new to satilight have a question

sullic82

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
I am thinking of getting dishnetwork and was wondering if there are any problems with the picture when the weather gets bad like when its cloudy, raining, snowing, or windy? Also is the multisport package worth the money.

thanks

Welcome to the Dish Network Forum and Satguys. If your dish is properly aligned you will not have any problems :) I have had mine up for over 3 years and have not had any dropouts other than when there was a tornado out there.. and it was raining like a hurricane :) Lasted only 20 min and everything was back up. My dish so far has had a reliablity rateing of 99.9999 of uptime in the past 3 years..

Agree what bob said, the key is have the dish properly installed and aligned. I have had no broblem since it was install, maybe a total few minutes of total outages during some worst stormy days.

That's the most unique spelling of 'satellite' I have seen in a while.

As others have said, if aligned correctly and you lose signal, you'll probably be too busy seeking shelter to notice.

Pepper said:
That's the most unique spelling of 'satellite' I have seen in a while.

It's not really unique. It's just totally wrong in every way. I'm still amazed that these people get to the site. The site is "satelliteguys.us" but they can't spell "satellite." It's not satilightguys.us. They must use a search engine.

a really dark cloud cover will cut the signal down worse than anything

I've had downpours, blizzards, ice here in Minnesota and a really heavy cloud cover (right before it starts storming) it will cut out. But as everyone above attested, it works 99.99% of the time as long as its properly aimed :)

i had dish in fl and it was properly set up with both 110 and 119 greater than 115 in strength. i had dropouts very often when it rained.

In 7+ years I have had maybe 2 dozen dropouts of perhaps 5 minutes or less. These only come during hard rain, and I think once during a major snow squall. In my case clouds alone have never caused a problem. Sometimes one receiver drops-out while the other (looking at a different sat I guess) is not affected, I never bothered to confirm. This has never concerned me, and compared to the local internet outtages over cable, I'm blessed! Interestingly, when I do get a dropout ("Acquiring Signal..." screen), then I know we're about to be hit by a doozy as usually I get the drop-outs before the rain hits...!

Last edited:
I can top that. I've been through a hail storm and a hurricane without losing a signal. During Hurricane Rita, I actually watched coverage of the storm moving through my city without losing a signal. Of course, when the power went out, it didn't matter.

Watch out for trees in the Spring time, I have hear of lot's of complaints with poor signal due to trees the leave out in the spring or grow in the path of the beam from the Satellite to the Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)