New Hopper Owner- Need Help!!

KWarner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 3, 2009
St. Louis
Hey guys,

I got 2 hoppers yesterday and so far I love them. But, I am having a few issues and was hoping someone could provide some help. I have researched both issues and called Dish, tried all the fixes and thus far nothing has worked. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had previously transferred my recordings from my 722k to my EHD. EHD worked flawlessly on the 722. My new hopper will not find the EHD. I have unplugged EHD, rebooted hopper, tried leaving hopper off overnight and called Dish. CSR's were friendly, but less than helpful. One told me I couldn't hook up my EHD, the other said I didn't need a auth code. They sent one anyway, but still no luck, When I switch USB ports it recognizes I have "unplugged a multimedia device", but nothing when I plug back into USB. My software version ends in 330. I really need those recordings, it was gigs full of stuff that my wife wanted to keep when I sold her on getting the hopper.

Problem 2 is that my apps are not functional. They either say "please wait" and don't load or in the case of Sirius and Dish Music they display a very thin grey "scroll bar" on the bottom and right side of page similar to a web page where I could scroll up/down or right/left. Scrolling does not work and no app loads. The apps load perfectly and work great on hopper number 2 in the bedroom.

So far the hopper seems like an awesome machine and I am thrilled with it except for these issues. But, I really need these issues to be fixed, especially the hard drive.

Please help!

Thanks,

Tim

Don't know if you have HWS or regular Hopper, but on my Hopper, it takes longer than you might think (up to 3-5 minutes) for the EHD to be recognized, but all works well after that. I have read that HWS owners are having the same problem you are. I think Zach of DIRT said another update should be coming by Wednesday of next week to address that.

Good luck!

Apparently, with Dish you have to just wait and pray that your paid for services actually work. Can you imagine if you bought a new car and the radio didn't work and some of the lights wouldn't turn on and a few cylinders weren't firing? And the only response was "just wait a few days or weeks and it SHOULD work out maybe". That's what we have accepted as normal. I wonder if our payment was short a few dollars a month if that would make a difference. This is ridiculous. The boxes just DONT WORK PROPERLY. I wonder if Direct has similar problems. If I ran my business this way I'd be looking for a job. Just because some features are good doesn't mean we should have to wait and pray.

Apparently, with Dish you have to just wait and pray that your paid for services actually work. Can you imagine if you bought a new car and the radio didn't work and some of the lights wouldn't turn on and a few cylinders weren't firing? And the only response was "just wait a few days or weeks and it SHOULD work out maybe". That's what we have accepted as normal. I wonder if our payment was short a few dollars a month if that would make a difference. This is ridiculous. The boxes just DONT WORK PROPERLY. I wonder if Direct has similar problems. If I ran my business this way I'd be looking for a job. Just because some features are good doesn't mean we should have to wait and pray.

I may have had to wait a few hours or just the first day for all the features on my Hopper to work when I installed it but I was able to watch TV instantly and that's what I'm paying for. As long as you are able to watch TV right away I don't see an issue to wait for all the extra features to download and work.

You say that it's a joke to have to wait for the service to work? Have you ever bought any electronic device before? Many electronic devices require a firmware update as soon as you hook them up. When you fist buy a PS$ you have to downloaded the newest software before you can start and also have to install the games before you can play.

What the Hopper system offers overall outweighs the downfall of having to wait a day or two for full functionality. I'd rather be patient and have my Hopper than have some crappy cable system that worked instantly with few features.

It is a little frustrating to have to wait, but my overall first impressions of the Hopper are very positive. I talked to a guy at the "offical" hopper fourms named Ray who said both were known issues and would be fixed. He said the apps thing is being worked on and that a new software roll out will fix the EHD issue. He said the new software should roll out tomorrow.

My concern is more that they will be fixed as opposed to having to wait. There is a break in time with a lot of electronics. I just really don't want to lose the old recordings. There are entire seasons of shows on there.

Software should work before it's sent out. There are no excuses. It's poor business and they know we are all heavily invested too much to just change. That's one reason they don't use universal standards because they know we'd switch in a second if we could.

Heavily invested? You sign up for free, free activation, free installation and free equipment? If you're upgrading, chances are you got that for free also, maybe had to pay the tech. visit fee.

Now if I spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on something and it didn't work then I'd be more upset. Actually, I have spent more money on things and they haven't worked, luckily there are warranties.

The only thing I can say is that you must have never used a computer or other tech stuff before. Plugging in and getting updates over varying time frames is pretty much the norm these days.

Heavily invested? You sign up for free, free activation, free installation and free equipment? If you're upgrading, chances are you got that for free also, maybe had to pay the tech. visit fee.

Now if I spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on something and it didn't work then I'd be more upset. Actually, I have spent more money on things and they haven't worked, luckily there are warranties.

I haven't gotten anything free from dish. I've paid over 100 bucks a month for 15 or so years. There is nothing free in this world. I don't want anything free. I want what I have paid for and have been promised. If they don't want me using the apps just tell me up front and don't charge me for them. Why would anyone defend such shoddy performance? Beats me.

The parts you are upset about not working are not even services from DISH that you pay for.

Your TV is working fine and you are getting all the channels you are paying for.

Others without Hoppers are paying the same thing a month to get the same channels and they dont have apps.

Consider the other things extras... almost like Gravy. :D :D (And who doesn't like Gravy?!)

The parts you are upset about not working are not even services from DISH that you pay for.

Your TV is working fine and you are getting all the channels you are paying for.

Others without Hoppers are paying the same thing a month to get the same channels and they dont have apps.

Consider the other things extras... almost like Gravy. :D :D (And who doesn't like Gravy?!)

Why would I be happy to be getting sour gravy?

Why would I be happy to be getting sour gravy?

Seriously dude, are you getting your programming? Are you able to use the DVR? Are you getting HD on all your TVs? If all those features are working right away then you are getting what you pay for. What Scott said is exactly true, you are not paying for all those extra features. Those other features are like bonuses and all you have to do is wait a day or two for them to be fully functional. I really don't see the big deal that's why I suppose I'm defending Dish here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)