Newbie asks-Is this considered piracy??

If you must connect to a phone line and don't have one handy you can use "wireless phone jacks" but they are a bit pricey, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/4mpwx Search for "wireless phone jack" and (maybe) "DBS" via a search engine to turn up more items.

Basically, you plug a phone line into a 'master' unit and plug it into the power receptacle, then anywhere in your house you plug in a 'slave' unit and then plug your sat rcvr phone line into that slave - working phone connection!

Make sure they are ones that are for use with a modem.

Charlie Ergen, CEO of Dish Network, said in a previous Consumer Charlie Chat years ago that it was ok to take it with you to a second location but you cannot have it at two locations at the same time where two different families are viewing at the same time.

quaffin1 said:
IT HAS A VALUE 0F $249.95

The retail value (or what some may consider as cost to the retailer seeing it is only supposed to be available as a lease - which is generally the retail value) is $149.00 on the 322. It is $349.00 for the 522.

I know this might have been touched on but if you do intend to buy and use this receiver you should call Dish and ask if they will let you activate this particular receiver under your account. Also it is kinda a pay in the butt for a novice to install it. I would suggest staying with 2 if for no other reason then when it quits working no tv versus 1 quits working so only 1 tv etc...

Halalooya, lost my bid tonight for the 322 unit, which after hearing from you all would have caused me problems. (Since no phone connection). I think that I will get a 311 or 301 unit. Deactivate my old 301 that has recently gone on the blink and just have DN activate the new unit as my 2nd rcvr.
Then I can take this 2nd rcvr to the cabin and connect to a dishpro 500 dish w/ dual LNB.
Sound like a plan that will work?
I don't currently have local channels at home, but if I did get local channels, (Superdish, I guess would be needed) what would happen if I carried this rcvr 2 hours away to the cabin, would I get the same local channels in this local (If again, I had superdish setup)?
Thanks for the knowledge.

if you had an identical superdish you should get the same locals in both places. If you don't care about locals at the cabin, just remember to run a switch check everytime you move it and you should be ok.

chaddux said:
Well, that's not quite accurate. It's not piracy but it is EXPLICITLY against DISH's rules.

Is anyone here going to fault you for doing it? No.
Is it still against the rules? Yes.

Charlie Ergin told a caller to take a spare receiver to their vacation home and that he did this as well. So the CEO of the company ENCOURAGED subscribers to do this.

Also it is not against explisitly agains the RA to use services in different residenses. It is against the RA to use two receivers in two residenses AT THE SAME TIME. If you use one or the other, you are okay.

See http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/RCA/index.shtml Section 1 paragraph f.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
Charlie Ergin told a caller to take a spare receiver to their vacation home and that he did this as well. So the CEO of the company ENCOURAGED subscribers to do this.

Also it is not against explisitly agains the RA to use services in different residenses. It is against the RA to use two receivers in two residenses AT THE SAME TIME. If you use one or the other, you are okay.

See http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/RCA/index.shtml Section 1 paragraph f.

See ya
Tony

Per your own link, "If you desire to receive Services at two different locations, you must open a separate account for each location."

It does not say ANYTHING about "the same time" or "separate times." You are reading too much into it. It doesn't matter if you take all of your receivers with you, you are still receiving service at a second location without paying for a second account. Charlie Ergen has shown in the past he doesn't always get things right. Irregardless, NO ONE CARES but DISH. This argument is moot because nobody cares and the OP is not going to get caught.

Chad, let it go...when some one makes issues over spelling, I realize just how little real substance their arguments actually have.
This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to the same telephone line
That's the line you are stuck on. Okay. You win. But the CEO of the company encouraged a subscriber to do it on a live call-in show and also said he did this himself! Additional receivers for RVs are ENCOURAGED. I have him on tape and PVR saying as much. If it came down to it, I could win a law suit because of this. As long as you don't use the two receivers to provice service to two residences at the same time you are fine.

