New to D*

  • DIRECTV HAS FULLY RESTORED SERVICE!

    After 24 hours of being down the DIRECTV has fully restored its service after a satellite issue.

    DIRECTV thanks you for your patience!!

    A BIG THANK YOU to our CUTTING EDGE team for keeping on top of this for all our members!

    CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BoBaK

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
24
0
I just switched from E* to D* because E* doesn't offer enough for an NHL enthusiast such as myself. I signed up for the Sports Pak because they offer a bunch of FSN channels from all over the country. A friend of mine said that when hockey season starts, the games will be blacked out because of competition with the NHL Center Ice package. Does anyone know if this is true? I would understand if I subscribed to NHL Center Ice, but I don't.

Does anyone have any specific info on what I can expect from the Sports Pak in terms of being able to view NHL games around the country? Will I experience any blackouts?

Also, does anyone know what FSN HD will offer? I know that FSN BA broadcasts San Jose Shark games in HD but as far I can tell, that's the only network that broadcasts NHL games in HD as of yet. Also, will I be able to see these games in HD if I live in Southern California?

Any help clarifying this for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
If you don't order NHL center Ice they will be blacked out except you local FSN
 
Games are blacked out based on the league rules and the market that claims you. DirecTV and Dish Network only enforce those rules; not make them.

If you are outside of a RSN's market, you will NOT receive their games on the RSN; you will need their (or any other sports') package; such as center ice or sunday ticket.

Any games that are blacked out on center ice (or any other pack) will be on one of the following: your local RSN, local affiliate, or another national feed such as ESPN because they have the area's broadcast rights for that particular game.

You can find more and maybe better info by searching 'black out' on the DirecTV site and by using this RSN tool with your service zip code.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004
 
So, you're saying that I won't be able to see any games on FSN? What's the point of offering these stations if you can't even view what they broadcast? It makes no sense because there is no competion in my market for these games except for NHL Center Ice, which is a subscription service.

Can anyone make sense of this?
 
BoBaK said:
So, you're saying that I won't be able to see any games on FSN? What's the point of offering these stations if you can't even view what they broadcast? It makes no sense because there is no competion in my market for these games except for NHL Center Ice, which is a subscription service.

Can anyone make sense of this?

They want you to subscribe to NHL Center Ice. Switching providers won't get you any more hockey.
 
You will be able to see games that come on YOUR claimed in-market RSN. You must buy packs to see out of market games that are not nationally televised. The leagues and teams claim that this method protects their local revenue.
 
BoBaK said:
So, you're saying that I won't be able to see any games on FSN? What's the point of offering these stations if you can't even view what they broadcast? It makes no sense because there is no competion in my market for these games except for NHL Center Ice, which is a subscription service.

Can anyone make sense of this?
You will be able to see the NHL on the OLN network channel 607, occasionally they will show a game on channel 95 in HD, Also, you will get NHL in HD on HD NET about twice a week.

I am hoping that my local FSN will show the Red Wings in HD this year, but no word yet, I emailed them Thursday....

Look on the RSN chart (the link that Charper mentioned) to see what you can expect in your area.

I use the FSN's pack because I want strictly my team, and yes it does work and it's a lot cheaper.

Jimbo
 
Jimbos said:
You will be able to see the NHL on the OLN network channel 607, occasionally they will show a game on channel 95 in HD, Also, you will get NHL in HD on HD NET about twice a week.

I am hoping that my local FSN will show the Red Wings in HD this year, but no word yet, I emailed them Thursday....

Look on the RSN chart (the link that Charper mentioned) to see what you can expect in your area.

I use the FSN's pack because I want strictly my team, and yes it does work and it's a lot cheaper.

Jimbo

So, OLN will occasionally broadcast games in HD on channel 95. How do you get this through Directv? Will the HD package get me this?
 
BoBaK said:
So, OLN will occasionally broadcast games in HD on channel 95. How do you get this through Directv? Will the HD package get me this?
I think that OLN is a stand alone channel, (not part of the Sports Pack, I have SP, so I am not 100% sure, but I think so) .
Therefore, all you would need would be the HD receiver and triple LNB.
I am hoping that the FSN's will have Hockey in HD this year like they do the baseball.

Jimbo
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.
***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)