New VIP 612

goober55

Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I wanted to add a second HD DVR to my setup, but DN wanted $399 ??!! The service rep said that because I already have 2 dual tuner receivers that I could not lease any more equip & had to buy. I went on ebay & bought a new in box VIP 612 for $199 which I thought was reasonable. My question is, that this receiver probably wont have a new smart card in it right ? Will I have to get a card from DN or will it be able to be activated cardless ??

Thanks, Ed

My 222k had it built in when I ordered it, no need for new smartcard
ask dish if the 612 needs the new smartcard,I think it does.

I bought a new 722 off ebay and it came with the new smartcard already embedded. I have since leased 2 VIP612s from Dish and they also have them already embedded.

More than likely it should be ok, depends on how old it is. Worst case scenario would be having to wait on them to mail you a new one.

Curious though, I just upgraded to HD last week. Had an old 522 and a 510. 510 is owned, 522 is leased. They upgraded me to a 722 at no charge and I added a 612 (still keeping the 510) and only had to pay $75. I didn't think that was too bad. Was also told they'd give me 5 months of HD for free (wait and see on that one)

More than likely it should be ok, depends on how old it is. Worst case scenario would be having to wait on them to mail you a new one.

Curious though, I just upgraded to HD last week. Had an old 522 and a 510. 510 is owned, 522 is leased. They upgraded me to a 722 at no charge and I added a 612 (still keeping the 510) and only had to pay $75. I didn't think that was too bad. Was also told they'd give me 5 months of HD for free (wait and see on that one)

That's because you added the additional tuner at the time of the upgrade. If one tries to add a tuner after the upgrade, then they will have to pay full retail. My cousin was quoted a similar low flat one time fee for her additional tuner and box beyond the 4 leased, but it all had to be done at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)