See ya
Tony

Stargazer said:
Charlie Ergen, CEO of Dish Network, said in a previous Consumer Charlie Chat years ago that it was ok to take it with you to a second location but you cannot have it at two locations at the same time where two different families are viewing at the same time.
I can confirm that - saw it myself.

Pick up a used 301 or 501 (I've got one of each for sale :rolleyes: ), leave it at the cabin, pay your $5/month 2nd box fee for the privilege and don't worry about it.

You said you have a dish with A dual LNBF - I assume you really mean a TWIN.

i don't think taking your receiver to a vacation home is wrong.

charlie must be kicking himself now for saying that.

welcome to satelliteguys to the two new users in this post. visit often.

SimpleSimon said:
Pick up a used 301 or 501 (I've got one of each for sale :rolleyes: ), leave it at the cabin, pay your $5/month 2nd box fee for the privilege and don't worry about it.

That's what we've done for 3 years now....only had to bring the receiver back when they did a card swap for the 301 (blue card to yellow one)

I had a 301, it was constantly loosing signal, they sent a replacement and it did same thing, the 311 just keep humming along.

TNGTony said:
Chad, let it go...when some one makes issues over spelling, I realize just how little real substance their arguments actually have.

You've been around for, what, like 8 or 9 years? If you don't know how to spell the CEO's name by now, someone needed to tell you. Correcting a spelling error has nothing to do with substance.

I don't doubt that they are encouraged. I'm just reading exactly what DISH says. Like I've said twice before, NO ONE CARES. If it's against the rules, it shouldn't be. You shouldn't be required to pay a separate account to go on vacation.

Continuously connecting 322s?

chaddux said:
Uh, not quite. As long as it's able to connect at least fifteen days before your next bill date from your home phone line, the fee is waived.

Is that official? When I got mine, Dish warned me it must be continuously connected to a phone line. I asked about temporary phone outages or if I had to disconnect it to move my phone connections and they said to call them to avoid being charged. Shortly afterwards I rewired the phone connections by my computer/receiver and forgot to replug the receiver phone line back in for a few days. There were no charges so obviously its not an immediate issue. But this is the first time someone has actually mentioned a specific time period.

John

We consistantly take a couple of dish receivers with us when we go out camping, I have a portable dish on tripod.

Alot of people have went from cable to dish just for this purpose, you can't take cable on the road. but you sure can dish. Wether it's against the rules or not, Dish and probably Direct have gained alot of subscribers just for the portability reason alone.

My Brother in Law would have never dropped cable for Dish had it not been for the the ability of taking it with them.

jpezz said:
Is that official? When I got mine, Dish warned me it must be continuously connected to a phone line. I asked about temporary phone outages or if I had to disconnect it to move my phone connections and they said to call them to avoid being charged. Shortly afterwards I rewired the phone connections by my computer/receiver and forgot to replug the receiver phone line back in for a few days. There were no charges so obviously its not an immediate issue. But this is the first time someone has actually mentioned a specific time period.

John

The "official" statement is that it must be continuously connected. However, having been involved with testing of 522 software, I learned that the charge appears if DISH's system has not heard from the receiver within 15 days prior to your bill date. This has resulted in receivers that are continuously connected but, when no PPV is purchased, connecting once a month and that connection being more than 15 days prior to the bill date resulting in an erroneous charge.

sprintcarcrazy said:
We consistantly take a couple of dish receivers with us when we go out camping, I have a portable dish on tripod.

Alot of people have went from cable to dish just for this purpose, you can't take cable on the road. but you sure can dish. Wether it's against the rules or not, Dish and probably Direct have gained alot of subscribers just for the portability reason alone.

My Brother in Law would have never dropped cable for Dish had it not been for the the ability of taking it with them.

Nothing like roughing it :)

You can use a PrimeStar Dish with PrimeStar lnbf to get your locals instead of using a SuperDish but it can be hard to tune in to the satellite and you would need the appropiate switch to hook up to your Dish500.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)