the site you're posting on uses Flash, your's is an especially silly statement.

I don't disagree that it is as bad as you say but as long as Microsoft insists on poisoning the marketplace with their industry non-standard web media offerings, Flash is what works more or less across the board.

There is nothing wrong with Flash - issue is its targeted alot by malware.

As for the topic - yes I came here just for this reason to see what the update was. I refuse to use any other browser so I'll have to wait I guess.

It's weird that when I look on my Mac for the biggest energy drain, it's Safari, and it's usually when I'm on SatelliteGuys. What's Flash doing in the background, I wonder?

There is a work around that you can try. This is should allow you to open the plug-in.

For Firefox 43.0

In the address bar type: "about:config"

A message will pop up for dangers of the these options agree to them if you would like to continue.

Search for "xpinstall.signatures.required". It should have a value of True.

Right click on "xpinstall.signatures.required"

then click on "Toggle" the value will change to false. After that just restart Firefox and try watching your Slingbox.

There is a work around that you can try. This is should allow you to open the plug-in.

For Firefox 43.0

A message will pop up for dangers of the these options agree to them if you would like to continue.

then click on "Toggle" the value will change to false. After that just restart Firefox and try watching your Slingbox.

That worked! Thank you and welcome to the forum. :)

:welcome

For Firefox 43.0

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, Mitchell Siegel!

The same problem happened with the Slingbox plug-in. The plug-in was disabled during the 43.0 browser upgrade. When prompted to install the new plug-in, a Firefox message stated the new plug-in was corrupt.

After toggling the "xpinstall.signatures.required" to false, the plug-in installed and watching my SlingBox again!

You all are great. I had to turn on the web player to "always activate" within Firefox addons settings. I was in an endless loop of installing. Works great, or like it was working now, after toggling that to false also.

There are many vulnerabilities with Flash (along with most other Adobe products) and most still have to use it regardless of the browser they use. That's why it is targeted.
Here's one for you, I spent days trying to figure out why my wired internet speeds were only a fraction of my wireless when measured with Speedtest. I searched and searched and never found an answer. Ultimately, Uverse sent me a new gateway, and no difference. Yesterday, stumbled into some obscure tech site where it was revealed that Flash could be the problem. After I disabled the plug-in's Auto Protect, BOOM...Speedtest was reading normal. Also found a Beta No Flash version which is great. However, if Flash and Firefox are so dodgy with each other, I'm considering moving to Chrome.

Here's one for you, I spent days trying to figure out why my wired internet speeds were only a fraction of my wireless when measured with Speedtest. I searched and searched and never found an answer. Ultimately, Uverse sent me a new gateway, and no difference. Yesterday, stumbled into some obscure tech site where it was revealed that Flash could be the problem. After I disabled the plug-in's Auto Protect, BOOM...Speedtest was reading normal. Also found a Beta No Flash version which is great. However, if Flash and Firefox are so dodgy with each other, I'm considering moving to Chrome.
That's one reason I got rid of FF, the other was the ungodly number of viruses that magically made their way to my computer. I deleted FF and every trace of the viruses magically disappeared, and upgraded to Windows 10 for everything to start working as expected. I honestly could not be happier with the setup, other than I am still relearning how to use the features of Chrome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)