New superfan small print

Status
Please reply by conversation.
B

bigpro

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 18, 2005
98
0
Look at the new offer for NFLST and SF. At the bottom, in small print, it now says that to access sf that a phone line is REQUIRED (and yes, it is all capitalized like that).
What do you make of that? That's definitely new. I'm one of those nerds that habitually reads all small print I find.
 
VIPERS-PIT

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Feb 11, 2006
2,099
0
But it is not. Nothing D* offeres requires a phone line.
 
C

Chuck W

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 31, 2004
112
4
VIPERS-PIT said:
But it is not. Nothing D* offeres requires a phone line.


PPV does, after a while. I've had my ability to buy PPV movies turned off, after a while, because my receiver wasn't phoning home. When I called about it, they made me run the test, so they could hear the click of the receiver trying to dial, before they would turn tha PPV purchasing ability back on.
 
charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
18,442
6
I'm Nationwide
I think he means that even though without a phone line the card will fill up and evetually shut PPV ordering off, without the phone line you can still order PPV via the website and ALL TVs will have the same PPV turned on and then the cards will never fill up and no phone line needed. (be sure to use parental controls pswds on kids boxes)
 
C

Chuck W

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 31, 2004
112
4
charper1 said:
I think he means that even though without a phone line the card will fill up and evetually shut PPV ordering off, without the phone line you can still order PPV via the website and ALL TVs will have the same PPV turned on and then the cards will never fill up and no phone line needed. (be sure to use parental controls pswds on kids boxes)

Actually mine was shut off, even tho I had no outstanding PPV orders(I hadn't ordered PPV in quite some time, up till then).

As for the website, I forgot that you could do that, so yea, you can get around the phoneline, even for that.
 
lou_do

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2005
957
0
Central Maine
bigpro said:
Look at the new offer for NFLST and SF. At the bottom, in small print, it now says that to access sf that a phone line is REQUIRED (and yes, it is all capitalized like that).
What do you make of that? That's definitely new. I'm one of those nerds that habitually reads all small print I find.

I think what that means is that if you have ST or any sports package, you will only receive it on your Primary receiver, unless you have phone lines connected to your other receivers. I have the Center Ice package nd it would not mirror to my second receiver, until I ran a phone line to it. After I installed the phone line to the Secondary receiver, I got CI on both TVs.
 
charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
18,442
6
I'm Nationwide
lou_do said:
I think what that means is that if you have ST or any sports package, you will only receive it on your Primary receiver, unless you have phone lines connected to your other receivers. I have the Center Ice package nd it would not mirror to my second receiver, until I ran a phone line to it. After I installed the phone line to the Secondary receiver, I got CI on both TVs.

Well since DirecTV has had NFL ST I have only had a phone line on 1 receiver and the other 4 have always received the package and have never been shut down. I have been a sub since 95 or 96 and never defaulted on my bill.
 
lou_do

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2005
957
0
Central Maine
charper1 said:
Well since DirecTV has had NFL ST I have only had a phone line on 1 receiver and the other 4 have always received the package and have never been shut down. I have been a sub since 95 or 96 and never defaulted on my bill.

chapter1, here is where D* states that on their ST renewal information. It is in the small print on the bottom center of the page.
http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1100028

I know I only had it one one receiver till I added the phone line to the second one.
 
Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
65,960
5,353
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
charper1 said:
Well since DirecTV has had NFL ST I have only had a phone line on 1 receiver and the other 4 have always received the package and have never been shut down. I have been a sub since 95 or 96 and never defaulted on my bill.

I think they are more concerned that at least one is hooked up for the sports packages.

I have my main receiver hooked up but not my bedroom, I still get my ST.

PPV is a different situation,
When you order a PPV thru your remote, the info is written to your access card, this is why the phone is nessasary, the receiver calls in every so often, maybe once a night or a week or something to that affect, at that time the access card is read and the PPV added to your bill.

If you order from Online, they already have access to your records and are bill at that time.

