New user with questions on Digital Home Advantage

planetmn

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
With the rising cost of cable, I'm thinking about moving to Dish Network and trying out the Digital Home Advantage program. I don't want to sign any commitments or buy any equipment at this time, so it seems like a good option for me.

I want to hook up two TV's, the downstairs TV (main TV) and the upstairs TV (small one for the wife while she sews). I don't like the idea of just using a 522 receiver, because I would like to be able to watch different shows on each TV while recording a third. The following is how I'd like to set it up.

Hook up the downstairs TV to the 522 TV1 outputs. Hook up the upstairs TV to a 311 receiver. Run the output from the 522 TV2 through an RF modulator (quality for the upstairs TV isn't an issue, only a 13" screen) and connect this to the TV/Cable coaxial input of the 311 receiver.

I believe this would allow me to control/watch the 522 from either TV, while being able to utilize the dual tuners to record a show while watching two others.

I believe using the 522 and 311 receivers in this way would only cost the amount of the programming package plus $4.98 for the DVR fee. Is there a fee for the second receiver (the online package builder doesn't list one, but I thought there was)?

Will this setup work?

Also, what is considered standard installation? My two options (we rent) are to put it on the roof over the front door and run the cable through the window opening (does anyone have any experience with the flat coax made specifically for going through window openings?) or to install the dish on the ground (maybe using a pole) and using the same coax that the cable company has installed coming into the house. Would either of these be standard installation? Do they charge extra for mounting hardware?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
-dave

There is a cost for the second receiver at $4.99 a month for the additional outlet fee. The second tuner on the receivers with dual tuners are waived when the phone line is plugged in and remain plugged in. That means if you get a 322 it would cost you no more per month than what a 311 would cost you in which would allow you to watch something on two different tv's with the 322 while two shows were recording on the 522. You could hook up the tv1 output of the 522 to the antenna in on the 322 and diplex it off in the other room where the 322 tv2 output will be at for the 522 tv2 output. Standard installation is two rooms per dual tuner receiver and one room per single tuner receiver. That means you will get three rooms with a 522 and a 311, four rooms with a 522 and 322 receiver.

I dont know if the DishPro technology would work well with that flat cable thats used for going through a window since it required a certain frequency to work correctly. Legacy switching and lnbf's has no problem with this and if you had a Legacy quad lnbf for the Dish500 then it would work but SuperDish markets use all DishPro technology for their switches and lnbf's. All new hardware that is supplied has been DishPro for a while now and that is what they would bring to your house unless otherwise specified if the product is available.

As for using the house cable - maybe for one of them - if it's not split somewhere in the walls. You MUST have a separate cable from the dish to EACH tuner. That means TWO cables for the 522 - unless YOU fork out the money for DPPlus switch or LNBF.

Simon,
I did not know that, thanks for the info. I figured only one coax run from the satellite was required and I could split it inside the house.

My goal was to try to minimize any installation holes/effects since it'd be easier to convince the landlord to allow me to do this (I can't put the dish on a patio or porch, so the "exclusive use" ruling I don't think would apply).

-dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts