new ViP 622

Maxim

Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Hi guys,

I think this is my first post to this forum. So let me introduce myself first. I have come to the US from Europe. In Europe I installed my Sat equipment myself as we don't really have any providers but everything is broadcasted FTA (free without encryption). I believe there's some FTA channels here as well but nothing really interesting without going with Dish or DirectTV. So I decided to go for Dish. The ViP 622 receiver made a good impression so I ordered the kit.

Everything came in 2 nights ago. I installed everything myself and wanted to activate the receiver. Well they wouldn't let me but insisted that an installer comes over to install everything. The earliest date I was given though was June 25. That's well into the soccer world cup and basically was not possible. I tried to call them the next day again, gave them the R and S numbers and the friendly lady on the phone that time got me all activated. So as of then I'm a happy camper.

I do not have a regular phone line at home but only internet through a "naked" DSL line (only DSL and no dial-tone). I tried to hook up the receiver through an ATA (analog telephony adapter) and have it connect to the server but it's just not working. Since getting a land line will cost me more than $5.00 per month I will probably end up living with that additional charge.

What I wonder though is:

- Why do they charge $5 extra just 'cause there's no phone line?
- What information gets transmitted to the server wwhen the receiver makes a connection (besides of course when I order a pay-per-view)?

best regards,

maxim

Maxim said:
- Why do they charge $5 extra just 'cause there's no phone line?

You'll learn that Dish is a firm believer in the "because we can" fees. This is one of them. Other than PPV, it only real use it to help prevent account fraud (for them)

OH... and welcome to the US!

:welcome

Dual tuners are seen two ways by dish and I would also asume its investors. With an active phone connection your 622 is seen as a single tuner to some degrea on your account. The receiver periodicly checks for an active connection and when it doesnt find it it lets you know on the screen that it cant find one and you need to check the connections, this is ofcourse avoidable by either having the active connection or by having dish put in a bypass code that ofcourse will cost you $5.00 a month.

Ok so without the active telco connection to your receiver now dish must activate the monthly fee and this basicly says that you have 2 active receivers on your account wich with true individual receivers there is a monthly additional outlette fee of $5.00 a month and this is where additional revenue is generated.

The idea behind having the telco line to a receiver is that it makes it significantly easier for you to order pay per view content such as movies, sports, special events and adult media.

Dish and Directv both have some of the lowest prices for programming packages around and Dish doesnt make a profit on a significant amount of its subs until after a year, this is usually on the subs who order low end packages such as family package or at60 but go for mid to high end equipment such as dual tuner dvr's but its all a part of the " give it to me for free" mentality that us Americans have.

Fight on, fight man. My Dish 1000 VIP622 system was installed by me personally using the fence post digger and 4x4 treated pole, runs like a charm. Compression connectors, grounded and surge protected thx the education i received on satguys!

Those guys need prodding to get their act together. BTW, the injun outsourcing gang can get very upsetting, because although they are very polite they tend to come across like parrots, repeating endlessly what they have written in front of them. If you dont get anywhere ask to be transferred to a US CSR. They will say "I cant do that, but maibe if you call again you will get to talk to one", and indeed likely because your number gets put on a code of some sort, you get a Yank to talk to, meaning making constructive conversation.

They activated me after i took some flak.

Last edited:
Kandiru said:
Fight on, fight man. My Dish 1000 VIP622 system was installed by me personally using the fence post digger and 4x4 treated pole, runs like a charm.

Geeze, and all I have ever used is cable cutters, a crimper, and a wrench. :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

As mentioned after the 3rd time they activated my receiver. Since my VoIP service cannot connect to their modem line I'll have to live with the extra charge until they start to use the ethernet port and offer the same service through internet. On the phone someone in tech support did say that this was planned but he couldn't give any date or other information to when this might be available.

Seems like a nice box though. Also seems worthwhile to look further into. I haven't had the time yet to open it and see if there's a serial port or similar. Also I couldn't sniff the ethernet port yet to see if it's possible to boot the machine without the internal disk. It's likely though that some sort of operating system (could it be Linux?) runs on that machine.

ciao,

Maxim

What VoIP service are you using. There's probably a way to make it work. I've seen plenty of threads around here about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)