New L3.65 pause bug and work-around

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
I read about this new bug here in another thread and verified it on my 622.

Bug: If you pause live TV, wait a while, then press pause again it will take you to live TV! Not where you left off.

Work-around: While paused, press the "Skip Back" button. (This goes backwards only one frame). Then when you un-pause it will continue where you left off. Once you have pressed "Skip back", you will not need to press it again unless you catch up to live TV.

Yesterday (Thursday) proved to be a very bad day for my 622. I woke up to the message "Your hard drive is corrupt" and the only option to "Delete All". Then I found out about this new pause bug.

Is this pause "bug" intended to be DN's workaround for the TiVo patent infringement? Or is it unintended? If the latter, how could it have not been noticed in testing?

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with Tivo.. Anyway if you have this issue make sure you have power down the receiver. Then unplug it for about 2-3 minutes then plug it back in see if you still have the issue.

brettbolt said:
Is this pause "bug" intended to be DN's workaround for the TiVo patent infringement? Or is it unintended? If the latter, how could it have not been noticed in testing?

That is because we are having privilege to pay money to be testers for them.:hatsoff:

Well its that way with alot of things your not going to know how things will run for sure untill its in the real world.. Not every thing will run the same it would be nice if it did but it does not.

This better not be removal of the DVR functionality to meet the requirements of the TIVO lawsuit. GRRRRRR

This is NOT a workable fix if it is, as the pause functionality is an important DVR function.

As a report on THIS workaround, I am happy to report it works for me. If I pause live tv and then leave it no-matter how long, it will skip to live tv when I stop the pause. However if I hit skip back, then the pause functionality will work fine.

I have also completed a hard reboot (unplugged) and it still doesn't fix the problem.

Problem with my workaround

Unfortunately, I discovered a problem with the workaround I proposed last night.

The first time I un-pause (after pressing skip back one frame), it does not return me to the exact point I left off. Rather, its off by several seconds (but better than going back to live TV). However, subsequent usages of pause / un-pause work as expected. But if you ever catch up to live TV, you will have to press skip back after pausing.

It might make it easier to think of it this way: Catching up to live TV causes a "bad thing" to happen inside the 622. Pressing "skip back" makes the "bad thing" go away. Once its gone, you don't need to use skip back unless you want to.

If I pause my 622 and it will freeze up about 2 frames back of where I pressed pause. Then I can push pause again and it takes off right where I left off.
This is new with the new update as the old pause was right where you left it.
One thing I do not like is on the old dvrs you could have the show you were watching back to a point about an hour old, press record and it would record from that spot until you stoped it. I used it allot for movies I started watch ing after they started and was able to get the recording for the stop point.
Now the 622 does not care how far back you go, where ever you are live is where the recording starts and not at the back point.

We pause for anywhere from 10 seconds to minutes or more quite often. I know 3.65 has only been a day or two but we haven't seen this issue.... I even saw someone say it was "pause for a very, very short time, like 1-2 seconds, then play" and it happens. Well, I tried that too, repeatedly, and I never got kicked out to live TV.

hall said:
We pause for anywhere from 10 seconds to minutes or more quite often. I know 3.65 has only been a day or two but we haven't seen this issue.... I even saw someone say it was "pause for a very, very short time, like 1-2 seconds, then play" and it happens. Well, I tried that too, repeatedly, and I never got kicked out to live TV.

Hall, Not every 622 is getting the bug; it seems like the 363 problems - some machines get it, some do not. When it happens, it only occurs with live tv, and not dvr's programs. For awhile I thought it was only impacting HD feeds and not SD feeds, but I have come to the conclusion that this bug also comes and goes. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I do not.

dude2 said:
Now the 622 does not care how far back you go, where ever you are live is where the recording starts and not at the back point.

I do not get that issue. I can back up and record to the current and I use that a LOT.
I get the PAUSE to LIVE on the 622 but I do not get that bug
I even did a PAUSE and didn't do the back skip trick and it recorded from where I paused.

Seems we have a miriad of bugs here on the same receiver, ugh..

Hope they fix this soon but I can work around it plus lately I record everythingI want to watch just so I can skip commercials :)

Tiger

Can You Modulate HDTV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)