New Install: Phone not connected!

AlaskanPrincess

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Sunny Southwest
!sadroll!sadroll:confused:I"ll skip the lengthy list of all the problems experienced w/order/install...but, installer/s left about 7:30 last nite - a rushed sign here, here, here...showed me quickly how to turn TV on/off, response that I need to use DVD/VCR (not Dish) remote to operate it and off they went.
3:00 a.m. the system tried to receive updated programming - and I kept getting error messages. I went into phone system set-up and it says "connection mode: not connected."
Clearly, I need to call owner - this is just one of the issues - am I correct that if this problem isn't resolved quickly I'll not have a progam guide within a day or so? And that Dish will charge me $5/month/TV for them not being connected to phone lines?
Is there anything special that has to be done when phone line also provides DSL service??
I was so looking forward to being a Dish customer again - I'm about ready to go back to DirecTV....

I have DSL too connected the phone line to my 722..
U have to connect the filter to the jack first or choice like me use 3 way extensions if u use one line for ur phone also and make sure u connect the phone to phone and dsl to dsl wire from ur filter .. and one to ur BOX should works I done mine months ago works great ,if u dont works then something wrong with ur wall jack or ur fliter or might phone wire!

Last edited:
I pretty sure the phone not connected has nothing to do with updates if your box is connected to the internet. My box (722k) is not connected to the phone, but it is connected to the internet and I've not had any problems or error messages.

However, if you don't have phone or internet connected to the receiver you will get the annoying "nag" popup every day. And yes, you will be charged an additional $5 per month.

If they were rushing you and there were problems, why did you sign the contract? You need to call whomever did the install and have them come back and fix the things that are wrong and explain every thing to you. Never sign the contract until you are satisfied with the install.
And like everyone else has said, you phone line has nothing to do with the updates, they come from the satellite

If you only have one receiver, it does not have to be connected to the phone line or even to ethernet.

Dish dropped the phone line requirement on the first dual tuner receiver last February.

And as others have said, updates come in through the satellite, not phone or ethernet.

Ah, I signed the contract (altho' I did note 'not complete') and signed in both places, with notes. Why? Because installer (owner) told me that DISH wouldn't send the M2 OTA module until service and account established. (I'd asked when ordering if module was needed and told no....)
Install completed about 7:30 p.m. 12/2; 12/3 3 am system tried to 'configure' - error messages, unable to complete. Woke up this am - no DISH on TV2. Turned on TV1, again, got the configuration pop-up (on TV1), error messages, can't complete.
Jim - receiver is 222k and I was told IF not connected to phone line, $5/month charge (per TV?)
and without phone line, can't order PPV?
"DISH charges for each additional TV for $5(SD) or $7(HD) per month. However you have the chance to save the 2nd and 4th TV charges. If you order a dual tuner receiver for two rooms, please connect your receiver to your phone line. Dish Network will waive your second room charges. If you do not connect the receiver to the phone line, you will be charged $5 per month. To save $5 per month, please connect the phone line. Why? Because Dish Network wants to sell more “Pay Per View” programs. The PPV orders go through phone line. If you do not connect your phone line, they can never get any PPV orders from your remote controls. They waive your $5 monthly charge to treat your phone line connection. You cannot save the additional receiver fee. For example: You order a 722 and a 222 receiver for 4 TVs. If you connect your phone line to both receivers, you can save $5 for the 2nd TV and $5 for the 4th TV. However you still have to pay $7 per month for the second receiver fee (3rd TV)." (Source: GWDish, online retailer.)
Yes, I'm working on list of problems to contact installer and Dish. For this post, I'm sticking w/just issue of phone lines.

More then likely you got a bogus receiver. The phone line/Ethernet connection has nothing to do with updates (those all come from the satellites). Phone line/Ethernet connection makes it easier to order PPV, and to access some of the features of the Dish Home Interactive. A dual tuner non DVR (and a DVR not on DVR Advantage IE a 2nd DVR in a 4 room system, a DVR in an area that doesn't get locals, or on a account not subscribing to a qualifying channel package.) not connected will cost you and extra $5 a month.
First thing I would do is run a switch test (check switch). Then once it's done just press the "view live tv" button. The receiver should go through the progress screen, and then download the guide. To test the phone connection first look at the back of the receiver to even see if there is a phone line connected. Then use the "Diagnostics" to run a phone test. If the test fails then more than likely the phone jack is no good (you can also check it with a phone). If the phone line tests good then use the "send status" to update Dish. One thing to remember is that if there isn't a phone jack close to the receivers location the tech isn't going to be able to connect it. If having it connected is a big deal for you then you will need to have the phone co install a phone jack, or buy a wireless phone jack.

It is sad that here in LA it seems the only installers who will connect your boxes to the telephone line at no additional cost and do so that it looks unnoticeable, are Dish company installers. I'm sure there may be a few retailers in our area who do this, but as a rule they never bother to do so. Again, Dish company installers greatly trump just about any of our local retailers here in Los Angeles. I have the latest bad local retailer story, but I won't get into it here. Let's just say that just when you think they have gone about as low as they can, they find new ways to go lower. I know you fine local retailers in more civilized parts of America are probably good guys, but the majority here are NOT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts