New H20 Reciever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipper2001

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 19, 2004
106
0
South Florida
I purchased a H20 back in December when they first came out from Best Buy, mine was a (600) from LG I believe. It worked perfectly till the last update that came down the line in Feb 22. I spoke to people from tech support and shipped me a new one yday. This one is manufactured March 2006 and resembles the R15 DVR moreso than the original H20. This one is much bigger, taller and wider, my original was more like a HEAVY rectangle and this one more squared.

First thing I noticed after using it, it's not hot at all like the original H20 after being on for 5-6 hours (lots of basketball last night). I did ask tech support about the fonts, they arent as crisp as my older H20. The menus arent in the same font nor is the heading of each program. Now this might be because it needs to take an update (when i was in sysinfo, it didnt show any version number at all). Im not home now but I will see what happs. So far the (600) was much sharper picture but after the Fw update we will see.

PS. The technical reason for the switch was because after the Feb 22 update the unit would just reboot by itself when watching a station after X hours. I didnt think it was a problem with my equipment but more a firmware issue but they wanted to send me this one.

Anyone else notice this or is even aware of a new H20?
 

kentuck1163

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 8, 2006
71
0
I traded in an H20-600 for an H20-100 and I, too, noticed a difference in the fonts on the menus. They were more detailed-looking (crisper) on the 600. However, that may very well be why the menus and guide are so much faster on the 100.

As far as picture quality is concerned, I think the 100 looks just as good as the 600.
 

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006
855
0
Directv is sending out more and more refurbished 600s to replace 600s unfortunately, compared to a few weeks ago.
 

flipper2001

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 19, 2004
106
0
South Florida
kentuck1163 said:
I traded in an H20-600 for an H20-100 and I, too, noticed a difference in the fonts on the menus. They were more detailed-looking (crisper) on the 600. However, that may very well be why the menus and guide are so much faster on the 100.

As far as picture quality is concerned, I think the 100 looks just as good as the 600.


Well tried it today when i got home. No update. Apparently they shipped this the latest code and no fixes to date.

HOWEVER, one big problem. never had this with the 600, but there is major lip sync issues on all HD stations. I called and complained and they said the engineers are looking into it and several people have reported this so we shall see what happens.

Also, you guys notice the "popping sound" when changing the stations right as it displays the new channels picture. I'm using HDMI cable (same as 600).
 

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 14, 2005
469
0
Motown
flipper2001 said:
Well tried it today when i got home. No update. Apparently they shipped this the latest code and no fixes to date.

HOWEVER, one big problem. never had this with the 600, but there is major lip sync issues on all HD stations. I called and complained and they said the engineers are looking into it and several people have reported this so we shall see what happens.

Also, you guys notice the "popping sound" when changing the stations right as it displays the new channels picture. I'm using HDMI cable (same as 600).

Lip sync issues seem to be part of the growing pains of the MPEG4 channels (HD locals). I don't think the H20-600 or H20-100 is the problem. Well, it could be, but it seems to occur on both receivers.

As for 600 vs. 100, many are saying the 100 is faster, menu-wise, but has an inferior OTA tuner.
 

flipper2001

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 19, 2004
106
0
South Florida
Proc said:
Lip sync issues seem to be part of the growing pains of the MPEG4 channels (HD locals). I don't think the H20-600 or H20-100 is the problem. Well, it could be, but it seems to occur on both receivers.

As for 600 vs. 100, many are saying the 100 is faster, menu-wise, but has an inferior OTA tuner.

I'm still on mpeg2, im in south florida. so that isnt the issue.
 

kentuck1163

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 8, 2006
71
0
I do notice a popping sound on my H20-100 -- particularly on the XM-radio channels when I change from one to another. The H20-600 didn't do this.

I noticed lip sync problems occasionally on both the 100 and the 600.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top