So if you ordered PPV with your remote and did not have the phone plugged in, after the receiver tried to phone home a few times ... after you have ordered a set number of movies or events you will then get a ext. # on your screen when you go to the PPV channels and you will also have to call in before they will allow you to order with your remote.

btw, you can fill up the card. The amount of orders allowed is pre determined by D*

Jimbo
 
Last edited:
charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
18,442
6
I'm Nationwide
charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
18,442
6
I'm Nationwide
Jimbos said:
I think they are more concerned that at least one is hooked up for the sports packages.

I have my main receiver hooked up but not my bedroom, I still get my ST.

PPV is a different situation,
When you order a PPV thru your remote, the info is written to your access card, this is why the phone is nessasary, the receiver calls in every so often, maybe once a night or a week or something to that affect, at that time the access card is read and the PPV added to your bill.

If you order from Online, they already have access to your records and are bill at that time.

So if you ordered PPV with your remote and did not have the phone plugged in, after the receiver tried to phone home a few times ... after you have ordered a set nubmer of movies or events you will then get a ext. # on your screen when you go to the PPV channels and you will also have to call in before they will allow you to order with your remote.

btw, you can fill up the card. The amount of orders allowed is pre determined by D*

Jimbo

Exactly.
 
L

longrider

Member
Mar 26, 2006
5
0
I always thought the reason for the 'mandatory' phone line was to keep you from taking your home receiver to your business to avoid the insane prices they charge businesses for sports packages. I have a business account so I see the price tables (usually based on max occupancy of your building) and the only business I could see possibly justifying it would be a sports bar.
 
Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
65,960
5,353
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
longrider said:
I always thought the reason for the 'mandatory' phone line was to keep you from taking your home receiver to your business to avoid the insane prices they charge businesses for sports packages. I have a business account so I see the price tables (usually based on max occupancy of your building) and the only business I could see possibly justifying it would be a sports bar.

In reality, the phone line is just so they can access your access card to see what you have purchased, subject to change I guess....
As for the moving to your bar or whatever.
I four refering to Bars, thay have people that go to bars, just to see if you have the programming your suppose too, across the country.

They of course have a list of places that are subbing, so when they go in they know what they should and shouldn't be able to see.

But, no the phone line is mainly for sending PPV info to your bill.

Jimbo
 
charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
18,442
6
I'm Nationwide
It was one of the "maybes" of the phone line need in commercial establishments, IF the receivers actually phoned home and could verify caller ID info. I think the random humanoid checks are the most reality based, but who knows for sure 110%.
 
B

blcklab666

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 12, 2005
29
0
charper1 said:
...without the phone line you can still order PPV via the website and ALL TVs will have the same PPV turned on and then the cards will never fill up and no phone line needed. (be sure to use parental controls pswds on kids boxes)

Wait. If I orde my PPV online I could watch it on any ofmy TVs? Say, watch half of the movie downstairs then half upstairs? I thought when you ordered online it made you check a bx for the receiver you want the PPV on.
 
charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
18,442
6
I'm Nationwide
blcklab666 said:
Wait. If I orde my PPV online I could watch it on any ofmy TVs? Say, watch half of the movie downstairs then half upstairs?

Yes, thats what I have done on the rare times I order PPV; I usually can't wait and do DVD.



I thought when you ordered online it made you check a bx for the receiver you want the PPV on.


If that is the case NOW, they must have changed it since I ordered PPV last, but I do not see anything requiring me to select a specific receiver right now. It only wants me to select a time for my movie and then the next step is to pay.
 

Attachments

  • map 188d.jpg
    map 188d.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Similar threads

NateCohen
Replies
19
Views
2K
dcowboy7
dcowboy7
T
Replies
10
Views
2K
meStevo
meStevo
satjay
  • Locked
Replies
3
Views
1K
fkostyn
fkostyn
T
Replies
4
Views
2K
bases1616
bases1616
K
  • Locked
Replies
25
Views
5K
Jimbo
Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top