New to Dish

JDiefenderfer

Original poster
Jul 29, 2015
Montana
Good day Gang,

We have recently moved so we are going through the pain of trying to select a TV Feed Provider. We tried Charter Cable and while their internet and phone service are wonderful their TV feed service is terrible. Anytime we wanted to watch something On Demand it required multiple phone calls and reboots.

After researching the differences between DirectTV and Dish it appears that we may try Dish next. I seem unable to find this information on the Dish Website (seems they are good at marketing but no so good on providing actual information) and while searching I came across this forum.

This brings me to my first two questions.

1. We have three TV's. Main Floor LIving Area, First Floor Living Area and First Floor Workout Room.

2. It would be a very rare occasion that all of them would be on at the same time but if so, will we need a separate receiver for each TV in order to watch separate TV shows.

TIA,
James

With the Hopper/Joey system, you would have one Hopper at your main TV, and a Joey at each of your other two locations. The Joeys simply use one of the Hopper's 3 tuners, and access your recordings and other features. In essence, you have just one receiver, and two access points. The Hopper costs $12 per month, each Joey $7.00

I would add that if you may use 3 TV's at once then perhaps you would want a super joey in place of one of the joeys to give you 5 tuners, the price for the super joey is $10/month instead of $7.

Also as usual if you do go Dish hit one of us up here for a reference code to save you and them $50.

2. It would be a very rare occasion that all of them would be on at the same time but if so, will we need a separate receiver for each TV in order to watch separate TV shows.

TIA,
James
If you want different programming at all three locations simultaneously, you would need a Hopper, Super Joey or Joey at each location.

Super Joeys add two more tuners to the Hopper so if you watch a lot of live programming and do a lot of recording it might be a better option for one location than a regular Joey. If you watch mostly from the DVR, the extra tuners may not be useful to you and you can save a few $ each month.

Having a separate Hopper, Super Joey or Joey at each location, is ideal but there there are other options:

You could use a wireless Joey and move it between the two least-used locations. The only cable connections you'd need to make are power and HDMI. You can do this with a wired Joey too but it's not as easy: you'd also need to connect the input coax. You also need to add a termination to the unused cable.

If your third TV is not used for long periods of time, you can buy one instead of having Dish supply it. The advantage is that you can activate and deactivate it from your account and only pay the monthly fee the months you use it. (If it is a leased unit, you need to return it when it's not being used.)

The other option is to "mirror" the Hopper/Joey at one location to a second TV. Both TVs at these two locations would receive the same programming since you are just splitting the output to the other TV. HDMI splitters do exist. Other than that, you need to send standard definition to the second TV which isn't sufficient quality for most HDTVs. Hopper does have analog component outputs that could be sent to the second TV but I'm guessing you wouldn't want to mirror that to your least used location but only you can judge that.

Instead of the Hopper/Joey you could go back one generation of products to a 722K. That is a DVR with 2 tuners. TV1 is a high definition output TV2 is a standard definition radio frequency coaxial cable output that can be run to additional TVs. If you are only running 3 TVs with TV 2 and TV3 mirroring ( showing the same channel) there is no additional receiver fee.

Thank you all for your replies. Here is what I think I have learned.

1. I need a Hooper Receiver and a Joey connected to each TV.
2. This will allow each TV to view a separate channel.
3. Darren can provide a $50 discount, if I am nice ;)

You could also do 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey, which would get you an extra tuner, double hard drive space and redundancy in case of Hopper failure. That would cost you $2 more than the 1 Hopper, 1 Super Joey, 1 Joey setup, and $5 more than a 1H, 2J setup.

Sounds like a plan!

Yes, and you don't even need to be nice (just PM me if you want a code). :)

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts