New installation signal/cable issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

new_inst

Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I recently installed a new satellite system. It has a 1000.2 antenna and a 411 receiver. I am currently not using any HD channels on this system. I mounted the antenna and got the system aimed such that I got a signal of 97 on the 119 sat. This was with a short RG-6 (about 6 feet). Everything worked and the receiver activated fine. When I tried to move on to the final install situation with a longer (25 foot) RG-6 cable, there was no signal at all. When I switch back to the short cable it works again. When I use a completely different 25 foot cable still doesn't work. When I use a 12 foot cable it doesn't work. When I go back to the 6 foot cable it works again.

Any advice is much apreciated.

Thanks

Are the stingers (center conductor) too short? Is there continuity between the center conductor and outer shield braid?

Did you run check switch with the 6ft coax, you get 119/110/129? Did you do the same with the 12'/25' piece of coax?

Much Thanks/Problem solved

You nailed it. I used one of those little plastic coax strippers. I had already identified that the stingers might be too short, so when I went back to make them longer the stripper had wrapped some of the braided shield around the stinger on both ends. Once this was removed, I no longer had continuity on the meter and it works like a charm.

I know this is probably a very simple basic "rookie" mistake, but it cost this rookie a lot of time and frustration. I sure apreciate you taking the time to reply to such a basic problem. It sure made a big difference for me.

Much Thanks

I routinely check cables for shorts and bad continuity. Saves a lot of headaches later. Bad shield-connections are common. They often go unnoticed on a TV set because capacitance provides some RF-grounding- but on a satellite installation having a good low-resistant shield-connection is vital because the cable also supplys the DC-voltage to power the downconverter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts