New member needs help please.

Chazno

Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
As of saturday I will be a Dish Network customer and I had some questions, and my local retailer wasn't very helpful.

Summary of my Situation:
Free Install on Saturday, Top 60 package, Receiver: DVR-625, KC Metro Area
My current tv is a 27", but I plan on purchasing a Bigscreen HDTV around christmas.

My questions:

With my holiday purchase, I planned on upgrading my service to include HD. I figured DN would give me a HD receiver at that time.(like cable does) My retailer said they would make me wait a year and then charge me around $100 to get the 811 receiver..so I should get the 811 now for free and just pay the monthly fee for nothing until i get the HDTV... Is this true? If so why would they want me not to increase my service asap?

If I do end up being able to upgrade, will I need a different dish to get HD channels (retailer stated I wouldn't, but I didnt get the dish # from her), what about VoomHD?

Is there anything I should know that you wished you knew before you were installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys... If your current set has s-video or even composite(Rca jack) video inputs you can get the 811 and watch downrezzed HD. You could probably get OTA digital Hd stations also...You would need another dish for 61.5 where the Voom channels are...

The installer was right. Get everything you need at the time of order or else you'll be screwed!!! Dish is not like cable...

Ok yes you want to order the equipment now if you want it.

The thing is do you want DVR? If so you are going to want the 942 dual tuner HD DVR. This will cost you $250.00 up front. The 811 is not a DVR, it's just HD.

If you get the 625 and the 811 now. You will pay an extra $15.00 a month. $5.00 for the extra receiver and $10.00 for the HD package.

So how many TV's do you really want to run? Do you want DVR?

If I was you I would wait to have my Dish Network System installed when you get your new TV in December for 2 reasons. 1 You won't be paying for services your not using till then. 2 Dish Network is changing there HDTV signal to mpeg 4 the receivers they put in now will not convert that signal and will have to be switched out this is supposed to take place at the being of 2006. I just saw on our chat that there suppose to show new receivers on the next chat. So your best bet is to wait a couple of months.

Also the voom channels are moving to Dish 1000 at the 129 location as of September 27, 2005 so I would put off your install until they can install a Dish 1000 on your house instead of having 2 dishes 1 Dish 500 at (110/119) and 18" dish at (61.5 for Voom). The Dish 1000 will look at 110/119 and 129 for Voom this takes effect in 12 days. Also I don't know about your locals but some of may be moved to 129 if the are at 61.5 Just like they are doing in my market on the September 27.

Thanks for the responses!

I will only have 2 TVs at any time(even after christmas). Which is why I initally wanted the 625. The 811 was going to be an add-on to the 625.

Question about the 625: Is the DVR feature accessable from both TVs?

I assumed the above answer was yes and was just going to switch back and forth between the 625 and 811 for HD or DVR. I'd pay $5 a month for the extra receiver, but would get the HD package free for 6 months. The 942 would be ideal for me but i don't want to pay the $250 with mpeg 4 coming up.

Guess I'll have to think on it a bit. Maybe give one more call to time warner's retention department, see what they say when i drop roadrunner. Maybe they'll give me a good enough deal to stay thru Dec.

Thanks again for the help

If you will have only 2 TVs, one of them will be HDTV, then get HD DVR 942, you can watch two different channels on your Tvs at the same time. Note, that only TV1 can be HD, TV2 will output SD signal.
They will ask you $250 for setup. I find it very worth it (for myself, your situation may differ).

Chazno,

Even doing what you are thinking of will cost you more than $5.00 a month.

625 DVR - free as first receiver 5.00 for DVR - Basic 60 with locals = 31.99 + 5.00
811 - 5.00 as second receiver $10.00 for HD = 15.00
Thats a total of 51.99 a month.

942 - Free as only receiver - Basic 60 with locals + HD package = 41.99

So in two years you make up the difference in price for the 942 in monthly fees. But you would not have the ability to DVR HD in your setup. More than likely when MPEG4 hits people with the 942 are not gonna get wacked much for a new receiver.

I'm assuming theres 4.99 dvr fee on the 942 as well which would make it 4 years. If not, thats a cool bonus there.

$250 is alot of money for something you'll never own. I'd rather put that money towards a HTPC that I can upgrade along with the technology.

Dave nye said:
942 - Free as only receiver - Basic 60 with locals + HD package = 41.99

You didn't mention that The 942 does carry the $4.98 Dvr fee like the others (waived on a monthly basis with the America's everything pack). Also, it is required to be connected to a phone like all dual tuners or the $4.99 additional access fee is charged on a monthly basis.