New install, 2 questions: will Existing RG6 work for 622 and/or standard receiver?

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
I am going to order Dish very soon and I'm trying to figure out how much wiring work will be needed. I want to get the new 622 tuner, and use the dual-tuner feature to record while watching a different channel live. My understanding is that this requires inputs to both of the tuners in the box.

I have 2 questions:

1. I have an existing RG6 cable run to my HD TV. The cable is labled "RG6/U", and also says "BROADBAND READY". Is there any way that I can tie the feed from my new Dish to this existing cable and operate my tuner as described above? Or will I have to run two cables from the Dish to my 622?

2. I want to have a 2nd feed to my bedroom, but don't require any special features (no HD, no DVR). Should I be able to tie the dish feed into this existing wiring and successfully operate a standard Dish receiver? (NOTE: I do not wish to feed this TV from the 622's 2nd TV output, since I might add another TV later to be fed from this output).

Thank you for any help!

This all depends on weather your area uses a Dish500 or a Superdish.

If it is a Dish500 area you can run the 622 with just one wire. You would then have another wire to your bedroom for the Standard receiver. The wire you have now should work just fine, and the dish will tire right into it.

Thanks for the response!

Based on what I'm reading, I should get a Dish 1000 (I live in Central Ohio).

Will I still be able to get away with running one wire to my 622 and use a separator with this Dish? Will I need to use some add'l hardware to make this work?

You only need one wire as long as your installer uses dish pro plus switch or lnbf (superdish or 500 or 1000 or whatever). Since you will probably get a 1000, it does have dish pro plus lnbfs so you will be good to go. The 1000 can support 2 single tuner or two dua tuner receviers by itself, more if connected to a dpp 44 switch. It uses a dish pro plus twin (119 and 110) and a dp dual (129). The twin has 2 outputs and one input for the 129 lnb. one of the two outputs will go to your 622 and one for another receiver. One cable can come into the room from the lnbf and will be split sort of using a dish pro plus seperator. If you wanted to run tuner 2 to another room it could even be backfed along the same cable with a set of diplexors. So one cable will do it to the 622.

hokiecb said:
You only need one wire as long as your installer uses dish pro plus switch or lnbf (superdish or 500 or 1000 or whatever). Since you will probably get a 1000, it does have dish pro plus lnbfs so you will be good to go. The 1000 can support 2 single tuner or two dua tuner receviers by itself, more if connected to a dpp 44 switch. It uses a dish pro plus twin (119 and 110) and a dp dual (129). The twin has 2 outputs and one input for the 129 lnb. one of the two outputs will go to your 622 and one for another receiver. One cable can come into the room from the lnbf and will be split sort of using a dish pro plus seperator. If you wanted to run tuner 2 to another room it could even be backfed along the same cable with a set of diplexors. So one cable will do it to the 622.

Thanks for the info! Based on this and what I've read in some other posts, I'm pretty confident I'm good to go. I just got off the phone with the CSR to place my order, and she thought I'd be just fine too, although I don't know if that makes me feel better :rolleyes:

I guess my hours and hours of research here and on DBSTalk can be ended now that I've gone ahead and taken the plunge with my order! Bye bye Adelphia cable and your lack of HD & DVR, snowy picture, and no hope for upgrades anytime soon (In my area anyway) :)

Note that SOME "RG-6/U" is NOT DishPro (2150MHz) compatible. If you see markings on the cable indicating 2150MHz or greater (or 2.2GHz or more), you should be OK. Otherwise, it's a maybe.

Note also that EACH feed from dish to receiver must be "clean". That is, no splitters - just a straight run. Proper connectors are OK, but splices are NOT - anybody that knows how to do the splice correctly wouldn't bother - they'd just use two F-conns and a barrel connector. ;)

Using old wire is always an "iffy" thing.

YOU won't need additional equipment , *IF* you are having a professional installation then it will all be done FOR you

SimpleSimon said:
Note that SOME "RG-6/U" is NOT DishPro (2150MHz) compatible. If you see markings on the cable indicating 2150MHz or greater (or 2.2GHz or more), you should be OK. Otherwise, it's a maybe.

The wire is marked "022005" - I assume that means 2.2 GHz?

SimpleSimon said:
Note also that EACH feed from dish to receiver must be "clean". That is, no splitters - just a straight run. Proper connectors are OK, but splices are NOT - anybody that knows how to do the splice correctly wouldn't bother - they'd just use two F-conns and a barrel connector. ;)

I do have a direct feed from just outside my basement wall to the TV. I assume the installer will run wire from the dish to this point and tap into this single RG6 feed to the basement. At the same point, there is another feed that goes up to the bedroom around the outside of the house. That one may not be good RG6, but the bedroom is only getting a standard receiver - no HD or DVR, so does that make it easier to deal with lower quality wire? If I do have to re-run new cable, I think the installer should be able to do it because it's a simple run around the house and through an existing hole in the wall. The one to the basement would require me to tear out crown molding and drywall - yuck.

Thanks for your response!

No, I don't think "022005" means 2.2GHz. It's more likely the manufacture date (Feb. 2005 or Feb. 20, '05). If I'm right, cable that new should be just fine.

HD & DVR have nothing to do with the type of cable needed. ALL variants of DishPro gear use 950-2150MHz. Doesn't matter, though because you're right - let the installer worry about that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts