New Guy

sunspot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Centreville, Alabama
Hello folks. Another Newbie here, most likely with the same old questions. I have done searchs for my answers and learned a lot and came up with more questions I couldn't find answers on. Let me lay it out.
I am leaving the old C-Band after many years of use. I'm looking at getting a 510 or a 522 receiver and a dual LNB to feed to a single television set. I will subscribing to the Almost Everything Pak. Should I get Legacy or DishPro? I live 50 miles from Birmingham, AL and can barely get OTA locals. Do I need any other system to get locals? Is 110 and 119 all I need for now? Also what's the difference between a yellow card and a blue card? I don't plan on hacking but I would like to get any legal advantage I can.
Suggestions are welcome.
TIA, Dana :confused:

If you are in the Birmingham or Huntsville TV market (see the link http://ekb.dbstalk.com/TVMarkets/Maps/alabama[1].gif), then a Dish 500 (110°/119°) are all you need if you want your locals with the "almost everything pack". If you live outside these areas, you may need a "SuperDISH" to get locals if they are available in your area. Follow this link for detailed locals info. however there are a few minor "PI" channels you will not get if you don't get a dish pointed at 61.5°. See the link HERE.
To see all the channels available (and some that aren't yet) on Dish go to www.dishchannelchart.com

As to the legacy v Dish Pro, I see no reason not to go with Dish Pro if you are getting new equipment.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

See ya
Tony

PI = FCC mandated Public Interest Channels. The FCC has ruled that Dish and DirecTV must set asside 4% of their available DBS bandwidth (on Dish 121° and 105° are exempt because they are FSS not DBS frequencies) for non-profit public service channels. The gem in the mix at 61.5° IMHO is Classic Arts Showcase.

DMA = Designated Marketing Area. This is Nielsen Media Research company's boundaries for TV Markets. The boundaries are accepted even in Federal Statute since the SHVIA (Satellite Home Viewers Improvement Act) incorporate the Nielsen definitions into the law.

See ya
Tony