New Install yesterday and have questions

jimmanhattan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Manhattan, IL
I had a 2h/3j installed yesterday software version 209/261 and really like the system, it's lightening fast! Puts my now former Directv HR22 receiver to shame.
I am confused about the tuners.
1 hopper is installed at the main tv(living room) and has 1 joey(bedroom) linked to it, the other hopper on the basement tv(rarely watched) has 2 joeys(other 2 bedrooms) linked to it.
Now, when i turn on the main tv (living room hopper) and push the red button on the remote it shows 2 tuners being used (example: Bio watching Living Room 1 and Access Hollywood watching Living Room 1). and shows 3rd tuner available. At the moment there is only 1 tv currently on in the entire house and no recordings are going on. Shouldn't it show what channel i am currently tuned to (example: Bio watching Living Room 1) and show 2 tuners available?
Same thing happens with the basement hopper.

Thanks
Jim

You can't disable it but if you are watching something and 2 scheduled recordings kick off one of the recordings will take the PIP tuner and record like it should. If you are watching 1 show on the hopper and recording 1 show turning on one of the joeys would also take the PIP tuner and get live tv. There is no way to turn it off manually but it shouldn't cause any conflicts unless you are actually trying to use PIP.

If you use the remote access apps they will also take over a tuner - usually the PIP tuner. You can free a tuner by using a Joey for the PIP one (the one you are not watching in Living Room 1) and then turning the Joey off. For my 1H/1J set up that will make the other Living Room 1 tuner go to available.

This is kind of a glitch in the design, I believe. The second PIP tuner is used even if PIP is not actively being watched. I believe it allows you to go back into the buffer when you start watching the PIP channel and this is an advantage, but it does cause people confusion until the user figures it all out.

This is kind of a glitch in the design, I believe. The second PIP tuner is used even if PIP is not actively being watched. I believe it allows you to go back into the buffer when you start watching the PIP channel and this is an advantage, but it does cause people confusion until the user figures it all out.

It is kind of weird that they made it so PIP is always on even though most people rarely if ever use it. There really is no actual downside that I am aware of besides it looking like a tuner isn't available though. In reality that tuner is available for a recording or a joey when they turn on. I can see how it would look confusing to people until they realize it doesn't actually mean anything and that tuner is in face available. It confused me at first too.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.
Have another question.

Being that i have ethernet access at each hopper location but not at the joey locations, the installer said there was no need to install the HIC (I thought having a HIC connected to the system would have been better) and direct connected both hoppers with ethernet and said all joeys will be able to connect to the internet.
So i tested that today useing one of the joeys by downloading a free movie in sd from BB. It did work but really put a chokehold on my internet connection(need a quicker provider).

Now i discovered the Home Media feature won't work from the joeys without having a HIC or a direct connection to the joeys.
The installer didn't leave a HIC with me, should i call and ask for one?

Also, from any joey when i press Menu, My Account, View your statements i receive a error - EA401 Unable to connect to server, please try again later. I can access my account from both hoppers though.
So just wondering that maybe joeys cannot access the My Account feature?

Now i discovered the Home Media feature won't work from the joeys without having a HIC or a direct connection to the joeys.
The installer didn't leave a HIC with me, should i call and ask for one?

The installer only needs to get the hoppers connected for ondemand. Since they were able to direct connect both hoppers, the installer was exactly right in not using the HIC since hardwiring both is the preferred OnDemand connection.

Home Media/DLNA is a whole separate beast and that's pretty much on the customer to get working.

In my case, i only had ethernet access at one joey location for my 2H/2J system. So the tech was pretty much forced to use a HIC with passthrough at the Joey. If you wanted the HIC during install, you might have found a way to either change up your equipment placement or change up your network in a way that would have required it. ;)

you can see the full discussion here.... has a few relevant posts: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-...-network-connectivity-hopper-joey-system.html

Last edited:
The installer only needs to get you connected for ondemand. Since they were able to direct connect both hoppers, the installer was exactly right in not using the HIC since hardwiring both is the preferred OnDemand connection.

Home Media/DLNA is a whole separate beast and that's pretty much on the customer to get working.

In my case, i only had ethernet access at one joey location for my 2H/2J system. So the tech was pretty much forced to use a HIC with passthrough at the Joey. If you wanted the HIC during install, you might have found a way to either change up your equipment placement or change up your network in a way that would have required it. ;)

you can see the full discussion here.... has a few relevant posts: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-...-network-connectivity-hopper-joey-system.html

So i guess i should have placed the joey at the main tv (ethernet access), the hopper in one of the bedrooms and not mentioned ethernet access in the basement.

If you really need Home Media you can get a Tap and place the HIC at the Hopper location.

To be honest, it's not a big deal. I just thought it would have been included and would have been interesting to use. I imagine i would have to pay for it now, i would install it myself though. I have extra RG6 cable.
All in all so far i'm very pleased and happy with the hopper. Have some learning ahead of me as there are a lot of features to this system. Hope i don't encounter any problems over the next few weeks.
Thanks for the help, you probably haven't seen the last of me though:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts