New HD Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NVBlue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Northern NV
I just received this email from Tivo. Now you can get an HD Tivo and connect it to a D* receiver and avoid the HR20, which is getting crappy reviews on this site.

TiVo Subscriber Newsletter | Volume 91

Letter from the Editor
I promised a "defining" moment last newsletter and that moment has arrived: The TiVo® Series3™ HD Digital Media Recorder is here! Welcome to High Definition Heaven...

You can read more of the exciting details on this incredible box below, but first, as a TiVo subscriber who currently owns a TiVo box with Product Lifetime service, we want to thank you for your loyalty with a very special offer--an exception to a rule when you buy the NEW TiVo Series3 HD box. For a limited time, transfer your Product Lifetime service from a Series1 or Series2 box to the new Series3 HD for only $199. As an added bonus, we'll keep TiVo service activated on your old box for another 12 months for no additional charge.

I'm fairly certain you realize Product Lifetime service is no longer a payment option for new TiVo service activations, so let's be very clear: This truly is VIP pricing for VIP customers--a one-time Upgrade Offer for our most loyal subscribers. And only our most loyal subscribers. This is huge. I'd do it if I were you.

Read on, watch the Showcase video ready-and-waiting on TiVo Central, and get ready to rock your home theater with the highest qualty, high-definition entertainment experience possible. Only with TiVo.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go shopping: It's finally time to get myself an HD television!

Series3ly yours,
Shanan

P.S. It's a limited first run, so hurry—snag one of your own before the holiday madness! There's been great (pent-up, is probably the word) demand for the TiVo Series3™ HD, so we want subscribers to have first dibs! And spread the word with friends by sending them this youtube.com link (Since it's a red-carpet announcement, I'm wearing exactly what I wore to the Emmy® awards...).
Table of Contents

Spotlight's on… TiVo Series3™ HD DVR

See CBS's "The Class" First with TiVo!

TiVo Rewards

Oh, Fantasy Football Fanatics…

Eureka! Find Great Entetainment with Colin Ferguson

Most-Recorded Shows

Need Help?

Fan Mail

Forward to a Friend

About This Newsletter

TiVo Hotlinks

Spotlight's on... TiVo Series3™ HD DVR
And I thought TiVo was beloved before. Now you can experience the true definition of HD with the very-top-of-the-line sound, highest-quality picture, and the Emmy® award-winning TiVo service all in one incredible box.
Up to 32 hrs HD programming storage (300 hours in standard definition)
Dual tuners so you can record 2 digital cable shows at once*
World's only DVR with THX® certification maintains all the detail found in the original broadcast, both in sound and picture
High-quality front panel display shows what's being recorded even when the TV is off
Backlit TiVo remote (see, we hear you!), easy to configure to your TV
World's quietest DVR (after all, silence is golden when it comes to theater)
Watch the TiVo Series3 HD Showcase video (look for the menu item with the TiVo logo on TiVo Central) to get the full picture.
* Also compatible with analog cable and over-the-air digital HD (ATSC).
2 CableCARD decoders required (available from your cable provider).

I don't think TiVo Series3 works with DBS. From their FAQ

Q: Does the Series3 HD DVR work with satellite programming?

A: No. Series3 HD box provides access to HD Digital Cable, analog cable and ATSC over-the-air signals. Satellite programming is not supported.

:eek: :confused: OOPS! Didn't get that far. The initial Tivo's allowed you to connect to the satellite box, but the pictures on the Tivo site does not show any connection from the satellite box.

I assume you are quoting an advertisement in your initial post. The purpose of any advertisement is to sell you. Up to you if you want to buy based soley on the info provided and assumptions concerning other equipment options.

Please direct us to the "crappy" reviews of the HR20-700 that you are aware of. We would all be curious to see them. Unless I've missed something I have only seen one person rant to any extent in these forums about the new receiver when compared to their TIVO 10-250.

The most extensive review to date of the HR-20 can be found at:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=61862

Last edited:
The only negative thing I've seen about the HR20's is the OTA being disabled. If the predictions are true, that will be fixed sometime in October. :flag:

I have two Tivo SD's, and I am expecting my second HR20 on Friday. I was an early adopter for Tivo, but I have to admit I really like this box. Even my Tivo buddies that refused to use the DTV DVR's, were impressed when we hung out on football Sunday. The majority of them have placed orders for an HR20.

The box is faster, provides you more control, and has some pretty cool features that I like. I have not played with HD yet, as I am getting the 5 LNB dish installed today. There seem to be features coming soon, such as Video on Demand, and the like. Hard to beat 50 hours of HD recording, and two HR20's for less than the price of one Tivo HD. Don't get me wrong, I love Tivo, but I am doing just fine with this box. It all really comes down to what is right for you. The early adopters usually have to deal with kinks and adapting to new interfaces, but I would have no other way. Apple proved a lot of my points yesterday when it comes to that electronics market segment, as I was an early adopter of the Intel Duo machines.

I own and use several TiVos, but some TiVotees are over-the-top when it comes to other DVRs believing they're unclean, unholy, and don't walk on water like TiVo does.

bidger` said:
I own and use several TiVos, but some TiVotees are over-the-top when it comes to other DVRs believing they're unclean, unholy, and don't walk on water like TiVo does.

It's that little stuffed TIVO guy that I have sitting on top of my HR10, just bums me out that the little dude is gonna have to go if I am not using a Tivo anymore:(

bidger` said:

I agree, but having tried the R15 and the SA8300HD, I can say they are hard to fairly compare to what Tivo has done for DVRs. There is an almost organic way that the Tivo behaves which makes people anthropomorphize it. I think Tivo is kind of like Macintosh in that way. In engenders a lot of loyalty and emotion.

That said, the HR10 is slow, and I cannot receive OTA HD channels with it, so I am considering giving the HR20 at try. I have really enjoyed watching HD, and do not want to give it up, so I am going to find the best solution available, which is unlikely to be Tivo. The S3 will be nice, I have no doubt, but SVD will make it obsolete soon enough.

Ted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)