New HDTV and Dish

Cynthia Blue

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Hi.. first post, just found these forums. I just bought myself a Vizio 42" Plasma HDTV last friday and love it. I've had Dish Network for years, so of course now I'd like to get HD for this new TV. I have an Antenna that I've been picking up the local stations with... and they are quite nice. However Dish has spoiled me and I still want to record and fast forward through commercials like my PVR.

So looking at price options and boy HD is pricey. Considered DirecTV even, but it seem they are even more expensive. $55 a month after their initial period, that's their basic package plus the $9.99 HD package. And from what I see Dish isn't much better, $50 a month including their HD channels. And I'd have to upgrade to their 622 box... I believe, which I'm still not sure has a cost or not. I don't quite understand their website. I believe it's a $199 lease... but is that a regular fee or a one time cost? We have a 500 box (I think) that we bought years ago.

Ideally what I'd like is to just keep getting my regular top 60 package through Dish, get the HD box from Dish (for low or no cost), and be able to pipe my local Antenna channels through Dish's box. I don't suppose that is possible? $30 a month is really the max I can afford for Satellite. $50 is just too much for my budget.

So, I'd love some advice. :) I'll be poking around these forums too to see what else I can find out.

Thanks!
Cynthia

At that price point, you would be ahead to keep what you have, and stick to OTA HD only. You won't get HD from any satellite provider for $30.

Well fact is that anyone with a HDTV should go with Dish due to they have more HD than anyone. So for your money you will have more HD content to watch with Dish than anyone else out there. Direct is behind on HD they plan on adding more locals in HD but that is about it. So overall if anyone want more HD Dish is the leader! :)

Yep, HD is pricey. It can be much more than buying a HDTV set, which more and more people are buying in the $400-$700 range.

If you must have DVR capabilities, and I can't blame you for wanting them, then the cost will be whatever the cost of the present 622 lease promotion, $100-$200 upfront. Then about $60/month for HD-Bronze & DvR fee on an 18 month commitment.

Over 18 months, your total cost would be around $1200, a bit more if you sub to your local channels.

If you went with the non-DVR 211, the cost would be in the $950-$1000 range.

Only cheaper option is going with Over The Air (OTA) HD channels, if you live close enough to your local HD stations to pick them up using an antenna. These are free.

Okay thanks for the info. From some other posts I've read... does Dish not offer Local stations in HD? So if you want those you have to get OTA anyway? If so... do they allow for the OTA reception to go through the 622 box for the PVR recording?

I wish Sci Fi was available through USDTV, 'cause then I just might get them for $20 a month. But no DVR either.. so I'd probably have to spring for one of those super expensive Tivos. :)

Also, Is the 622 upgrade a yearly fee or a one time fee?

Thanks Tom, I hit reply before I read your post. :) Didn't know HD programming would be so pricey. Hrpmh.. maybe it'll come down. :p

Hi.. first post, just found these forums. I just bought myself a Vizio 42" Plasma HDTV last friday and love it. I've had Dish Network for years, so of course now I'd like to get HD for this new TV. I have an Antenna that I've been picking up the local stations with... and they are quite nice. However Dish has spoiled me and I still want to record and fast forward through commercials like my PVR.

So looking at price options and boy HD is pricey. Considered DirecTV even, but it seem they are even more expensive. $55 a month after their initial period, that's their basic package plus the $9.99 HD package. And from what I see Dish isn't much better, $50 a month including their HD channels. And I'd have to upgrade to their 622 box... I believe, which I'm still not sure has a cost or not. I don't quite understand their website. I believe it's a $199 lease... but is that a regular fee or a one time cost? We have a 500 box (I think) that we bought years ago.

Ideally what I'd like is to just keep getting my regular top 60 package through Dish, get the HD box from Dish (for low or no cost), and be able to pipe my local Antenna channels through Dish's box. I don't suppose that is possible? $30 a month is really the max I can afford for Satellite. $50 is just too much for my budget.

So, I'd love some advice. :) I'll be poking around these forums too to see what else I can find out.

