Newbie asks-Is this considered piracy??

quaffin1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Hey guys. My question is, If I have an existing account with Dishnetwork with 2 rcvrs. Can I take one of these activated receivers to my fishing camp, install a separate dish, purchased from ebay or somewhere and watch TV while at the camp, while only paying DN the extra $5.00 for the additional receiver? Obviously when I'm watching the TV at the camp I am not watching the TV at home, so technically I'm not stealing anything, just watching it at a different location than the unit was activated at. Right?
After I receive your input, I have another question.

Next question - My 2nd receiver that I am paying for has recently gone bellyup. Talked with DN techs and they agree it is not seeing satellite. So this 301 receiver needs to be replaced. I see newer 322 receivers that allow me to get 2 tuner feeds. Since I have to buy a rcvr anyway, what would be negatives of getting a 322 unit. Dishnetwork tells me it would still only cost $5.00 to activate a 322 like a 301, but they say it is complicated to hookup correctly.
If I buy a 322 would a standard Dishpro 500 dish with dual LNB be all that is required?
Thanks in advance for helping with this.
I just can't see having to pay $40+ bucks for the at home service and then having to pay this again for the camp which only gets used once or twice a month.

If you take the existing receiver with you to the camp then there is no issue. People do it all the time. People take their receiver from home to their cabin or lake house and bring it back after the weekend :)

No problems here

quaffin1 said:
Next question - My 2nd receiver that I am paying for has recently gone bellyup. Talked with DN techs and they agree it is not seeing satellite. So this 301 receiver needs to be replaced. I see newer 322 receivers that allow me to get 2 tuner feeds. Since I have to buy a rcvr anyway, what would be negatives of getting a 322 unit. Dishnetwork tells me it would still only cost $5.00 to activate a 322 like a 301, but they say it is complicated to hookup correctly.
If I buy a 322 would a standard Dishpro 500 dish with dual LNB be all that is required?
Thanks in advance for helping with this.
I just can't see having to pay $40+ bucks for the at home service and then having to pay this again for the camp which only gets used once or twice a month.

I think the 322 is lease only

Iceberg said:
If you take the existing receiver with you to the camp then there is no issue. People do it all the time. People take their receiver from home to their cabin or lake house and bring it back after the weekend :)

No problems here

Well, that's not quite accurate. It's not piracy but it is EXPLICITLY against DISH's rules.

Is anyone here going to fault you for doing it? No.
Is it still against the rules? Yes.

Here is a dealer on ebay that is offering 322 units for sale for about 60-70 bucks. If this is indeed true, do you see a problem with purchasing this 322 for use as I stated previously? I would just activate it at home and then carry this 322 unit to the cabin and connect to a separate dishpro 500 dual LNB dish. Thanks for feedback.

THIS RECEIVER IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT DISH NETWORK SINCE THEY USE IT PRIMARILY FOR THEIR LEASE PROGRAM. IT HAS A VALUE 0F $249.95
IT CAN BE USED TO OPEN A NEW ACCOUNT OR TO UPGRADE YOUR SYSTEM WITH THEIR PERMISSION.

IT COMES FROM A DEALER CLOSE OUT AND THUS THE EXCELLENT PRICE AT THIS AUCTION. IT HAS NEVER BEEN ACTIVATED SO IT DOES NOT COME FROM A LEASE. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE RECEIVERS WHICH HAVE BEEN ON A LEASE LEGALLY BELONG TO DISH NETWORK OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES.

IT COMES COMPLETE WITH 2 REMOTES, CONNECTING CABLES PACK AND MANUALS

quaffin1 said:
Here is a dealer on ebay that is offering 322 units for sale for about 60-70 bucks. If this is indeed true, do you see a problem with purchasing this 322 for use as I stated previously? I would just activate it at home and then carry this 322 unit to the cabin and connect to a separate dishpro 500 dual LNB dish. Thanks for feedback.

