New to EA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

oldford

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
Eastern Maine
I recently returned to Dish and have a Hopper 3 and a new dish pointed at the eastern arc. Last time I had Dish, everyone was on 119/110 and the signal strengths were all in the high 90s. Very few rain fades. Now on EA, rain fades seem much more frequent and signal strengths seem low. Ranging from 35-61 on either bird.
Do I need to peak the dish or are these numbers normal? Are rain fades more frequent on the EA? Thanks for all input!

I have many fewer episodes of rain fade on EA than I ever did on WA where my elevation angle was very low. I think the principle reason you see lower numbers is the modulation. EA is all 8PSK, whereas WA was formerly all QPSK.

I recently returned to Dish and have a Hopper 3 and a new dish pointed at the eastern arc. Last time I had Dish, everyone was on 119/110 and the signal strengths were all in the high 90s. Very few rain fades. Now on EA, rain fades seem much more frequent and signal strengths seem low. Ranging from 35-61 on either bird.
Do I need to peak the dish or are these numbers normal? Are rain fades more frequent on the EA? Thanks for all input!

From the time the EA came to be and I had to use it over the WA in Ct to get locals in HD I had more rain fades and they lasted longer than on the WA. (Still not all that often) In fact I had a set-up with both arcs in CT minus the 129 satellite I could not see and why I needed the EA.
Then in Florida I made them switch me from EA to WA to get less rain fade and I do get less. In fact at one time they changed the official install in Tampa from EA to WA. This all with a well aimed dish in each location. I don't get rain fade just because it is raining heavily, which we can get almost tropical downpours in the Summer Afternoons often. It's when a thick storm head gets between my dish and the satellite that I do get a short time of no signal.

That said I think you may need yours re aimed or make sure there are no obstructions. EA readings can't be compared to WA for signal strength, and EA is always lower. However 31 I think is too low to see.

I get fewer rain fade events with EA than when I had WA (or DirecTV), probably due to how our weather patterns tend to result in thunderstorms coming from the southwest. I expect is matters more where you get thunderstorms popping up than what ARC you are actually on.

First, the signal strength scale has been changed since the time when everyone was on 119/110, so lower numbers are normal for everyone now, regardless of arc, with Eastern Arc generally having lower numbers than Western Arc, as has already been said. 61 is a good signal for Eastern Arc. What transponders are you seeing the 35 strength on? If it is a spotbeam, that may be normal for your area. (For instance, if it is a spotbeam for another market that happens to barely reach your area, but is not intended to actually serve your area, you will see lower strength readings than normal.)

TheKrell makes a good point about the look angle to the satellites. One factor affecting the strength is the amount of atmosphere that the signal has to go through before reaching your dish. Generally, lower elevation settings will result in lower strengths, due to the satellite being lower in the sky, increasing the distance the signal has to travel through the atmosphere, and increasing the odds of obstacles (such as storm clouds) getting in the way of the signal.

Another factor, although a smaller one, is the size of the dish you are using. Like Tampa8, I also have both arcs. The dish I use for Eastern Arc is a 1000.4, which has LNB's for three satellite locations (77 / 72.7 / 61.5) and a larger reflector than the standard 1000.2 dishes. My Western Arc dish is a 1000+, which has LNB's for four satellite locations (110/118/119/129) and the largest reflector of any dish currently being installed by Dish. As a result, I hardly ever get rain fade on either arc. The main factor when I do get rain fade is which direction the storms are approaching from, like ncted said. Since the storms tend to move from west to east, I will usually lose signal on Western Arc first, while Eastern Arc still works. Then, when the storm is far enough east, the Eastern Arc signal will go out, but I usually have signal back from Western Arc by that point. It is very rare that I have signal loss on both arcs at the same time.

Since the storms tend to move from west to east, I will usually lose signal on Western Arc first, while Eastern Arc still works. Then, when the storm is far enough east, the Eastern Arc signal will go out, but I usually have signal back from Western Arc by that point. It is very rare that I have signal loss on both arcs at the same time.

When I had mixed arcs, I noticed that too. That was when my locals were on 61.5 and the rest were on 110 or 119. The cable channels would go out quite frequently because of the low elevation angle from northern VA. So I'd switch to locals and wait. Occasionally they'd disappear too, and sometimes they wouldn't. I attributed this to the higher elevation angle which is about 45 deg. It pretty much requires a thunderstorm right over top of me to take out 61.5. The WA sats disappeared many many times due to thunderstorms so far away, I could neither see nor hear them.

Reactions: pattykay
IOW, from where you’re at, EA should be better.

And thunderstorms at the uplink center may degrade signals even when YOU have clear weather.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

I redid my soffit and pushed up on the dish and knocked it off kilter now it’s raining out so I did a quick fix to get some signal. What should I be peeking it at once it stops raining I have a average of mid 60 on 61 .5 and low to mid 30 average on 72 . I don’t know if the mast is off plumb I didn’t move the dish . I have a hopper 3 eastern arc hybrid lnb . Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I redid my soffit and pushed up on the dish and knocked it off kilter now it’s raining out so I did a quick fix to get some signal. What should I be peeking it at once it stops raining I have a average of mid 60 on 61 .5 and low to mid 30 average on 72 . I don’t know if the mast is off plumb I didn’t move the dish . I have a hopper 3 eastern arc hybrid lnb . Thank You

On mine, and I don't know where you are, but if I go to the Dish screen on the Diagnostics page, using Transponder 3, the 61.5 is at 66 and the 72 is at 51

Reactions: ewindowman
I'm currently at our Adirondack cottage site connected to the permanent 1000.4 EA dish here. I'm seeing low to mid-50's across all three sats. I can tweak the dish a bit and get close to 60 on any one sat at the expense of the other two, so I leave it at the best compromise, favoring 61.5 and 72.7 over 77.

61-5 is 66 and 72 is 44 . I don’t have any issues but it seems low . Could it be the mast or move the dish a bit . Or a bit of both.

First make sure the mast is absolutely plumb in both directions. Then if there's still a significant difference between the two sat levels try turning the dish just slightly one way or the other to see if both numbers get closer to the 60's. Use a marker to show your starting position. When the numbers are peaked that way, try adjusting the elevation slightly up or down to peak it again. You may drop a point or two on one sat as the other one comes up. Lacking a good signal meter, it'll be easier to have someone watching the signal levels inside while you're outside at the dish. A cell phone on speaker in your shirt pocket makes a pretty good hands free walkie-talkie... :)

It’s raining here so hopefully tomorrow I can get outside and level it up I removed the bottom bolts to install the new fascia and pushed up some than pulled it back down and put the bolts back. I figured I was good to go . I also noticed that the signal meter keeps freezing up for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)