Thanks!
Cynthia

the HD BRONZE w/ 25 HD CH is the smallest pack and it is $50. It will start out as 30 per month for the 1st 10 months while you get the 20 per month rebate that pays you back for the 200 that you will have to put out to get the VIP622. So there is the starting point for HD. You will also get 3 months of HBO, Showtime and Starz ( that's to get you addicted to premium movie channels).

Okay thanks for the info. From some other posts I've read... does Dish not offer Local stations in HD? So if you want those you have to get OTA anyway? If so... do they allow for the OTA reception to go through the 622 box for the PVR recording?

Also, Is the 622 upgrade a yearly fee or a one time fee?

Dish does offer some locals in HD but it depends where you are located.

Yes, you can record OTA through the 622.

Yes, you can record OTA through the 622.

Hmm.. does that mean I could get the 622 without the HD Bronze Package, pay the montly fee for the 622 and the $200 without the rebate and be able to record my OTA local stations, and get the regular Standard package from Dish?

That is something I'd consider. :) I really don't much care for the Dish HD package anyway... didn't see any channels that I Must have HD... only one I want is Sci Fi and they don't broadcast in HD yet!

Hmm.. does that mean I could get the 622 without the HD Bronze Package, pay the montly fee for the 622 and the $200 without the rebate and be able to record my OTA local stations, and get the regular Standard package from Dish?

That is something I'd consider. :) I really don't much care for the Dish HD package anyway... didn't see any channels that I Must have HD... only one I want is Sci Fi and they don't broadcast in HD yet!

No. In order to get the 622 for the $199 down and the 10 $20 rebates you MUST sign up for the HD Bronze package for 18 months. (Dish has to recoup the actual price of the 622 which sells for $450-500 and make a little profit.)

If you wish to forego the HD Bronze package, you must buy the 622 from a retailer and there is still a $6 per month HD access fee plus the usual $5.98 DVR fee.

My bill with HD Bronze is about $60 per month with added on fees and taxes.

It was about $40 per month before I upgraded to the 622 and HD Bronze, so HD is about $20 per month.

No. In order to get the 622 for the $199 down and the 10 $20 rebates you MUST sign up for the HD Bronze package for 18 months. (Dish has to recoup the actual price of the 622 which sells for $450-500 and make a little profit.)

It was about $40 per month before I upgraded to the 622 and HD Bronze, so HD is about $20 per month.

Ah bummer. I understand, though. Yeah $20 more for HD is what it's looking like it'll cost me too, guess I need to ask the boss for a raise. ;)

Reading up on the Dish Network site, it is possible to buy the 622 receiver without the HD package.

However if you do so, they charge you a $6 a month 'HD Enable Fee'.
(Edit: That's in addition to the $6 equipment fee and the $5.98 Service fee.. gads they get you with all these stupid fees.)

And it doesn't look like, for existing customers, I'd be able to get the $20 per month for 10 months rebate if I upgrade to HD programming. If I were I'd do it and then downgrade back to the basic 60 at the end of the 10 months.

Edit again... so if I keep my standard package (regular 60), for $29.99 a month, plus the $6, $5.98, $6... that's be $47.97 per month which I could probably swing. That's not including the local channels for $5.99 a month since I'd get them OTA. My final questin is, can I record the local OTA channels on the 622 box and set timers?

Last edited:
I believe the rebate offer is good for current E* subs who have not sub'ed to DishHD in the past. I.e. you are a "new" HD subscriber.

In the past in order to avoid subbing to a HD package, you had to purchase the 622, not lease it. That would cost you around $499 upfront.

Then you could buy the AT60 w/o HD for $36/month, plus the equipment fees.

Vs leasing the 622 and getting HD-Bronze for $50/month, plus equipment fees.

So over 18 months, the price would be close to the same, except you would be missing out on 20+ HD channels by the 622 purchase route. And if you got the rebate on top of the lease deal, it would actually be cheaper to lease and sub to HD than to purchase and not sub. At least for about 2 years, then you would gain a slight advantage from the purchase and no-HD option.

Well, I have the best husband in the world. We worked it out and we're gonna get the HD Bronze package and the 622 box. And anyway, he's tired of watching the same shows I watch, so now he'll be able to watch his own with his own remote.

They are coming out Monday to install a new dish and the 622 box and get us set up. I'm excited!

Thanks everyone for your help. :) *happy dances*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)