THIS RECEIVER IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT DISH NETWORK SINCE THEY USE IT PRIMARILY FOR THEIR LEASE PROGRAM. IT HAS A VALUE 0F $249.95
IT CAN BE USED TO OPEN A NEW ACCOUNT OR TO UPGRADE YOUR SYSTEM WITH THEIR PERMISSION.

IT COMES FROM A DEALER CLOSE OUT AND THUS THE EXCELLENT PRICE AT THIS AUCTION. IT HAS NEVER BEEN ACTIVATED SO IT DOES NOT COME FROM A LEASE. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE RECEIVERS WHICH HAVE BEEN ON A LEASE LEGALLY BELONG TO DISH NETWORK OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES.

IT COMES COMPLETE WITH 2 REMOTES, CONNECTING CABLES PACK AND MANUALS

It can be activated as an owned receiver. It does not have to be a lease. The dealer is incorrect. As long as it's never been activated before, it can be activated without a lease.

chaddux said:
Well, that's not quite accurate. It's not piracy but it is EXPLICITLY against DISH's rules.

Is anyone here going to fault you for doing it? No.
Is it still against the rules? Yes.

I understand if it is permantly left at the 2nd location, as that would be "account sharing"...but I didnt know you couldnt take one to another place for the weekend

Here's one problem I can see with taking a 322 receiver back and forth to your cabin...When you disconnect it from your phone line to move it, Dish will charge you a $4.99 extra receiver fee (which they waive if you keep it continuously plugged in to your phone line). Since you will have to pay the extra receiver fee, you would be better off just getting two 301s and taking one of them back and forth to your cabin, IMO.

Iceberg said:
I understand if it is permantly left at the 2nd location, as that would be "account sharing"...but I didnt know you couldnt take one to another place for the weekend

It may be more of a gray-area. If it is against the rules, it shouldn't be. You should be able to, temporarily, take your receiver with you to a cabin. No one is going to fault the OP. Just don't plug it in to a phone line while away from home.

BabaLouie said:
Here's one problem I can see with taking a 322 receiver back and forth to your cabin...When you disconnect it from your phone line to move it, Dish will charge you a $4.99 extra receiver fee (which they waive if you keep it continuously plugged in to your phone line). Since you will have to pay the extra receiver fee, you would be better off just getting two 301s and leaving one at your cabin, IMO.

Uh, not quite. As long as it's able to connect at least fifteen days before your next bill date from your home phone line, the fee is waived.

I appreciate the feedback you guys are great. My current receivers (501 & 301) have never been connected to phoneline. Dishnetwork installer told me not to worry about it, as long as PPV was not an issue. He hooked it up, not me. Does the 322 "have" to be connected to phone line? No phone service at the cabin, we just use cell phone there.

quaffin1 said:
I appreciate the feedback you guys are great. My current receivers (501 & 301) have never been connected to phoneline. Dishnetwork installer told me not to worry about it, as long as PPV was not an issue. He hooked it up, not me. Does the 322 "have" to be connected to phone line? No phone service at the cabin, we just use cell phone there.

The 322 will incur an extra "Phone Line Fee" if it does not connect to DISH Network at least 15 days prior to your bill date. The connection MUST be over your home phone line or the charge will appear. This fee is only to dual-tuner receivers.

Looks like I should have had this discussion, before I placed my bid on the 322 unit on ebay this morning. As fate would have it, this is one bid that I will probably win. I'll just resell it or something. What's the difference between the 311 and the 301 units? Since I don't have a phone jack near my rcvr units. Also keeps me from being tempted to indulge in the PPV business.

quaffin1 said:
Looks like I should have had this discussion, before I placed my bid on the 322 unit on ebay this morning. As fate would have it, this is one bid that I will probably win. I'll just resell it or something. What's the difference between the 311 and the 301 units? Since I don't have a phone jack near my rcvr units. Also keeps me from being tempted to indulge in the PPV business.

You can retract your bid. You'll have to lie about the reason but it can be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)