New Wiring help

Asdad3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Need some advice on the best way to run some new cable wire (RG-6). I want to run the new wire from the satellite to a downstairs bedroom that has the basic tv cable installed. Any help would be much appreciated!

running cable

RG-6 is the right choice for satellite signal cable, First i will need to know what type of system you have. Is it a free to air system or a DBS service like Derrrect Teev or Disch Nitwork. Misspelling on purpose. It will depend on if you have a multiswitch on your system that would receive signals from multiple satellites. or if your system receives from only one satellite location you would need a dual output lnb on the dish assuming you only have one receiver now. Let me know what your setup is so i can help. :)

I currently have dish network, twin LNB, access to the cables from the attic, and wanting to run the cable to a downstairs room. I would like to know the best way to run the new cable to the room......how can I get it there without messing up insulation, etc......

access from attic

Not knowing the layout of your house or type of construction you may have to run the cable directly from the dish off of the lnb down the outside of your house to your additional receiver. It will probably be quite difficult to run the cable out of the attic without some type of destruction to the insulation. I am not sure where your dish is located (maybe on the roof) if you feel confident and safe enough to climb up there and run another coax directly from the lnb. run it from the lnb down the house to a ground block with weatherproof connectors. This will be the best way to do it. Use plastic zip ties that are UV resistant to secure the cable to the dish mount. You should have an existing ground block on your system somewhere. If it is a single throughput get a dual throughput block. these are available at any electronics store or your local walmart in the electronics dept. Should be less than $10.00

Do you have anytime of chimney chite or ventilation cahse that you can access from the attic to your basement?? If so drop a line down that. If your basement is'nt finished yet you should be in good shape. If the basement is already finished, is ther a cable outlet in the room that you are wanting to put the recieber in?? If so were is that ran to and can you access that?

no $ 1.00 ground blocks around here

although i have to agree that a dual ground block for a dollar is quite appealing , the cheapest i have seen them in any electronic store around here is $4.99. It just depends on the economy of the area where you live. I have seen them online 50 pack for $100.00

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)